HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: 3EC Like it love it or hate it?
Love it 51 32.48%
Like it 77 49.04%
Meh... 15 9.55%
Hate it 14 8.92%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:53 PM
Editor

3EC Like it love it or hate it?

3EC Like it love it or hate it?

Should be interesting poll results for this one, as it seems to be a polarizing type of design. A few months ago, I would have voted 'meh', or maybe even 'hate it', but the more I see it the more I like it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:56 PM
Editor

Shaw 1 by Calgary Renders, on Flickr

Shaw 2 by Calgary Renders, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 9:25 PM

As with any project, materials and execution will decide whether it's a winner or just another in our growing collection of mediocrity.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 9:33 PM

yes if the materials are great then i think it will be a very nice addition.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 10:38 PM
BANNED

I voted like based on the presentation model pics posted on their Facebook page which show a much nicer glazing skin than the pics above. Don't have time to post those pics right now.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 10:47 PM

My fear is that some bean counter will demand to have the hole filled in into to maximize profits, and turn it into a boring old box.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:04 PM

I love it. Yeah, so it's kinda weird looking, this city..make that this country is full of bland boxy buildings. It's so refreshing to see something different.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:27 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
My fear is that some bean counter will demand to have the hole filled in into to maximize profits, and turn it into a boring old box.
Planning regulation wouldn't allow it.

This tower reminds me of crazy design I would have sketched as a young skyscraper nerd. It kind of appeals to me in that way. It's still really odd though.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 12:31 AM

I love it ... Its going to be the most unique building in calgary. it seems they going to start construction next month. looking forward!!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 12:53 AM

It's certainly distinctive enough that, once built, I think it will distinguish itself in Calgary's skyline.

I say, "once built" because I think the renderings shown to date make it appear more "squat" than it will be once construction has been topped off.

And, in part, I think that's due to the rendering showing what I count to be only 45 floors rising up along the flat axis of the "Stapler"...I had thought the tallest tower was 48 floors with the shorter at 44.

I don't think I've miscounted...

HT

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Planning regulation wouldn't allow it.
Good to know.

I kind of wish this building was built outside of downtown, so it would have an open silhouette. I have a feeling that it being in the core and around other taller buildings (and most likely surrounded by others sooner or later), it will lose some of the magic. Imagine if it was somewhere relatively flat, how cool of a landmark it would be if you could see it from really far away (ie, like the Westgate Park condos).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 2:43 AM

Looks alot better here IMO.

from facebook, originally posted by Surreal.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 2:47 AM
Fake News

I voted meh because I'm still not sure if I like it or don't care. I agree it will come down to quality of materiAls and actual execution. I'm not worried about other buildings hiding it's presence in the skyline because there's shaw court across the street and nothing else can be taller closer to the river. I will say though that I'm happy to see something different.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 3:08 AM
not a NIMBY

It is better than another beige subdivision with a stupid name.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 3:22 AM

Hate it. The base doesn't fit with the rest if the building and something about the bridge is really awkward. Change the Shaw logo to some gaming corp trying to get into the Vegas condo market and 3EC would be at home.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:22 AM

I voted Hate it in the Poll, basically, I just think it looks silly! (Of course I'm kind of conservative when it comes to design). Quite frankly I don't think Calgary has to adopt all these "Quirky" or "Far Out" "Space Odyssey" types of developments. This place isn't Dubai or Shanghai.

Last edited by TallBob; Mar 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 5:25 PM

Without the bridge (just a tall podium and two glass tower with curved efface), it's a solid aesthetic and nice addition to the skyline. The bridge, while I'm not sure it makes the project any better or worse, makes the project one of a kind and insights interest to someone who sees it on a postcard or in the background of a Peace Bridge photo. The 3EC bridge feature seems as if a teenager dreamed it up, which is a good thing; it's unorthodox. And look! It has us all talking about whether we like it! If architecture ought to inspire discourse, 3EC clearly accomplishes that. The reason I like it is because of its general aesthetic (glass, massing, colours, shape), which is multiplied because of its originality.

I agree that materials will make a big difference. Overall, I'm just happy more development is finally going in to west Eau Claire, and this seems like an improvement over many of the towers in the area. +2 for mixed use.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:54 PM
Great White Norf

In a city full of bland, boring boxes from the 70s-90s (sometimes in duplicate or triplicate ) I'm happy to welcome this to our downtown skyline. I don't 'love it' but definitely like it! The model looks really good (hope when built it looks as good quality and they don't cheapen out on materials or change details) and with construction starting this summer, they aren't messing around!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
In a city full of bland, boring boxes from the 70s-90s (sometimes in duplicate or triplicate ) I'm happy to welcome this to our downtown skyline. I don't 'love it' but definitely like it! The model looks really good (hope when built it looks as good quality and they don't cheapen out on materials or change details) and with construction starting this summer, they aren't messing around!
Seconded. Though, I voted "love it".

Certainly, the quality of the materials will determine how great it ends up being. But, I think the potential for something outstanding is there.

Personally, to make it totally awesome, I'd like it if the glass were fairly dark. And, I'll admit, I think it would look better if the podium were a bit shorter/the towers were a bit taller.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 8:56 PM

I preferred the original design of 3EC. Can`t seem to find it at the moment but will keep looking. The design was really "farout"and would really have made a strong statement along with the "peace bridge nearby" that Calgary is a very modern city and a leader in architectural design!! It would have been both controversial yet awesome at the same time.
One more thing, they really should drop tower two of the Herald Square proposal, significantly increase the height of tower one at the same time producing something unique and original. OK, OK, I can always dream can`t I???????????????????/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates