HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:02 AM

I don't think this tower is all that bad, I just think we could have got something far better for the money they are obviously going to spend.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:03 AM

whatever i love this building and i think it fits in the skyline so well

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:38 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Calgary has no history and likely never will, so post-modernism isn't the insult it would be in an established city. This design is somewhat overwrought and disharmonious, but overall I would still take it over a stylistically pure, but still boring mimimalist box. Hopefully, this one is still a work in progress. Regardless, I can't see it or any large project for that matter going ahead as the housing market is slowing rapidly (ex. listings are at a record high).
That may be true. Some of the ill-conceived projects will no doubt fall by the way-side. The advantage this project has going for it in terms of feasibility is its mix of uses. If it were all residential, all commercial, or all hotel, it would have no hope. But there is a little bit of each, so I think it will likely take off.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 12:28 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
People just have bad taste IMO. The market is absolutely on fire, but many of the projects being erected are really lacking in design credibility. Things are coming around though, and there are a few great projects on the horizon. I personally have a major vendetta against facadism and POMO that will never end. I guess its more a personal issue than a market issue, but I'm not shy in saying that I think that Calgary needs to do better.

could not agree more....this is nothing more than a box with a five west on top...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 3:32 AM
Calgreedian

The more I look at this building the less I like it.
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
could not agree more....this is nothing more than a box with a five west on top...
it's not just a box at all

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 5:24 PM
Community Guy

^sorry a collection of boxes.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 6:24 PM

The more I look at this one, the more I like it. The biggest issue is the transition from the mostly hard surfaced base to the mostly glass upper section. The transition needs to be more gradual of the lower sections need more glass and the upper sections need more concrete/granite/stone.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
That may be true. Some of the ill-conceived projects will no doubt fall by the way-side. The advantage this project has going for it in terms of feasibility is its mix of uses. If it were all residential, all commercial, or all hotel, it would have no hope. But there is a little bit of each, so I think it will likely take off.
True, but given the way the market is heading, I can't see any new projects with significant residential getting off the ground. I wouldn't be surprised to see inner city condo prices fall 20-30%.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 9:39 PM
Community Guy

^wont fall 20-30% but wont rise for a while...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 3:46 AM
Round Head

We've heard there was a major redesign and a new architect for this project. A Vancouver firm and a contemporary design - not Trump lite any more.

Great news! 50 storeys and no more spire.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 6:02 AM
Tribune in all her glory.

Awesome! This could really make a mark on the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 4:15 AM

Definately. According to Unibrain who posted some unofficial numbers in the Calgary thread, its looking to be 243m to the top of the spire. Roof height will be less then the Bow still, but probably not by that much (Bow is 236m)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:13 PM

cant wait to see the re-design.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 7:04 AM
Majestic

This project is now called The Grand

We are still waiting for new renderings

Flickr

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 8:07 AM

It looks like San Diego's Electra Building on steroids. But they have done a bad job with this, and it looks somewhat shoddy...

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Calgary has no history and likely never will, so post-modernism isn't the insult it would be in an established city. This design is somewhat overwrought and disharmonious, but overall I would still take it over a stylistically pure, but still boring mimimalist box. Hopefully, this one is still a work in progress. Regardless, I can't see it or any large project for that matter going ahead as the housing market is slowing rapidly (ex. listings are at a record high).
Really? No history at all? That must be rough! That design is disgusting, it is everything that is wrong with post-modernism, a jumble of random styles, bad proportions, over complicated in some areas and boring in others, ICK. And BTW minimalist boxes are not boring, if you've ever been in or right next to a Mies building its quite and exciting experience, the way the building lifts up from the street and creates a forrest of pillars that draw you in to a lobby that is made of such clear glass that you feel like your not even in a building at all, but still outside. Its quite wonderful actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post

We've heard there was a major redesign and a new architect for this project. A Vancouver firm and a contemporary design - not Trump lite any more.

Great news! 50 storeys and no more spire.
Thank God! I'm glad this nasty design with the tacked on spire will be replaced with something that at least has a chance of looking good.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 7:20 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Really? No history at all? That must be rough!

It depends on what you mean by history. Calgary does have history if you're comparing it to a city like Chicago which isn't very old either, but doesn't have much history when compared to European cities, or even eastern NA cities like Boston, or Philly.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 7:10 PM

reminds me of the austonian in Austin.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 8:43 PM
Majestic

New Rendering:

Height Unknown but estimated +215m

Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates