HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 3:27 AM

Are these updated renderings an indication that the project is moving ahead ?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:01 PM
Hypnotized

I wouldn't doubt it. This is one of the big Calgary projects that I really hope goes through. It would be fantastic for the location.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:14 PM

Massive project set for Eau Claire
Hotel, condo, office towers part of complex
MARIO TONEGUZZI CALGARY HERALD May 4, 2007

One of North America’s largest investors, owners and managers of commercial real estate is planning a massive redevelopment of a downtown Calgary block in the Eau Claire district that would include a hotel, a condominium tower and a 40-45 storey office tower, the Herald has learned. Cadillac Fairview on Thursday purchased the 50 per cent interest Calgary-based Aspen Properties had in the block located between 2nd and 3rd Street S.W. and 2nd and 3rd Avenues. The two companies previously had joint ownership of the block known as the City Centre project.

John Sullivan, executive vicepresident of development for Cadillac Fairview, said the company is thinking of a mixed-use project “which would include office, residential and potentially hotel.” He said the office development would be about one million square feet and the residential and hotel would be about half a million square feet. “We’re working with the city on our development permit as we speak,” said Sullivan. “And we hope to have that done by the end of the year — by fall. And we would hope to get going on the whole project next year.” He said the company hopes to have the project completed by 2010 or 2011. The office component would be one tower of between 40 to 45 storeys. Sullivan said the residential component would probably be one tower tied into the hotel. He said he couldn’t comment on the hotel proposal.

Neither Sullivan or Scott Hutcheson, president and chief executive of Aspen, would disclose financial details of the transaction. “Cadillac Fairview has purchased our interest. They now own the block,” said Hutcheson. “We owned the block. We took it through the development permit phases eight years ago, sold 50 per cent to Cadillac and we are now going to focus our energy on (the Calgary Tower) site. “Cadillac will focus their energy on the City Centre site.”

Aspen has redevelopment plans for the block that houses the Calgary Tower to include three new office towers totaling more than one million square feet. Aspen purchased the City Centre block in 1998. Cadillac Fairview purchased a 50 per cent interest with Aspen in January 1999. “They’ve been great partners. It’s been a great relationship. It’s nothing to do with anything other than we’ve grown and we don’t have unlimited capital and (the Calgary Tower block) is a big project for us and we don’t have unlimited time,” added Hutcheson.

Mike Gigliuk, director of research for Alberta for CB Richard Ellis, said a typical downtown city block is about 140,000 square feet and the value would range from between $600 to $800 per square foot. A typical downtown block would be valued between $84 million to $112 million, he said. Tod Hughes, president of Avison Young Commercial Real Estate (Alberta), said the City Centre block is a good location.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:47 PM

It was 53 floors, so hopefully they end up sticking with this height, and the design is great too. Possibly the site of a future Ritz Carlton for the hotel?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBoy View Post
It was 53 floors, so hopefully they end up sticking with this height, and the design is great too. Possibly the site of a future Ritz Carlton for the hotel?
That would be nice, but 53 storeys is pretty tall with the proximity to the river. I really hope this one get in the ground this summer along with all the others.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:28 AM
I love boxes.

Amazing towers, could be another addition to Calgary's growing skyline

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 4:50 AM
Hypnotized

Has anybody heard anything new on this project? I'm assuming that even if there were to be a drop from 53 to 45~ stories that it would still crack 200m?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 5:17 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

I remember seeing a redesign around the same time that the FCC2 drawings were released, but there hasn't been much discussion about the project since.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 6:43 PM
Majestic

Finally some news on this project. Total redesign. No idea on what the height is at now, but I would eyeball it at around 160m to the roofline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7
Newest Renderings for the City Centre Project office tower here in Calgary. Architects are Zeidler Partnership (Toronto) and BKDI (Calgary). 850,000ft²

There will be a future residential phase and a loft concept block as well. Total project size is 1,500,000ft²

Flickr

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 7:09 PM
Editor

Does anyone remember this pile of shite design?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 10:42 AM
Majestic

So this project is now going through CPC. Just the office tower, and it seems to me that the second tower (residential) is just plain cancelled for the time being.

DP-2007-3134

Spire Height - 116m
Roof Height - 109m

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 12:51 AM

Ah disappointing, but no surprise.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:37 PM
Hypnotized

New rendering:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:24 PM

Looks good, hopefully the market will recover soon so that we can build it!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 9:14 PM

Hey guys, little thread bump here. With record office absorption in Calgary this project is stirring again and could see construction start as early as Q4 2011 Q1 2012.

The revised project stats are:

One office tower 36fl, 161.5m
One mixed use tower 47fl, 151m

Square footages will be released at a later date but the office tower will be roughly 1,000,000sf and the mixed use near 700,000.

Design is the exact same as previous, adjusted for new height and floorplate sizes.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 9:36 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Can someone post what the latest rendering is? Some of the images in this thread are broken links, and the main non-broken ones have a broken 'latest rendering' after them.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 1:39 AM
Round Head

http://www.calgarycitycentre.ca/

The various renderings can be found here. Just go into the vision, office, residential and hotel sections.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 8:58 PM

i like how this tower will give the effect of stepping up toward the taller towers behind it. thoughtful touch if you ask me. i think the project would be better off with the hotel. it would help to fill in the block. to bad. it also looked good beside the office portion of the tower.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
i like how this tower will give the effect of stepping up toward the taller towers behind it. thoughtful touch if you ask me. i think the project would be better off with the hotel. it would help to fill in the block. to bad. it also looked good beside the office portion of the tower.
I didn't read that the hotel was not going up. The posts mentioning that previously were three years old!

Anyone know if it is down to the office building only, or if the hotel / residential are back in?

I think they look very nice. Like the green roofs and the non-uniformity (without being extreme about it).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 10:24 PM

Shouldn't the thread say approved and not proposed?
The Permit was approved at CPC back in 2008 wasn't it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates