HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:35 PM

To Revit or not to Revit....

....that is the question.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I thought I'd poll all of you architecturally savvy people here to determine what your thoughts are on Revit.

I see advantages of using Revit on multi story high rises but I'm sure I'm sold on using it for commercial retail projects.

The interesting part is I have some architects try and sell me on it being the best thing ever for any type of project be it, commercial high rise, institutional, commercial retail, and list goes on. Then any time we make a revision to the plans I get an extra service work order followed by another charge for "re-modeling" through revit.

Then I have other prominent architects tell me they're not using revit where I was adamantly told it was the best thing ever.

Thoughts?? And, go.....

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 8:33 PM

Never used Revit myself, but my coworkers doing structures and mechanical engineering projects have and the building modeling it offers is second to none. No better way to see problems before they happen then having it all modeled in 3D.

If the revisions you give them are minor, I imagine the bill they're sending you wouldn't be much more than editing drawings and reissuing them, if they're using Revit properly. If they're adopting it now and learning the ropes, then they may be passing off extra costs there, though it could be beneficial in the long run to have the model over some 2D drawings.

Revit is also key in BIM, but since handing over the model may not be commonplace here yet, it's only something to keep in mind. Elsewhere in the world it is a standard requirement in lifecycle management to have some kind of 3D model handed over at the end of the project.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 10:25 PM
Bring buildings to life

I am currently learning Revit at work where I am fully adapted to AutoCAD. Setting up parameters during initial design is much harder, but making design changes during progress is easy peasy . Unlike AutoCAD, integration between spreadsheets and drawings is phenomenal in Revit. I know some architects prefer Revit for that very reason.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 12:17 AM

Yes... I'm all about revit... Won't go back... And hate it when I do! I don't know how can build certain buildings without using revit... ie: cmhr in Winnipeg. Any changes are done in one model instead of 10 Autocad files. It's simple and pretty easy to use. Been working with it for 5 yrs or so now.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 5:39 PM

I have never used Revit but my colleagues do, using it to design institutional buildings and high rise offices. Its utility on a commercial retail project seems limited. Modelling the base building in Revit is all well and good but it's pretty much useless for fitting out CRUs. I'm not sure it would have much use for BIM purposes in such a project.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 9:11 PM
Here and There

Were having issues adopting Revit at our office. It just doesnt appeal to Landscape Architects yet..........but I hope to add it to my list of programs I know and use soon.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Were having issues adopting Revit at our office. It just doesnt appeal to Landscape Architects yet..........but I hope to add it to my list of programs I know and use soon.
...but you could use it to confirm the tree root balls fit within the tree grates...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 9:33 PM
Here and There

Yes, our balls dont always fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamned View Post
...but you could use it to confirm the tree root balls fit within the tree grates...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates