Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Great picture.

Shut up about Taylor Swift.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
Here is a video showcasing the stadiums and arenas of Toronto complete with jokes. I have not seen a video before showcasing the various venues within a particular Canadian city.

https://youtu.be/VA4CAeIuQ4s?si=X1Ow7W9-R940CND7

neat video, I had no idea U of T had a 100 year old hockey arena tucked in up at Varsity Stadium. I wonder if it's open to the public at all? Would be fun to skate there.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Bound to be a couple of Jays fans on this forum so I'll post this here too. These folks are fast.

Rogers Centre Renovations | Phase 2 | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous l nearing completion

This is why it’ll never be Rogers Center… it’s SkyDome!! Open in March lol. Almost done the Phase 2 renos reshaping/aiming the rest of all seating from the outfield to behind the plate.

The construction management team deserves applause to pull this off in just 5 months. Maybe hire them to complete The One (from 56 to 91 floors in just 9 months lol).

ChesterCopperpot

Late November:

ChesterCopperpot
Will there be another grand opening extravaganza? Nothing will beat the cringy grand opening ceremony of 1989, complete with a song called "Skydome", sang by Alan Thicke and Andrea Martin. Who needs Taylor Swift when you have Liberty Silver, and Toronto Police Motorcycle Precision Team?

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:49 PM
Community Guy

Rogers Place/ICE District - 10 years later

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/10-years...orts-1.6840793

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:30 PM

https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/morni...nomic-malaise/

CFL expansion promoter eyes Charlottetown because of Halifax and Moncton’s ‘pervasive socio-economic malaise’

A colleague brought a story in the PEI Guardian to my attention. It’s about a proposal to bring a CFL team and stadium to Charlottetown. That’s right. When efforts have failed to secure a stadium in Moncton or Halifax, you keep going down on the sucker list. Who knows? Maybe Charlottetown will bite.

Logan MacLean reports on a presentation to Charlottetown’s committee for economic, tourism and cultural development, by Raymond Samuels, a team/stadium proponent. Of course, Samuels doesn’t say he hopes Islanders will be bigger suckers than mainlanders. Rather, the stalled efforts in Halifax and Moncton leave the door open for PEI.

Yeah, OK. That’s one way to look at it.

From MacLean’s story:

This is a great initiative for the Island,” [Samuels] said. “It is a multifaceted proposal which incorporates with that an outdoor stadium, the Island’s first outdoor stadium. It would be multipurpose in concept, and an extensive sort of social housing infrastructure as part of the concept.”

The idea includes a new, 25,000-seat stadium, tentatively called Confederation Square. The organization had spoken with some local property owners but did not have a location picked yet, Samuels said.

The Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce supports the idea “in principle” of course, even though there is no site, no funding model (Samuels wants the support of politicians before seeking partners), and there’s been no gauging interest among residents.

And, a 25,000-seat stadium to serve an island whose population is about 175,000? Sure, people travel to PEI, and I can imagine going on holiday and also taking in a football game. But is that a sustainable model?

In a new twist, Samuels says “social housing” would be an integral part of the stadium development, and would require government funding. See? So you might hate sports, but do you hate providing low-cost housing too?

To his credit, MacLean follows up with Samuels to try and pin him down on some — any — specifics:

Samuels wanted to wait for word from the city council on its next steps before revealing details about other collaborators. He did expand on who has shown interest, saying 95 per cent of people he’s spoken with in business and community organizations have been keen on the idea.

“This is the kind of energy we’ve been getting from people in Charlottetown, outside of Charlottetown, on the Island.”

Well, I guess we might as well start breaking ground for the stadium then.

On its website, the Atlantic Moose describes itself as “a community-driven consortium which seeks to establish the Canadian football league’s 10th team on Prince Edward Island in the proposed Confederation Stadium complex.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 5:03 PM

Charlottetown ending up with a bigger stadium than Ottawa. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 7:40 PM

That "story" came under the subheading

Morning File, World Class Bullshitters, Grifters, and Scams

Take it as such

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 8:05 PM
Community Guy

^exactly.

Similar to Katz's visit to Seattle during area negotiations...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 10:03 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^exactly.

If only Alan Thicke was still alive...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^exactly.

Arguably it's even a bigger scam. At least Katz was trying to influence Edmonton. Highly doubt anyone from Halifax is gonna see this and think "oh man, we gotta act fast if we want to beat Charlottetown!"

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 4:29 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/morni...nomic-malaise/

CFL expansion promoter eyes Charlottetown because of Halifax and Moncton’s ‘pervasive socio-economic malaise’

A colleague brought a story in the PEI Guardian to my attention. It’s about a proposal to bring a CFL team and stadium to Charlottetown. That’s right. When efforts have failed to secure a stadium in Moncton or Halifax, you keep going down on the sucker list. Who knows? Maybe Charlottetown will bite.

Logan MacLean reports on a presentation to Charlottetown’s committee for economic, tourism and cultural development, by Raymond Samuels, a team/stadium proponent. Of course, Samuels doesn’t say he hopes Islanders will be bigger suckers than mainlanders. Rather, the stalled efforts in Halifax and Moncton leave the door open for PEI.

Yeah, OK. That’s one way to look at it.

From MacLean’s story:

This is a great initiative for the Island,” [Samuels] said. “It is a multifaceted proposal which incorporates with that an outdoor stadium, the Island’s first outdoor stadium. It would be multipurpose in concept, and an extensive sort of social housing infrastructure as part of the concept.”

The idea includes a new, 25,000-seat stadium, tentatively called Confederation Square. The organization had spoken with some local property owners but did not have a location picked yet, Samuels said.

The Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce supports the idea “in principle” of course, even though there is no site, no funding model (Samuels wants the support of politicians before seeking partners), and there’s been no gauging interest among residents.

And, a 25,000-seat stadium to serve an island whose population is about 175,000? Sure, people travel to PEI, and I can imagine going on holiday and also taking in a football game. But is that a sustainable model?

In a new twist, Samuels says “social housing” would be an integral part of the stadium development, and would require government funding. See? So you might hate sports, but do you hate providing low-cost housing too?

To his credit, MacLean follows up with Samuels to try and pin him down on some — any — specifics:

Samuels wanted to wait for word from the city council on its next steps before revealing details about other collaborators. He did expand on who has shown interest, saying 95 per cent of people he’s spoken with in business and community organizations have been keen on the idea.

“This is the kind of energy we’ve been getting from people in Charlottetown, outside of Charlottetown, on the Island.”

Well, I guess we might as well start breaking ground for the stadium then.

On its website, the Atlantic Moose describes itself as “a community-driven consortium which seeks to establish the Canadian football league’s 10th team on Prince Edward Island in the proposed Confederation Stadium complex.
Was the story dated April 1st ?

I have to admit though - I do find the idea kind of intriguing.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:17 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Arguably it's even a bigger scam. At least Katz was trying to influence Edmonton. Highly doubt anyone from Halifax is gonna see this and think "oh man, we gotta act fast if we want to beat Charlottetown!"
Haha... that's what I am betting on.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 12:42 PM

I always thought Katz was pronounced like "Cats", but I guess it's more like "Kates"?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada