HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:26 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Twinning #1 all the way to the border? Paging Dengler Avenue!!!

Those are some loooong overdue improvements.
It says "East of Westhawk access".

Nothing about the much longer 2-lane section between Falcon Lake and Westhawk...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:30 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
The words "intersection improvement" horrify me. It suggests that these locations which should really be either closures or grade separations are going to be at grade intersections for the foreseeable future.

That said, big win for the twinning of TCH to the border and the Symington overpass. Long overdue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

Nothing about the much longer 2-lane section between Falcon Lake and Westhawk...
Still something, but okay, that’s pretty inline with Pallister.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

Whoops

My grasp on the geography out there is a bit limited, I read that and assumed it meant filling in the entire gap. Oh well, at least it's a start.

I wonder if they might consider rebuilding the 1950s-style grade separation at West Hawk into a proper interchange while they're at it?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:45 PM

There's also structure designs services for rehabs for all 3 structures out there. So I would assume the would plan for future twinning at that time. So it's basically like a twinning plan.

3 structure rehabs and then grading functional design in the longer gap between Falcon and the 301 overpass.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:59 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Should I... Should I present my map to M.I.T. lol?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:01 PM

Oh there this one. This is it right?

C01270 01 RFP ESP Functional Design
Bituminous Reconstruction (Twinning) 5.0km West of PR 301 -- Ontario Boundary Unorganized
Territory Aug

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Should I... Should I present my map to M.I.T. lol?
Please do.

SSP gets shit done! haha

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:03 PM
What could go wrong?

We are out at Falcon and every time I go under those structures (Falcon and Westhawk) I always think to myself - those are the thinnest bridge structures I have ever seen. I know the arching design offers maximum support, but damn I'm nervous every time I go under.

Glad they will be upgraded.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
We are out at Falcon and every time I go under those structures (Falcon and Westhawk) I always think to myself - those are the thinnest bridge structures I have ever seen. I know the arching design offers maximum support, but damn I'm nervous every time I go under.

Glad they will be upgraded.
Glad they're getting upgraded too, but I really hope they don't go hog wild and put in massive over-designed structures that will cost two arms and a leg. These glorified box culverts that were built back in the day functioned fine for the most part and must have been dirt cheap to build back in the day. My inner cheapskate is actually quite impressed with the value they squeezed out of these.

I know highway standards have changed and everything new is "interstate standard" but I would hate to see a design where you could easily just re-build 3 basic structures for the price of 1 new-style with all the bells and whistles.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:25 PM

I always think the same thing. They look supper thin. Must be pre or post tensioned cables in there.

Like I said I would assume they will be built for future twining. Will need to push them out one way or another. Hopefully they can find a balance between super interchanges and what is there now.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Hopefully they can find a balance between super interchanges and what is there now.
In my map, I drew it in a way that modification to the interchanges with 301 then with 44 will be minimal. I took that into account.
As I've always said in the TCH thread in Ontario subforum, I just wanna do this cheap.
By the way, the link to the map is in my signature. I know it says Northern Ontario, but it also covers the last 26 km of MB-1 and Upper Ottawa Valley.
As a disclaimer, I'm no civil engineer, so I can't go into too much detail in my design, but at least I can trace thousands of km's of Google Street View to see where to put the other set of lanes.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:15 PM

Wenzel should be connected to the the new service road at birds hill road, and deacons corner needs a grade separation, Like cmon already it’s 2020. Intersection improvements on the trans Canada hwy or perimeter hwy sounds absolutely ridiculous..

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:47 PM

Wenzel at the north end is connected to the service road, so doesn't connect to 59. But at the Perimeter, it would likely be a diamond interchange similar to the other smaller, single lanes diamonds planned for 100.

Deacon needs to be blown up something similar to what will be done with McGillivray. I don't think they can adequately deal with the intersection having the railway so close. Move the highway north to get away from the railway and put in a diamond. Biff's drawn that one up before.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Alright Biff should present that to M.I.T. too. Tonight, if I have time, I may actually consider showing M.I.T. mine too.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:06 PM
What could go wrong?

Kind of like this

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Could you try uploading the photo via imgur instead? This way there will be no watermark in the way of the photo. Also try putting x on the abandoned alignment instead of brushing it out. At first I thought that was the red river crossing.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 8:34 PM

It's weird that there were no provisions made for interchanges or grade separations when the highway was twinned. People were allowed to build pretty well right up to the corner forcing the province to build an entirely new segment of highway. Same thing at Oak Bluff.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 8:50 PM
What could go wrong?

How bout this

Sorry, I don't have the time or patience to redo it with the current highways "x" out.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 9:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's weird that there were no provisions made for interchanges or grade separations when the highway was twinned. People were allowed to build pretty well right up to the corner forcing the province to build an entirely new segment of highway. Same thing at Oak Bluff.
More like, “We have space to slip in an interchange so no worries.”
Then the bar got raised. “Oops we must realign as per the new standard.”
It’s the same thing in North Bay, ON. The development jumped what was supposed to be North Bay Bypass and M.T.O. didn’t think much at first. Then the bar got raised, so now one part would need realigning for eventual grade separation.

Then you have something like Thunder Bay Expressway which wasn’t even envisioned to be widened to four lanes let alone grade separated back in the 60s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
How bout this

Sorry, I don't have the time or patience to redo it with the current highways "x" out.
Thanks, this is good.
I just wanted to make sure that M.I.T. would understand what you’re proposing.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 9:45 PM

I mean they probably could get an interchange to physically fit. But they would need to build a wall basically right at the edge of the lane/shoulder, to be able to get the ramp to fit between the track and railway. #1 going over whatever the crossroad is. Then you have the issue of roadway intersection right next to the railway crossing. It's just a mess.

I'll just do the functional design for MI right now for PTH 1 out to PTH 12. Diamond interchanges at both ends of 207 and at 206. PTH 1 over the crossroads. Close all median openings and access points to PTH 1. Done. I will take payment of the $3 million now please.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan