HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Brings to mind the "tri-state" and "tri-county" areas oft-mentioned in U.S. films and shows. Quad-muni is a step up, though perhaps less verbally appealing.

And I wonder if Samuel Ryckman was the same surveyor whose name was coined for 6 & 53 (now Upper James and Rymal) in south Hamilton.
There are houses on all four corners of this place. I wonder if the neighbours talk to each other about what their property tax rates are and what services they get. Milton and Halton Hills are in Halton Region. Erin and Guelph/Eramosa are Wellington County. For instance, does the Halton Region side get garbage pickup like residents in the populated cenrtres would, while the others on the Wellington side have to drive theirs to a dump or hire a private service because their municipalities are more rural in general?

When I hear tri state area, etc. it's funny to me because the states are so different from each other. It's even very noticeable for tri county. Some counties sell booze while others, like Sevier County, home of Jack Daniels, are completely dry. When I was in FLA, I wanted booze at like 8pm, but Coral Springs didn't allow sales at night or something so the gas station guy told me to drive a few minutes south into whatever town that was to get some. They are both in Broward County. So even town by town differs quite a bit. Just look at their police. There are 31 incorporated communties in Broward. Almost all of them, if not all, have their own police force with their cars driving around.

London might not be so obvious because it's all jammed together, but there are 32 boroughs that make up Greater London. There used to be 86. All with different characteristics in some respect. For instance, different styles of street signs and bike lanes being on one side of the road and then the other side when entering the next borough.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Peter's Corners

I seem to recall some in the rural parts of Niagara and Haldimand and Norfolk. Can't think of their names offhand though.
Norfolk has two separate "Bill's Corners", but only one pops up on Google maps - both have Norfolk Country road signs marking them. "Bill's Corners" that appears on Maps is just west of Simcoe, while "Bills Corners" (no apostrophe) is northwest of Waterford.

Streetview of the roadsign marking it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9633...8192?entry=ttu

Maps directions between the two:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bill...!3e0?entry=ttu

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Orwell Corner and Poole’s Corner PEI, and Sussex Corner NB (off the top of my head). I’m sure there are others.
It's not incorporated, but Richmond Corner is part of Woodstock New Brunswick, on the road to Houlton, Maine. It's basically where the Old Houlton Road meets the roads to Debec and Redbridge. Checking google I see McKenzie Corner and Brigg's Corner and Union Corner in the area too. Seems to be a whole lot of corners all around eastern New Brunswick now that I look at Google.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Was at the Cambridge Centre mall. As an angler and someone who very much appreciates rivers, especially beautiful ones like the Grand River, I love that they built this into the floor.

I couldn't tell what each community on this was supposed to be, but if I were a local I would know and would find it even cooler?

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:10 PM
Ham-burgher

This angle is basically looking toward the south from a point north of Cambridge. So Hespeler is in the foreground bisected by the Speed River, Preston is farther back on the right where the Speed curves to meet the Grand River, and Galt is in the background. The 401 cuts across left-right and that bigger interchange is the one at Hespeler Rd./Hwy 24, with the Franklin Blvd. partial IC to its left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Was at the Cambridge Centre mall. As an angler and someone who very much appreciates rivers, especially beautiful ones like the Grand River, I love that they built this into the floor.

I couldn't tell what each community on this was supposed to be, but if I were a local I would know and would find it even cooler?

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:22 PM

Quote:
This angle is basically looking toward the south from a point north of Cambridge. So Hespeler is in the foreground bisected by the Speed River, Preston is farther back on the right where the Speed curves to meet the Grand River, and Galt is in the background. The 401 cuts across left-right and that bigger interchange is the one at Hespeler Rd./Hwy 24, with the Franklin Blvd. partial IC to its left.
That's some good geographying there!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada