HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 12:06 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
in the specific cases of the 14 major office towers that have been built in chicago over the last 2 decades, i don't recall any of them being shortened due to NIMBYism/panderhackic privilege.

the heights of office buildings recently built in downtown chicago really do seem to be driven almost exclusively by market forces.
The days of new office towers not having NIMBY push back in Chicago *might* be numbered.

As the prime developable lots in the Loop proper as well as River North and West Loop get whittled away, new office buildings will start sprouting up in more residential areas of the central area. That's bound to piss off residents who, having just moved in from the collar counties, feel that nothing new can ever be built again

This might not be a real problem for several more boom-bust cycles, but I feel it will be inevitable as the neighborhoods around the Loop continue to densify and gain more and more residents.

Just a theory...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 1:09 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
in the specific cases of the 14 major office towers that have been built in chicago over the last 2 decades, i don't recall any of them being shortened due to NIMBYism/panderhackic privilege.

the heights of office buildings recently built in downtown chicago really do seem to be driven almost exclusively by market forces.
I may be mistaking office towers with residential and hotel, but do office towers not need to get height approvals? And though I'm sure buildings in the loop are largely not affected by NIMBY'ism, wouldn't office towers anywhere else fall under the same spectrum of "my views", "too much shadow", "too much traffic", regardless of the intended use of the building?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
The days of new office towers not having NIMBY push back in Chicago *might* be numbered.

As the prime developable lots in the Loop proper as well as River North and West Loop get whittled away, new office buildings will start sprouting up in more residential areas of the central area. That's bound to piss off residents who, having just moved in from the collar counties, feel that nothing new can ever be built again

This might not be a real problem for several more boom-bust cycles, but I feel it will be inevitable as the neighborhoods around the Loop continue to densify and gain more and more residents.

Just a theory...
I foresee a lot of future office growth being absorbed by the north branch industrial corridor, the south loop, and that weird area just south of the OPO and west of the BNSF rail yard. There's still a ton of vacant and underutilized land within a mile or so of State/Madison.

Edit: Wasn't someone just talking about a construction permit for 3 story office building on Clybourn? Marothisu? Could be just the beginning...

Last edited by IrishIllini; Dec 20, 2017 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 3:11 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I foresee a lot of future office growth being absorbed by the north branch industrial corridor, the south loop, and that weird area just south of the OPO and west of the BNSF rail yard.
The removal of the PMDs will definitely be opportunities for office growth, but keep in mind that big trophy projects will need to be located near transportation and be as close to the Loop as possible in order to attract large tenants that make their construction feasible. The areas you mention will be more sub markets of the greater downtown area, with 10 to 30 story buildings, at least initially. You won't bee seeing 300 N LaSalle's or 200 N. Riverside's getting built there anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
There's still a ton of vacant and underutilized land within a mile or so of State/Madison.
There's no arguing that. This "problem" that I foresee definitely isn't a problem yet, nor will it be one for several more building cycles. That being said, prime vacant real estate near the core is being consumed at a fast clip. I gladly cheer the disappearance of parking lots, but once those are exhausted things start to get tricky.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:19 AM

^^^ Many of the PMDs actually sit along L lines. There's a huge one at Western Pink Line and Metra, there's a bunch along Lake Street, there's one in Pilsen along the river that's right by the Orange line and another in McKinnley Park also near the Orange. Chicago has an absurd amount of underutilized land for a city of its size and caliber.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:15 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I may be mistaking office towers with residential and hotel, but do office towers not need to get height approvals? And though I'm sure buildings in the loop are largely not affected by NIMBY'ism, wouldn't office towers anywhere else fall under the same spectrum of "my views", "too much shadow", "too much traffic", regardless of the intended use of the building?
The zoning code has a mandatory PD threshold for large residential projects, but not for office. Actually, there is a PD threshold for office/commercial buildings.

If a developer gets a site that already has a generous downtown zoning classification, then he can build as-of-right without community approvals or aldermanic meddling.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 22, 2017 at 7:25 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 11:23 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The zoning code has a mandatory PD threshold for large residential projects, but not for office. If a developer gets a site that already has a generous downtown zoning classification, then he can build as-of-right without community approvals or aldermanic meddling.
Thanks for the clarification. So still not the free market purely dictating the heights of these building. Instead of NIMBY'S and aldermen it's some zoning body.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 5:09 AM
Urbane observer

^The zoning says nothing whatsoever about height.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 12:01 PM
Closed account

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 12:04 PM
Closed account

#

Last edited by Clarkkent2420; Sep 14, 2018 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:47 PM

Thank you for always having informative responses. Are you a teacher/professor?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:53 AM

On the January Plan Commission for an amendment...

A proposed amendment to Planned Development 1369, submitted by HH Wacker Acquisition Company, LLC, for the property generally located at 110 North Wacker Drive. The applicant is seeking to amend PD 1369 in order to increase the floor area ratio from 33.81 to 35.97 for purposes of consolidating mechanical space; no other bulk or use changes are proposed to PD 1369 before it is re-established, as amended. The total bonus floor area ratio for PD 1369 will be 19.97. (19463; 42nd Ward)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:48 AM

January is shaping up to be an important month for this project and OCS!

Let's pass both.......

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 1:59 PM
BANNED

^^ Ha ha.

This dude wants to know, is the existing GGP building vacant now?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:29 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^^ Ha ha.

This dude wants to know, is the existing GGP building vacant now?
Yes, my friend works for them and they were all moved out at least a week or two ago.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 5:51 PM
Closed account

#

Last edited by Clarkkent2420; Sep 14, 2018 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 6:18 PM

The Divvy station on the NW corner Washington and Wacker was moved across the street a few weeks back I believe.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:20 PM
The City

DEMO bout to start!

Bye bye GGP shitbox....say hi to the former Sun Times building for me when you get to the afterlife

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 3:26 PM

I would say at the time it was built it served it's purpose. Mad Men should have filmed there.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:54 PM

so the whole landmark problem went away?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive