HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 3:58 PM

First crane is scheduled to go up 7/8-7/10.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=2018803

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:48 PM

Rebar, Concrete, and Dirt .. Oh My

Quite the beehive of activity this week. Traffic jams with all the trucks on 4th street.

Pile driving transitioned from the 3' piles using the closed end up rebar to a combination of 1' diameter and 3' diameter piles using rebar cages that are open at the top. They are still 5' or more below current grade, filled with concrete, capped with clean sand then filled with spoil to the current grade.

In addition they started drilling 2 large 8' diameter piles. The first took a full 3 days to drill. You can see the open rebar comes up to almost grade level. The special rectangular rebar insert apparently will go in these. They filled the hole on the left bottom to about 6' below grade and pulled out the rectangular rebar for now. They started drilling its sister hole 20' to the right.

The front loader has been busy filling a non stop stream of trucks with spoil and they have also started hauling in clean fill (red sandy loam?). It is spread in the SE corner (top right of pic). They have built that area up close to the original parking level so I guess nothing below sidewalk except the piles.

Last edited by 360_Ray; Jun 17, 2022 at 8:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:12 PM

Another great update! The fill they are bringing in matches what they are bring out of 98RR.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 4:17 PM

Pilings in SE corner

All of the pilings that have been drilled over the last two weeks were in the center of the lot. This morning they moved one rig to the far SE corner where they had been spreading the clean red fill last week. They drilled one in the very corner and now a second one along the 3rd street sidewalk. These are the smaller 1' diameter. The iron work crew was busy making a half dozen rebar cages for this size this morning so I think they are going to be doing several of these today. Took him an hour or less to drill the first one.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:12 PM

Update 6/21/22

Second large piling gets its rebar cage today. Drilling continues in the SE corner. Haul-out of 1st phase of excavation spoil mostly complete.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:55 PM

Beautiful

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 11:33 PM

They aren't messing around with this one. Less than a month ago, the only progress they had made on the site was the installation of a couple porta-potties.

From May 26th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
No activity today

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 12:33 AM

And now there's FOUR porta-potties so shit got real!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 6:54 PM

Core Piling Quartet - 6/27/22

Smaller pile driver has been continuing to drill 3' and 1' pilings on the southern 1/3 of the lot while the larger driver has drilled 4 8'+ piles in the center core area below. The first hole (which I've named John) now has its structural rebar above grade. You can see the progress on the rest of the band members in the picture.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360_Ray View Post
Smaller pile driver has been continuing to drill 3' and 1' pilings on the southern 1/3 of the lot while the larger driver has drilled 4 8'+ piles in the center core area below. The first hole (which I've named John) now has its structural rebar above grade. You can see the progress on the rest of the band members in the picture.
Dude this is awesome. Love your posts, thank you for providing these.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 5:26 PM

Core Piling Band Update / Crane Pads

Core 8' Quartet Piling Update: Paul got his above ground rectangular rebar placed and ready for final concrete. Ringo drilling is complete. Straps are attached to large circular rebar cage for Ringo (not George as I assumed; Ringo still has the steel collar insert from drilling is why I guess).

They brought in a couple small backhoes and are digging a couple 10' square holes that must be crane pads. The first one is in the center of the North edge 20' from the sidewalk which I'm pretty sure is outside the building footprint. The other is along the east edge just slightly south of center line.

Last edited by 360_Ray; Jun 29, 2022 at 6:34 PM. Reason: Rebar went to Ringo

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 6:56 PM

Update 6/29/22

Ringo getting concrete shortly after this pic

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 8:28 PM

In the 13 years I've been on this forum, I think this is the first play by play I've seen here.
I think this is awesome! Love the graphics you add. I know you have to be putting quite a bit of time and effort and for this I thank you.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 8:40 PM

I just wish the Monkees (the garage next to it) got demo'd.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 8:59 PM

For real, 360_Ray. You are the man!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywest87 View Post
For real, 360_Ray. You are the man!
Thanks for the feedback. I was a bit worried I was being a newbie nuisance with the pics and posts. Let me know if I get annoying. It's literally right out my window as I work from my desk at home.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I was a bit worried I was being a newbie nuisance with the pics and posts. Let me know if I get annoying. It's literally right out my window as I work from my desk at home.
On the contrary, I look forward to your updates and I’m guessing a lot of other people do too. The Republic Tower thread alone has nearly half a million views, and you’re the only person providing us with consistent updates.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Keep them coming. Very much appreciated.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:12 PM

Crane Pads - First Crane Section and Hazardous Spoil

Crane Pad 1 - They brought in another mobile crane and the first tower crane section has arrived.

Crane Pad 2 - If you look at my pic from yesterday you will notice the excavation spoil was put on plastic. They brought in a bigger back hoe and continued excavating on more plastic. There is a company onsite GEC Environmental that is some sort of hazardous material handling.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Crane Pad 1 - They brought in another mobile crane and the first tower crane section has arrived.

Crane Pad 2 - If you look at my pic from yesterday you will notice the excavation spoil was put on plastic. They brought in a bigger back hoe and continued excavating on more plastic. There is a company onsite GEC Environmental that is some sort of hazardous material handling.
It took years for them to get started on this building, but since it has started, this may be the quickest transition from lot closure to full on construction we've ever seen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin