HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 1:39 AM

Good to see the jcvc is still unhampered as is the drkvc.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 11:50 AM

Last edited by H2O; Sep 10, 2022 at 2:20 PM. Reason: Stupidity

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 10:32 PM
Meh

So, what's the status of 1601 and 1801 Congress? Are they complete yet? What's the streetscape looking like up there?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 11:24 PM

Drove by there Tuesday on MLK and noted that North Congress down towards the Capitol was still a mess.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 1:23 AM

I went to the Blanton a few months ago, and it looked like this was coming along but clearly behind schedule.

I expect this will look very nice when done, but I'm skeptical that it will be vibrant. That just doesn't seem like the wheelhouse of the Texas state government.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So, what's the status of 1601 and 1801 Congress? Are they complete yet? What's the streetscape looking like up there?
1601 is complete and is already occupied. The people at Hobby have been moving into it in waves. The majority of the Hobby people will already be working in 1601 in less than 3 weeks. Not sure about the status of 1801.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The webcams are still active. I checked it last week and there were some new trees lining the mall. They were also putting down some fresh topsoil although I can see why there was no rush to put down sod in a three month drought with triple degree temps every day.

https://public.earthcam.net/tJ90CoLm...apitol_complex

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
I went to the Blanton a few months ago, and it looked like this was coming along but clearly behind schedule.

I expect this will look very nice when done, but I'm skeptical that it will be vibrant. That just doesn't seem like the wheelhouse of the Texas state government.
We need more museums. We have the Bob Bullock, whatever is going in across the street, and the Blanton, but this area could really use a world class, high architecture museum or theater to really draw interest and pedestrians.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 10:56 PM
Resident Moron

It doesn't help that the Blanton is under construction as well right now, but I generally agree. The Blanton is a fantastic museum and Bob Bullock is pretty good but we could use something else in the area.

I'd love for there to be a science museum as thats something that maybe UT could team up with the city or state for.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
It doesn't help that the Blanton is under construction as well right now, but I generally agree. The Blanton is a fantastic museum and Bob Bullock is pretty good but we could use something else in the area.

I'd love for there to be a science museum as that's something that maybe UT could team up with the city or state for.
I actually thought the Bob Bullock was very well done given the subject matter. "Texas history" is basically the following: a few thousand years of native tribes with no system of writing -> a handful of Spanish and French men planting flags -> white people move in, win a war for slavery -> fail as an independent country, join the US -> lose a war for slavery -> discover oil.

All things considered they had some good stuff there .

The planatereum thing would have been cool. It would also make sense to have a Texas music and Texas technology museum in Austin.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 4:17 AM

We have grass!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 8:07 PM

The Texas Facilities Commission filed for a CVC determination today for 1501 Congress as part of Phase II of the Capitol Complex expansion.

The permit:
https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=514994

The location:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 8:36 PM

I hope they tear down all of these parking garages. There is so much space and opportunity up there to build more housing and create new neighborhoods.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
I hope they tear down all of these parking garages. There is so much space and opportunity up there to build more housing and create new neighborhoods.
I doubt that the State will sell any of the parking garages to private developers, and I don't think the State will build any housing. I'm guessing the parking will be moved underground and we'll continue to get mid-rise State offices. It would be nice if a museum was tossed into the mix.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:29 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I doubt that the State will sell any of the parking garages to private developers, and I don't think the State will build any housing. I'm guessing the parking will be moved underground and we'll continue to get mid-rise State offices. It would be nice if a museum was tossed into the mix.
Interesting that this address is not one that was included in the 2016 master plan in any of the three phases nor in the potential future buildings sites.

I wonder if this is just the REJ Conference Center, or if this includes the San Jacinto Garage (a structure that the state had, in 2016, planned to leave as is as well).

This is going to be an interesting test case, regardless, where some of the CVCs that pass over the site are city code and others are state law. Notwithstanding other definitions of the phrase “higher and better use,” the state cannot go much higher anywhere on the parcel than currently exists (maybe 20 feet?). That has me wondering if the state plans to deliberate exercise its power over the city and ignore city statute prescribed CVCs to maximize height and use. This could potentially impact the Red River CVC and the I-35 Upper Deck. I sincerely hope the state flexes its muscle here and goes taller on the latter since that view won’t exist soon anyway, but Red River is the only protected vantage North Austin where the Capitol dome can be seen and it would be a shame to lose it.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 12:45 PM
randalls

I was thinking this morning about how when the Capitol Complex is complete we will finally be able to walk in a direct path from UT Tower, then cut through the Complex, across the Capitol grounds, down Congress Ave, over the bridge and all the way down to South Congress Ave shops in one direct line - with ease. That would make for a nice long walk when you have visitors in town - able to show them the heartbeat of the city up close.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalls View Post
I was thinking this morning about how when the Capitol Complex is complete we will finally be able to walk in a direct path from UT Tower, then cut through the Complex, across the Capitol grounds, down Congress Ave, over the bridge and all the way down to South Congress Ave shops in one direct line - with ease. That would make for a nice long walk when you have visitors in town - able to show them the heartbeat of the city up close.
I recently had a friend in town and she wanted an afternoon tour. We scootered/walked this exact path: Drag, Tower, East Mall, Speedway, Ellsworth Kelly, Blanton, Bullock, Capitol, Paramount, Congress Bridge, Yeti, Jo's Coffee, Perla's, Allens Boots

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:06 AM
randalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
I recently had a friend in town and she wanted an afternoon tour. We scootered/walked this exact path: Drag, Tower, East Mall, Speedway, Ellsworth Kelly, Blanton, Bullock, Capitol, Paramount, Congress Bridge, Yeti, Jo's Coffee, Perla's, Allens Boots
It's a great path to take!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
We have grass!

I take it the walkway is now open to pedestrians? Need to take a journey over now that it’s nicer out.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
I take it the walkway is now open to pedestrians? Need to take a journey over now that it’s nicer out.
I was just there last night and not opened yet. For the photo shot I just stuck the iPhone lens through the fence. I also spotted the entrance into the underground parking garage. The other side (Blanton) is slow construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin