HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The exterior and grounds are very nice. The interior looks like a Restoration Hardware job at a McMansion.
Hehe I was gonna say Pottery Barn but Restoration Hardware works too; maybe even moreso.

I know exactly where this house is, too. You can't really see it from the street. He lives in the same nabe as Cameron Diaz, Vin Diesel... or at least they have or had houses here.

It's funny how you can drive up streets in LA and not even think of who might be living there. Leo DiCaprio lived right on PCH in Malibu; after he sold his house and they showed a picture of it, I was like "Wow, we've driven by that house so many times. Never knew that someone so well-known was living right there."

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:14 PM

I don't like the exterior. Too bland, not enough local flavor. Could be in suburban Massachusetts.

There are so many nice houses in SoCal, if I lived there I would definitely pick a house that feels like it belongs. Not like that's rare!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I don't like the exterior. Too bland, not enough local flavor. Could be in suburban Massachusetts.

There are so many nice houses in SoCal, if I lived there I would definitely pick a house that feels like it belongs. Not like that's rare!
I'm not particularly into that style either. Is that supposed to be Cape Cod or English Colonial or something? I'm really not into those.

The "traditional" styles I like are Craftsman and Spanish-style. I also like Mid-Century modern but ideally that would be on a hill or beach.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 10:55 PM

Here is Vin Scullys home in Hidden Hills. Who knew Vinny was living this large lol

A piece of Dodgers history just surfaced for sale in Hidden Hills, where the longtime home of late broadcasting legend Vin Scully is up for grabs at $15 million.

Scully, who became a baseball icon and Southern California staple during his six decades in the Dodgers broadcast booth, paid $12.4 million in cash for the compound in 2009, records show. The listing arrives two months after he died in August at 94.

Dubbed “Home Plate,” the chateau-style estate spans two acres in the Ashley Ridge enclave of Hidden Hills. It’s quite a drive to Dodger Stadium — roughly 30 miles — but the community makes up for the distance with a bucolic lifestyle where many celebrities have bought properties in search of privacy.

The property makes the most of its space with an 11,000-square-foot mansion, guest apartment and guesthouse surrounded by amenities such as a swimming pool, spa, tennis court and putting green.

Link: https://www.latimes.com/business/rea...XBuMfWWV83FAUY

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 1:53 AM

Well with all the sweat he put in for the franchise for over sixty years, I would’ve expected them to have paid him this well. I mean he started in the Brooklyn era.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I'm not particularly into that style either. Is that supposed to be Cape Cod or English Colonial or something? I'm really not into those.

The "traditional" styles I like are Craftsman and Spanish-style. I also like Mid-Century modern but ideally that would be on a hill or beach.
This is what is so funny about LA to those of us from the Midwest. And I do mean...funny. Like you squint and chuckle at these pedestrian residential styles transplanted to a Mediterranean climate. A house like that in Indiana or Michigan or Pennsylvania sells for $280,000. Transplant the same dorky house to LA and it's $5 million.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
This is what is so funny about LA to those of us from the Midwest. And I do mean...funny. Like you squint and chuckle at these pedestrian residential styles transplanted to a Mediterranean climate. A house like that in Indiana or Michigan or Pennsylvania sells for $280,000. Transplant the same dorky house to LA and it's $5 million.
You never told us that you won the election for official Spokesman for the Midwest--congratulations!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
A house like that in Indiana or Michigan or Pennsylvania sells for $280,000. Transplant the same dorky house to LA and it's $5 million.
Obviously RE is almost all location. That home in a fancy Midwestern suburb is worth a few million. It's worth 280k in a very isolated area, or perhaps one with high crime or poor schools.

In Metro Detroit, a cheap metro by U.S. standards, that home wouldn't be worth less than $1 million in any area with halfway decent public schools.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
From Architectural Digest:

Timothée Chalamet Buys Kate Upton’s Beverly Hills Home for $11 Million

By Kathryn Schultz
October 17, 2022
I liked it because it's not too big. I've complained about those massive US houses. They're excessive and hardly beautiful.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
I liked it because it's not too big. I've complained about those massive US houses. They're excessive and hardly beautiful.
It's still pretty big---at least by my standards. 5,500 square feet of house (according to Zillow) on 1.5 acres is huge in my book.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 1:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Obviously RE is almost all location. That home in a fancy Midwestern suburb is worth a few million. It's worth 280k in a very isolated area, or perhaps one with high crime or poor schools.
Yep.

A childhood friend of mine lives in a very similarly styled and sized house on an oversized lot up in Whitefish Bay, WI (one of Milwaukee's toniest northshore suburbs), and Zillow says it's worth $1.5M.

and if it were in a fancy Chicago burb like Winnetka, it'd easily be over $2M.

That's certainly not a LA-level location inflation, but it's still WAY beyond $280K.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 19, 2022 at 2:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 2:07 PM

Quote:
It's still pretty big---at least by my standards. 5,500 square feet of house (according to Zillow) on 1.5 acres is huge in my book.
Here's a listing that claims to be 15,000sq feet in Cincinnati, for $1.6 million:
https://www.sibcycline.com/listing/2...ndale-OH-45229

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Here is Vin Scullys home in Hidden Hills.
Dubbed “Home Plate,” the chateau-style estate spans two acres in the Ashley Ridge enclave of Hidden Hills. It’s quite a drive to Dodger Stadium — roughly 30 miles — but the community makes up for the distance with a bucolic lifestyle where many celebrities have bought properties in search of privacy.
Wow, I imagine he had a driver taking him to and from the ballpark. Those late night 4+ hour Dodger games must have been tough in his elder years. Hopefully he could be driven to work and prep on the way there, and then sleep on the way home.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Wow, I imagine he had a driver taking him to and from the ballpark. Those late night 4+ hour Dodger games must have been tough in his elder years. Hopefully he could be driven to work and prep on the way there, and then sleep on the way home.
Sounds right to me and I hope he did!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 11:26 PM

Quote:

In Metro Detroit, a cheap metro by U.S. standards, that home wouldn't be worth less than $1 million in any area with halfway decent public schools.
Exactly.

There are modest ~1950 bungalows in Gary, IN (like Michael Jackson's childhood home, just not THAT one!) that are worth about nothing, while identical modest early 1950s houses in the West End of Vancouver are worth $5 million. (I posted one example not that long ago in this very thread.)

In both cases, the house itself is worth approximately nothing, while the land in Gary is also worth nothing, and the land in the West End of Vancouver is worth $5M for a standard-sized lot.

Perfectly normal: any property's value is land value + value of the structure(s) on it. The former component of the price varies wildly depending on location.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:
A house like that in Indiana or Michigan or Pennsylvania sells for $280,000. Transplant the same dorky house to LA and it's $5 million.
That dorky house in LA is $5 million; but transplant the same dorky house to Illinois and then it's $50 million.

(Provided you transplanted it to that huge surface parking lot I just spotted on South Wabash in the Loop.)

Welcome to Real Estate 101: Land Value.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Here's a listing that claims to be 15,000sq feet in Cincinnati, for $1.6 million:
https://www.sibcycline.com/listing/2...ndale-OH-45229
That's insane. lol I can sell my places for this and have change leftover to live large in flyover country

I recall reading up on JD Vance, and initially wondering what kind of corruption that can allow a 30-something politician with humble beginnings to afford a 2-acre estate 5 minutes from downtown. Of course, it's much more plausible when said estate is only $1.4M and costs less than a 3-bedroom condo in Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 3:11 AM
Great White Norf

The level of pretension in these videos is hilarious
Video Link

Quote:
On nearly an acre of land just steps to the lake (Ontario), this gorgeous residence manifests timeless elegance and warmth inside and out. Custom designed with exquisite attention to detail, it is both an entertainer's dream and true family home.
Southern Ontario charmer at its finest (too bad the neighbours houses look like generic upper middle class houses)
5 bed w/5 ensuites, 12,800SF plus indoor pool, ice rink (a Canucks dream) that doubles as "paddle ball" court, conservatory/gardening room.
asking $12,500,000 CAD/~$9.2M USD
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ra-on-the-lake

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 2:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

The unit on the second floor of our 3-flat just closed a few days ago for $304/SF.

Considering the fact that we bought our unit in the building 5 years ago for only $183/SF, holy shit!!!

I thought zillow's estimated valuation of our home was pure insanity-land, but maybe not?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post

I recall reading up on JD Vance, and initially wondering what kind of corruption that can allow a 30-something politician with humble beginnings to afford a 2-acre estate 5 minutes from downtown. Of course, it's much more plausible when said estate is only $1.4M and costs less than a 3-bedroom condo in Vancouver
Ahem, he paid $1,392,500:
https://wedge1.hcauditor.org/view/re...2021/transfers

Also, his wife makes big money, apparently doing a lot of legal work in California and Washington, DC despite living in Cincinnati:
https://www.mto.com/lawyers/usha-c-vance

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions