HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 6:49 PM

Coronavirus - Phoenix discussion

I thought I would place this for a safe place for discussion and information for Phoenix and the covid-19 Coronavirus. (If not the place or need, feel free to delete)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 6:53 PM

Thank you

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 8:31 PM

There is a saying, "Worry kills more than anything else." If the virus doesn't kill us - the stress will! Remember what FDR said during the depression, "The only thing to fear - is fear itself."

We can start with no one knows 100% of anything - for sure. So, everyone has their own thoughts, conclusions, opinions etc. As I have gotten older - I have increasingly become distrustful of the media. It hit me years ago - when a reporter came to me and said (his exact words), "I need a story." I need a story...like, no matter who it hurts...what is causes...I. need. a. story. Hmmmm. Have you ever opened a newspaper - now, the internet - and seen a blank page? 24/7 - the media HAS to have SOMETHING. In just three days, everyone is practicing proper precautions - precautions that I have been doing for 40 years! Then, I was not raised by the internet or T.V. I have always worried about touching things - washing my hands, etc. People would roll their eyes and think that I was being a little overkill. In just one week - everywhere you would go - the post office, etc., people are afraid to touch - anything. I have always used my feet to open the door at the post office! But, now...because the media tells people to do it - they do it. Didn't people's parents teach their kids anything while growing up?!? Or, do parents today just stick their kids in front of a T.V. or computer - and leave them to learn from that!!?!

One thing is for sure: The economy is being destroyed....along with people's lives. Please don't misunderstand me: I am NOT putting a price on people's health. Without your health - you have nothing. I just hope that within six months or so, we don't find out that this corona virus is no different than the regular flu (roughly, 60,000 die a year). Just 11 years ago, there was the Swine Flu. 20,000 Americans died. There was no shutting down of the country...the economy. Who knows for sure. Just read that Dr. Fauci thinks that 200,000 Americans might (might) die from this. Well, if he is correct - that would be worse than the regular flu. Time will tell. In the meantime, I will continue doing what I have ALWAYS done: Opening the door at the post office with my feet(with shoes on!)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats View Post
There is a saying, "Worry kills more than anything else." If the virus doesn't kill us - the stress will! Remember what FDR said during the depression, "The only thing to fear - is fear itself."

We can start with no one knows 100% of anything - for sure. So, everyone has their own thoughts, conclusions, opinions etc. As I have gotten older - I have increasingly become distrustful of the media. It hit me years ago - when a reporter came to me and said (his exact words), "I need a story." I need a story...like, no matter who it hurts...what is causes...I. need. a. story. Hmmmm. Have you ever opened a newspaper - now, the internet - and seen a blank page? 24/7 - the media HAS to have SOMETHING. In just three days, everyone is practicing proper precautions - precautions that I have been doing for 40 years! Then, I was not raised by the internet or T.V. I have always worried about touching things - washing my hands, etc. People would roll their eyes and think that I was being a little overkill. In just one week - everywhere you would go - the post office, etc., people are afraid to touch - anything. I have always used my feet to open the door at the post office! But, now...because the media tells people to do it - they do it. Didn't people's parents teach their kids anything while growing up?!? Or, do parents today just stick their kids in front of a T.V. or computer - and leave them to learn from that!!?!

One thing is for sure: The economy is being destroyed....along with people's lives. Please don't misunderstand me: I am NOT putting a price on people's health. Without your health - you have nothing. I just hope that within six months or so, we don't find out that this corona virus is no different than the regular flu (roughly, 60,000 die a year). Just 11 years ago, there was the Swine Flu. 20,000 Americans died. There was no shutting down of the country...the economy. Who knows for sure. Just read that Dr. Fauci thinks that 200,000 Americans might (might) die from this. Well, if he is correct - that would be worse than the regular flu. Time will tell. In the meantime, I will continue doing what I have ALWAYS done: Opening the door at the post office with my feet(with shoes on!)
Yah. The UW Institute for Health Metrics predicts the first wave will peak on April 14 in the US, and that we will have around 80k deaths (range of 40-160k, but that is with our Herculean efforts) for that wave. Once we get a vaccine/treatment, I think the economy will bounce back.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 2:01 AM

Vaccines can take anywhere from 12-18 months. Things are not looking good and the projections actually state 100-200K deaths. Wtf is this administration doing? How did we get here? So sad and scary

I hope people weren’t actually planning on going out on Easter Sunday

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 1:57 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I thought I would place this for a safe place for discussion and information for Phoenix and the covid-19 Coronavirus. (If not the place or need, feel free to delete)
Thanks for setting this up. I think my brief observation about construction continuing downtown despite the virus sparked a big hullabaloo on the development thread. That was not my intent, but I should have known better. I don't have any thoughts about the virus that haven't already been said here or in the media, so I'll bite my tongue for now. I think the most productive discussion will be about local effects and responses as they occur.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 3:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Vaccines can take anywhere from 12-18 months. Things are not looking good and the projections actually state 100-200K deaths. Wtf is this administration doing? How did we get here? So sad and scary

oh they will. I can guarantee it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 6:01 PM

Here’s some raw data (and summarized) for the virus. 100k - 200k deaths to me seems like its setup to cause fear and coerce people into doing what we need to in order to slow this (i.e. stay away from other people). The % of deaths is pretty low - only a few areas have a higher than avg % of hospitalization - and they all seem to be the extremely densely populated areas. Quite curious to see how this ultimately plays out locally....

https://covidtracking.com/data/

Pull the data - track the trends yourself.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post

Let me preface by saying I didn't vote for Trump and I wouldn't vote for Trump.

Pinning this on the administration is the cop-out. This should be pinned on the American lifestyle and arrogance of the general population. We live in a country built on "me first" and "what do I get?" so telling people they can't go out doesn't work. Look at Californians flooding beaches, look at Phoenicians flooding hiking trails and parks (I live on the Bridle Path and it's shoulder to shoulder on the weekends), look at people flat-out unwilling to give up going to church. The orders are there to stay home. People aren't listening. The threat to quarantine New York was met with pure resistance. I read a nice piece from New York Post, an admittedly conservative publication, that enumerated all of the things the federal government is doing and trying to do and pointed out the ways in which it turns into fighting.

They traced the huge outbreaks in Italy and Spain back to a football match. The US doesn't have any sports going on.

Sweden is doing nothing and it's going to hell in a hand-basket.

The USA was designed to operate mostly on a state to state level, that's what people want. Now the administration is letting them operate that way and is taking heat for it, this is very much a damned if you do and damned if you don't predicament for the administration.

Like him or not, Trump and his friends are faced with a lot of very difficult decisions and are navigating a windy road with no GPS or even a map. They've outperformed some countries responses and they've fallen short of others. NYC is one of the most densely populated cities in the world and it should be a surprise to no one they're having a huge issue. A good friend, and his family, live in NYC and I'm nervous for them. There is no decision anyone in government can make that will make them less vulnerable. This is an unprecedented issue that no one in the world was prepared for. I drove by Lux this morning on my way into the office, plenty of people sitting on the picnic benches drinking coffee and enjoying their time together. You think that's not the issue we have? Easier to blame government, I suppose.

At the end of this when we look back and stop making knee-jerk assumptions and reactions, we may find that every decision was right and we may find that every decision was wrong. NOW is not the time to fight over the quality of decisions that were already made, now is the time to put that garbage aside and unify.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Let me preface by saying I didn't vote for Trump and I wouldn't vote for Trump.

Pinning this on the administration is the cop-out. This should be pinned on the American lifestyle and arrogance of the general population. We live in a country built on "me first" and "what do I get?" so telling people they can't go out doesn't work. Look at Californians flooding beaches, look at Phoenicians flooding hiking trails and parks (I live on the Bridle Path and it's shoulder to shoulder on the weekends), look at people flat-out unwilling to give up going to church. The orders are there to stay home. People aren't listening. The threat to quarantine New York was met with pure resistance. I read a nice piece from New York Post, an admittedly conservative publication, that enumerated all of the things the federal government is doing and trying to do and pointed out the ways in which it turns into fighting.

They traced the huge outbreaks in Italy and Spain back to a football match. The US doesn't have any sports going on.

Sweden is doing nothing and it's going to hell in a hand-basket.

The USA was designed to operate mostly on a state to state level, that's what people want. Now the administration is letting them operate that way and is taking heat for it, this is very much a damned if you do and damned if you don't predicament for the administration.

Like him or not, Trump and his friends are faced with a lot of very difficult decisions and are navigating a windy road with no GPS or even a map. They've outperformed some countries responses and they've fallen short of others. NYC is one of the most densely populated cities in the world and it should be a surprise to no one they're having a huge issue. A good friend, and his family, live in NYC and I'm nervous for them. There is no decision anyone in government can make that will make them less vulnerable. This is an unprecedented issue that no one in the world was prepared for. I drove by Lux this morning on my way into the office, plenty of people sitting on the picnic benches drinking coffee and enjoying their time together. You think that's not the issue we have? Easier to blame government, I suppose.

At the end of this when we look back and stop making knee-jerk assumptions and reactions, we may find that every decision was right and we may find that every decision was wrong. NOW is not the time to fight over the quality of decisions that were already made, now is the time to put that garbage aside and unify.
Yeah that's all great and dandy if you didn't have a sitting president boasting about his TV ratings while thousands of American deaths have occurred in his watch. You talk about unity? How about Trump actually leading and unifying the Governors of each state and work towards finding a solution to get the much needed supplies they need? Instead he throws a bitch fit on TV because someone talked bad about him.

And the reason why people are still out and about at Lux? Maybe it's because there is no order from Ducey for a mandatory stay in place order like in CA.
For example, you still have hair salons that are open because they are considered "essential?" Like seriously...wtf. Social distancing will only get you so far.

At this point, I would rather hear and see only Dr Fauci or even VP Pence on the briefings as he doesn't sound like a complete baboon when on TV.

Combusean - feel free to modify or just delete my post altogether as I'm sure this may piss some people off including yourself. I said what I had to say and I'm done speaking on the subject as I've gone down this rabbit hole again. As others have said including myself, can you just nuke this and ban all COVID-19 talk and focus strictly on development? Yes, we know the virus is bad and will impact developments in the Phoenix metro. Can we just focus on actual skyscraper business?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 7:39 PM

Why are you participating in the discussion if you don't wish for it to exist?

Trump is nothing but a talking head at this point, he isn't making any decisions and Fauci is leading the charge. My advice to anyone here is stop worrying about what Trump said or what CNN thinks about what Trump said. What Trump said is irrelevant information.

It pains me that people want to turn one of the biggest threats to humanity in generations into a political argument. I'm a registered democrat and consider myself somewhat of a bleeding heart liberal, so I'm not saying this in defense of Trump. I'm saying this because I'm sick of people playing the finger-pointing blame game.

Write Doucey a letter, if he gets enough of them maybe he'll heed your advice and order a shut down. In the mean time look at the big picture, hot spots are popping up in the densest cities (SF, NYC, Chicago, Houston, etc.) and are a product of people not listening to advice. You can't control an entire population, especially in an egocentric financially driven country like this one.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Why are you participating in the discussion if you don't wish for it to exist?

Trump is nothing but a talking head at this point, he isn't making any decisions and Fauci is leading the charge. My advice to anyone here is stop worrying about what Trump said or what CNN thinks about what Trump said. What Trump said is irrelevant information.

It pains me that people want to turn one of the biggest threats to humanity in generations into a political argument. I'm a registered democrat and consider myself somewhat of a bleeding heart liberal, so I'm not saying this in defense of Trump. I'm saying this because I'm sick of people playing the finger-pointing blame game.

Write Doucey a letter, if he gets enough of them maybe he'll heed your advice and order a shut down. In the mean time look at the big picture, hot spots are popping up in the densest cities (SF, NYC, Chicago, Houston, etc.) and are a product of people not listening to advice. You can't control an entire population, especially in an egocentric financially driven country like this one.
Pretty sure I addressed that in my reply. But as an Internet troll once famously said, "This is the Internet guys. No requirement to read anything you don't want to read." How about you heed your own advice buddy?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 8:24 PM

I'm simply attempting to take part in the discussion, my question was if you don't want the discussion to exist why are you posting messages in the thread? You don't have to behave in a combative manner every time someone doesn't agree with you, yet for some reason it's the choice you make.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 9:50 PM

Stay at home order has been issued for Arizona.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Stay at home order has been issued for Arizona.
If you read what he put out today - it basically closes non-essential businesses - and tells you to stay 6ft away from people.

There’s no enforcement - you don’t even have to provide proof for why you’re out of the house.

This is more of a recommendation than order...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 10:29 PM

A please stay at home as much as possible, but if you must leave, stay at least 6-feet away from other persons and do not congregate in large crowds, and please don't go to work unless your work has been deemed an essential business recommendation has been issued for the State of Arizona.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 11:30 PM
E pluribus unum

So...golf courses? Are they still considered essential businesses?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 11:32 PM

Are Lowes or Home Depot essential, to stay open? Do get items needed for home repair and needs?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Are Lowes or Home Depot essential, to stay open? Do get items needed for home repair and needs?
Yes they are essential.

So is Petsmart/Petco & Vet clinics.

So is Best Buy (electronic equipment necessary to enable telecommute).

A lot of stuff is still open - just not the jewelry store and stuff like that.

Parks are explicitly listed as open for ‘exercise’ - so not sure if that would include Golf courses...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 4:51 AM

Last edited by biggus diggus; Mar 31, 2020 at 5:19 AM. Reason: Letting it go

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest