HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:57 PM
Space Magi

Yeah I agree that this design would be really cool if it was 10-15 stories taller. The oblique angles would make the floor plates smaller as you go up. At its current height, the large aspect ratio of the base makes it look like a wall.

Last edited by Atlas; May 18, 2021 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I do agree that it is deeper than expected but at least the street frontage isn't bad. I like the ground level layout and how it is welcoming to the Trax station.

The proportions to me make it look like it needs another 5 or 10 stories. I am all for 22 stories especially at that location, I just think the overall proportions would look better with some extra height. I think extra height would reduce the overall bulky depth with the taper.

Overall though, I do like this and hope that it happens sooner rather than later as we need more variety.

Any rumors for that corner lot in the rendering on the right side?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:09 PM
Space Magi

It appears the architect for the Sundial Tower is Pickard Chilton. Another out-of-state team, Orlando.

Came across another nice SLC cityscape, on the Mya website. The Worthington tower is going to dominate this view.

Last edited by Atlas; May 18, 2021 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:15 PM

Squat Lake City

I'm surprised that it's finally public knowledge. It has a nice facade design, but man it is squat. Salt Lake City should add code language in to their land-use code that limits the width of these towers. Seriously. We've got the convention hotel and now this that are just terribly wide. Wells Fargo is also too wide, and even 111.

I don't know if any of you can see the influence of Ceasar Pelli in this facade, but Pickard Chilton is a break off of Caesar Pelli. I've connected a couple times with two of the three main guys leading that firm. The first time, I was invited to interview with them. The second time, was right after a Design Review meeting at Seattle City Hall, when they presented their design for the 2+U tower.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
My team right now is working on that portion. I'm not sure when more info can be public knowledge, but it is going to be a nice addition to SLC.

Last edited by Orlando; May 19, 2021 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:26 PM

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:29 PM

Quote:
The last that I heard is that it will be a residential tower. No other specifics as things may have changed and I don't like to feed the rumor mill too much, especially with all the projects that are all further along.

In my best 'political' way to rumorize my old information:

Hope for a 400' tower, expect a 100' tower, and be happy with something in between.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:36 PM
Space Magi

Any guesses on the height of the Sundial Tower? I'm thinking 300-320 ft range, about the height of 222.

Quote:
Hope for a 400' tower, expect a 100' tower, and be happy with something in between.
I'm just hoping they're condos at this point. A 260 ft condo tower like the Regent would be great.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:42 PM

Is that a parking garage? If so that actual useable/livable space so minimal.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
Not sure where I saw something about the rice eccles stadium parking lot being turned into something else eventually but I'm really curious if anyone has more details. It would be cool if the school turned that giant parking lot right next to the trax station into something. I know they have big plans for the research park

https://jhparch.com/projects/university-of-utah

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Any guesses on the height of the Sundial Tower? I'm thinking 300-320 ft range, about the height of 222.

I'm just hoping they're condos at this point. A 260 ft condo tower like the Regent would be great.
I think it will come in the 320' - 350' range.

We should know more when it goes through the CBDR process since it is midblock and would be limited to 100' otherwise.

From the Linkedin post Orlando provided, it looks like Pre-Leasing for the tower started today.

Quote:
SECRET'S OUT. Downtown Salt Lake City's skyline is changing....by 22 floors and a rooftop patio to be exact. Now pre-leasing Sundial Tower, Trophy Class A office space at 477 S Main Street.
Hopefully this means it will be presented to the City soon so that it could maybe start in 2022...

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
My team right now is working on that portion. I'm not sure when it can be public knowledge, but it is going to be a nice addition to SLC.
That’s great to hear Orlando. Throw us some juicy tid bits when you can.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
The last that I heard is that it will be a residential tower. No other specifics as things may have changed and I don't like to feed the rumor mill too much, especially with all the projects that are all further along.

In my best 'political' way to rumorize my old information:

That’s a good way to think about it. But don’t be shy with the rumors. I think a lots of us appreciate a good tease. Sure is exciting times here. The skyline will be much more dense, if not bulky

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:04 PM

Speaking of rumors. Yesterday I parked in a reserved parking space for a Priskos in downtown and it got me wondering if they are still thinking about a hotel on their site if the convention scene picks up? The arrow press site seems like a likely contender for future development soon. Half hotel/residential would be cool.

Remembering back DDRM had a lot of residential planned for the CCH. Was there a reason given for dropping that part of the project?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:34 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Is that a parking garage? If so that actual useable/livable space so minimal.

Yeah this is especially disappointing because of its location directly adjacent to the Courthouse TRAX station and monstrous Block 40 parking lot.

I'm curious as to how this absolute unit is going to affect the skyline, particularly when viewed from the south and northwest directions. Can you update your massing, Orlando?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Speaking of rumors. Yesterday I parked in a reserved parking space for a Priskos in downtown and it got me wondering if they are still thinking about a hotel on their site if the convention scene picks up? The arrow press site seems like a likely contender for future development soon. Half hotel/residential would be cool.

Remembering back DDRM had a lot of residential planned for the CCH. Was there a reason given for dropping that part of the project?
As this site has been rumorized a few times, I can continue with it and some of the information I know.

The project is still happening. The original idea was for the project to include a hotel with 500 to 700 rooms. This was based on the CCH having 1000 rooms. As the CCH is closer to 700 rooms, you could expect that this project will be between 700 and 800 rooms. Priskos had wanted roughly 2000 rooms split between the CCH, Marriot, and his project.

After Priskos died, there were talks about including apartments and retail as part of the project.

The original plan had a single 'L' shaped tower for the hotel. Heights were open based on the final room count.

Now, the family does want to see Priskos vision happen. They also have wanted to make a statement with the overall design.

I have heard that the current leanings are towards 2 towers, 1 hotel and 1 residential, with a shared parking system.

Hotel room count, apartment count, and overall heights are all still in flux and won't be set for a while yet. They are waiting to see how the CCH is received by the convention industry before finalizing the counts.

While the overall project could be built in phases, like CCH and the Cascade, the family would prefer to do the full project all at once to capitalize on the location.

Hopefully this is enough rumor mill for people, at least for now.

As for DDRM dropping the residential component. The residential was only going to be included if the North site was used for the CCH. The south side ended up being selected due to expedience as they needed to get the project moving quickly. DDRM does still have an opportunity to build at the North site if there does end up with a need for additional hotel rooms. The residential component would be included at that time. However, with Block 67 Phase 2 including a Hotel and the possibility of APS happening in the next 3 to 5 years, I don't think we will see the north site developed for a long time.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:49 PM

That was very satisfying! Thanks Makid! As usual

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 8:52 PM
Space Magi

Hey Makid, how likely are we to see a revival of The Cascade in the near future? What will CCR be up to after 95 State is finished? Maybe that original design will re-emerge

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Hey Makid, how likely are we to see a revival of The Cascade in the near future? What will CCR be up to after 95 State is finished? Maybe that original design will re-emerge

The current plans are that after 95S State is complete, they will complete the work on that block with the residential tower, NW corner 1st South and 2nd East. The original Cascade design/mock up, was used as a placeholder for this site during some discussions a couple of years ago. This is why I had mentioned that it is possible that we may see a 30+ story tower here. They have been playing with the numbers but they may wait to see how some of the current apartment towers fair before jumping in.

Work would then shift to the old Greyhound station site (South Temple and 2nd West). I am not sure if the old Dee's restaurant location will be included or not.

The Plaza hotel / JB's site is still on the block but nothing definitive regarding a timeline has been set yet.

CCR is currently focused on completing the overall CCC plan and the area immediately surrounding the Center. Something may be happen soon on the Zion's parking lot on 1st South that will also involve CCR. The timeline is for a short time after the Main Street Apartments are completed.

The Zion's surface lot will most likely be used as a staging area for the project. CCR uses the old Greyhound site currently and will shift to the area directly west once that site is built.

Nothing is expected on the 4th South parking lot yet.

The Cascade is still slated to be built as condos but it also won't be built until the condo market returns. I don't think the design has changed.

Now, this information is about 18 months old so some things may have changed but I wouldn't expect to much to have changed. One thing that I will think hasn't changed is that they don't want to pay a premium for workers during the current boom cycle. So we may see a lull in projects by CCR at least for a little bit after 95S State is complete.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 10:38 PM

Makid, Where would you anticipate the Elk's block on South Temple fitting into that schedule? That's quite a major project. I'm excited to follow the progress on that one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West