HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 2:35 PM

It might not seem like it at the moment but I think that another hotel along the Salt Palace premises is going to be needed within the next couple of years. I know they've talked of plans to build a second CCH. Perhaps, the development of Phase II of the West Quarter will happen much sooner than we realize.

I'm getting impatient for the redevelopment of the entire Pantages, Arrow Press Square, Dinwoody block. Main Street, West Temple, 1st South, and the interior. Redeveloping/reusing and replacing the broken and missing teeth on that block is past due.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:50 PM

I heard from a post office employee that the only thing they know for sure is they are staying through the end of May. On the other hand, I heard from bldg maintenance that they may be staying through the end of the year with plans for demolition at the start of next year.

However, I can confirm they are the only remaining tenant and the rest of the building is vacant. My interpretation is that they're probably on some sort of month-to-month arrangement through the end of the year??? I would assume this means demolition is just waiting on relocation of the post office.

Does anyone else have any insights?

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 2:04 PM

Staggering facts about Utah’s hot housing market

By Katie McKellar - Full Article @ https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/5/...ot-home-market

The COVID-19 pandemic spurred out-migration from big cities like New York and San Francisco in 2020. Where did they go? A rural Utah valley in Wasatch County ranked near the top of a recent New York Times analysis out of 926 metro areas in the U.S. with the most net in-migration: Heber City...

..."National urban development experts predicted COVID-19 would be a “great accelerator,” and that Utah was perfectly positioned to become one of the top destinations for those fleeing big cities that became less desirable during the pandemic..."

- ...Another staggering figure that illustrates the impact of in-migration to Utah: over 500,000 people based in California were browsing the website UtahRealEstate.com last year, according to Dave Robison, president of the Utah Association of Realtors. “We don’t have that many homes for sale, but we had half a million looking from California,” he said. “Half a million.”...

- ... "So where are they all coming from? ... it’s all over the map,”... “Certainly a lot of people moving here from places that are highly impacted. California’s a big one. Some of it’s (because) of the fires, some of it’s political. ... You also hear about people from Chicago and Portland.”...

Read more about what’s happening in the Heber Valley here - https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/5/...wasatch-county

Last edited by delts145; Jun 11, 2021 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 2:09 PM

Latest Photos of Marmalade from Kier Construction

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
The COVID-19 pandemic spurred out-migration from big cities like New York and San Francisco in 2020. Where did they go? A rural Utah valley in Wasatch County ranked near the top of a recent New York Times analysis out of 926 metro areas in the U.S. with the most net in-migration: Heber City...
My parents moved to Heber valley in 1980. I grew up there. It was a small, quaint farming town. It is unrecognizable to me now .

My mom always said she was afraid there would be "wall to wall people" in the valley and that they'd have to move at that time

Seems like it's happening now.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 8:50 PM
Space Magi

Found a recent skyline shot on a Deseret News article where you can see the new towers and how they are already filling in the gap between 111 and One Utah Center. Giant version here.

Astra will be behind/right of the Maverik building, SWT will be behind/right of the Borg cube, the Theater Tower will be to the immediate right of Liberty Sky/US Bank, and Worthington will be in the bottom left where that red crane is.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 10:05 PM

The June - Design Review

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 636 South 300 West

CW Urban has filed a Design Review for their next project, 'The June.'

The project will be 7 floors (5+2) and have 102 residential units. No retail.

PROJECT SUMMARY:

Quote:
The June is a proposed apartment building to be located at 624, 636 S 300 W Salt Lake City UT. The existing neighborhood is a combination of vacant land, warehouses, and small light commercial buildings. Across the street north is the massive Post Development currently under construction. The June aims to be a modern and aesthetic boon to the neighborhood that will speak to the other new developments in the area. The building itself aims to improve the existing site. Currently the proposed site encompasses a car wash, a dog wash and a lot of asphalt surface parking.

Pedestrian access to the buildings is along 300 west. Future residents have access to the building via several doors along 300 west. Storefront and glass will line the street including access to stairwells and elevator lobbies, a boutique lobby entrance and a leasing office.

The new project proposes the construction of a single residential tower on top of a parking structure. It will contain 102 units, including a mix of studio, 1 bed, 2 bed, and luxury penthouse apartments. The covered structural parking provides a near 1:1 parking ratio (102 covered stalls per 102 Units). Although the D-2 zone allows fewer parking stalls (.5:1 ), we desire as much off street parking as possible.

There are 5 levels of wood framed apartments, and 2 levels of concrete parking. 2 parking levels above grade. The exterior materials are masonry brick, metal siding, stucco, glass, architectural finish concrete and
CMU.

Trash collection and a backup electric generator occur on the interior of the garage and are covered from street view.

Open deck courtyard amenities for the residents are designed to inhabit the top of the PT slab of the parking. For the residents a street accessible ground level leasing office will be provided as well as a club room and resident work in spaces (something akin to weWork) on the podium level.

Project Rendering

Additional Renderings

Elevations

Current Site Conditions - Car Wash

Vicinity Map

Current Site, Landscape Plan, Site Plan, & Building Section

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; May 18, 2021 at 8:17 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:00 AM

The June looks like they didn’t try very hard. They can do better than that.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:12 AM

Does anyone remember the name of the bank building with the beautiful vaulted arch ceiling with the ceramic flowers that was demolished when the Eccles Theatre was built on Main Street. Or even better, does anyone have an image of the ceiling. I've got an art project I've been thinking of inspired by that ceiling.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:41 AM

Not sure where I saw something about the rice eccles stadium parking lot being turned into something else eventually but I'm really curious if anyone has more details. It would be cool if the school turned that giant parking lot right next to the trax station into something. I know they have big plans for the research park

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
Not sure where I saw something about the rice eccles stadium parking lot being turned into something else eventually but I'm really curious if anyone has more details. It would be cool if the school turned that giant parking lot right next to the trax station into something. I know they have big plans for the research park
That was likely my post about why the 10 floor INTRO SLC project would fit in with the area.

I took a tour of an architecture firm several years ago in Salt Lake and I recall seeing a model of the stadium with a concept development around it. So conversations with the U had at least progressed that far.

I asked a few people, some didn't know about it and nobody seemed to know if the plan was still active or not.

I did get one person telling me that it was likely at the very least put on the back burner as the U had shifted focus to the massive research park redevelopment that was publicly announced last year.

Here is the Salt Lake Tribune article on that: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/06/...kable-amenity/

Research Park redevelopment

I hope the pandemic hasn't impacted the research park plans too much. If those plans go forward they will likely consume the U's attention for the rest of the decade.

Personally, I could totally see the stadium redevelopment concept being easily repurposed and pushed forward as the new Olympic Village when Salt Lake finally gets its chance to host again. Especially with the new Cauldron plaza area having been recently redone.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; May 18, 2021 at 7:32 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:12 PM

Not directly related to development but it does show growth in the Commercial Market for Downtown:

Billion-dollar consulting firm expands operation to Salt Lake City

https://www.ksl.com/article/50168218...salt-lake-city

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — A multibillion-dollar consulting firm is expanding its operation to help Utah companies transition to a cloud-based model and help Utah State University launch a new consulting major.

Slalom Consulting, which is headquartered in Seattle, operates in 40 markets across the world, including 32 major U.S. cities and now Salt Lake City.

The launch of its Salt Lake office comes after five years of working with companies in the area. The company began bringing people here back in January to establish the new office. But due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the firm's work has been mainly remote, so far, with plans to get a downtown office space for in-person work sometime this summer.

Additionally, they are looking to hire 30 new positions by the end of this year with the hopes of bringing 100 more jobs and an estimated $35 million economic impact to the area over the next three years....
It is nice to see an expansion happening Downtown. I think that this will help to encourage more growth and expansion Downtown, especially as the new projects start to come online later this year.

Any speculation on where they may end up putting their office downtown? If they need space quickly, there is space available in both 222 and 111. I don't know if either location has enough space for the 3 year expansion plan though. Because of this, I could see a temporary office in the 111S Main location and their permanent office in 95S State. Because of a shared leasing system, it would allow them to shift locations easier once 95S State is completed.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:04 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
Not sure where I saw something about the rice eccles stadium parking lot being turned into something else eventually but I'm really curious if anyone has more details.
There hasn't been any public activity on this project, as far as I'm aware, since it was suggested in the 2008 Campus Master Plan. (PDF warning) I remember someone telling me sometime in 2014-15 that the 2008 Recession killed it. Nevertheless, it's still in the master plan so I'm guessing it's still on the table eventually.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:04 PM
NIMBY Hater

Sundial Tower

Sorry if someone else posted and I missed it.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:42 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Sorry if someone else posted and I missed it.

Woah. Where did you find that?

It's definitely different than anything in the city right now. A little bit... uh... girthier than I expected.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:49 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
One of my connections on LinkedIn posted it. She's an owner leasing rep from JLL. She said it will be 22 stories with a rooftop deck.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:50 PM

Let’s call it the Shart.

The lines and look are pretty interesting but just too deep and long for me to really like. Maybe it will grow on me but I’m going to call it the Shart.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:51 PM

I really like the design, angles and colors. It will definitely stand out in SLC.

Just wish it was twice as tall. Looks to only be about 22 floors.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

It's definitely different than anything in the city right now. A little bit... uh... girthier than I expected.
I do agree that it is deeper than expected but at least the street frontage isn't bad. I like the ground level layout and how it is welcoming to the Trax station.

The proportions to me make it look like it needs another 5 or 10 stories. I am all for 22 stories especially at that location, I just think the overall proportions would look better with some extra height. I think extra height would reduce the overall bulky depth with the taper.

Overall though, I do like this and hope that it happens sooner rather than later as we need more variety.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
One of my connections on LinkedIn posted it. She's an owner leasing rep from JLL. She said it will be 22 stories with a rooftop deck.
How can I add her to my LinkedIn? JLL gave a proposal for the CCH I believe. Are they a relatively new group?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West