HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 6:34 PM
Modulator

Also, while we're on the topic, is there any chance of the Coronado Hotel ever getting redeveloped? I hate walking by that place.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 8:19 PM

What a great boutique hotel it COULD be!!!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 8:21 PM
Skyriser

There's not even two full parcels between the motel and the building to the south. There's too many owners on that side of the block.

I'm fine if not everything is a tower and small scale older buiildings exist, especially commercial structures and not converted houses.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Here you all go. Record Request came in this morning.

Development Name: 1st Street Townhomes
Developer: Surprisingly, True North Studios
Units: 24
Height: 3 floors with rooftop deck (42.6 feet)
Parking: Looks like 6 spaces total against the alley

View full pre-app on my Google Drive (includes more renderings):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Msj...ew?usp=sharing
Here ya go! I really did like this concept. I hope they stick to the rendering.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
Here ya go! I really did like this concept. I hope they stick to the rendering.
Kind of has a Japanese vibe

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 2:43 AM
Skyriser

I didn't notice that, but I see it.

We really need to see more projects like this. It's on the level of garage-parked apartments everywhere but offers a lot more design flexibility. When was the last time you saw rooflines like that or tile on a modern dense project?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Also, while we're on the topic, is there any chance of the Coronado Hotel ever getting redeveloped? I hate walking by that place.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. It's a head-scratcher to me that an investor hasn't already made an offer the current property owner can't refuse. I can't imagine what a frustration it must be to manage that property with funding limited to rates of only $35 per night (according to Google reviews) - if you want your own shower. It's $25 per night to share a shower with others. Check out the Google reviews if you're curious about seeing things from the perspective of their customers. This 2-star hotel averages 3.7 Google stars from reviewers with the largest number of submissions giving it 5 stars.

I'm often surprised at the lack of riff-raff hanging out there. It's an anomaly to me. I keep expecting to see needles and other litter scattered across the area. I keep expecting to see and smell human waste. I'm stunned that Matt's Big Breakfast started next door (I think they still use that place for storage) and used that to transform itself to the local nostalgic icon it is now.

Maybe the development of the surrounding area will drive up property values in a way that might lead them to consider selling. Looking at their payment history for parcel #s 11-43-044 and 43 https://treasurer.maricopa.gov/Parce....aspx?List=All, it appears as though they are paying less now ($24K last year) than they paid in 2012 ($26K), so maybe an ambitious long term investor is required.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 5:05 PM
Skyriser

The typical "stars" for a hotel are not reviews or quality, they're for amenities. If they have a TV, a phone, housekeeping, they get two stars. Only the cheapest flophouses in the world's worst slums would get one star in the system.

The stars people leave on Google are actual reviews. It shouldn't surprise you that someone like a backpacker that doesn't need a private bath would leave a 5-star review if they felt they got a good value for their money.

The taxes or how profitable you think it is don't really mean anything. They owner could run it into the red each year, constantly write off the losses and depreciation, and still realize significant capital gains when they sell. If they have other investments this place could reduce their tax liability more than a vacant lot or selling it off would.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
Yeah, I'm with you on that. It's a head-scratcher to me that an investor hasn't already made an offer the current property owner can't refuse. I can't imagine what a frustration it must be to manage that property with funding limited to rates of only $35 per night (according to Google reviews) - if you want your own shower. It's $25 per night to share a shower with others. Check out the Google reviews if you're curious about seeing things from the perspective of their customers. This 2-star hotel averages 3.7 Google stars from reviewers with the largest number of submissions giving it 5 stars.

I'm often surprised at the lack of riff-raff hanging out there. It's an anomaly to me. I keep expecting to see needles and other litter scattered across the area. I keep expecting to see and smell human waste. I'm stunned that Matt's Big Breakfast started next door (I think they still use that place for storage) and used that to transform itself to the local nostalgic icon it is now.

Maybe the development of the surrounding area will drive up property values in a way that might lead them to consider selling. Looking at their payment history for parcel #s 11-43-044 and 43 https://treasurer.maricopa.gov/Parce....aspx?List=All, it appears as though they are paying less now ($24K last year) than they paid in 2012 ($26K), so maybe an ambitious long term investor is required.
I always assumed the Coronado hotel was just owned by some ideologue who likes giving homeless people, petty criminals and prostitutes a place to lay low.

They are trying to preserve the original "feel" of Roosevelt row just like Angels trumpet

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 7:49 PM

My husband and I went downtown to see a show this Saturday. We used the light rail and ate at Arrogant Butcher. It was so wonderful to see a busy downtown. We walked all around and eventually to the Orpheum. What was so cool was seeing so many restaurants, bars, clubs, and shops open and filled with people. Windows were lit up or even open so you could hear and smell what was happening. There was such a fun vibe. I arrived in the valley in 1987. What a difference from the days when the little there was downtown shut down at 5 PM. There was no nightlife at all then. Now it is amazing. I know others want more, and so do I, but what a fun place Phoenix is now. I can only imagine where it will be 5 years from now.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
My husband and I went downtown to see a show this Saturday. We used the light rail and ate at Arrogant Butcher. It was so wonderful to see a busy downtown. We walked all around and eventually to the Orpheum. What was so cool was seeing so many restaurants, bars, clubs, and shops open and filled with people. Windows were lit up or even open so you could hear and smell what was happening. There was such a fun vibe. I arrived in the valley in 1987. What a difference from the days when the little there was downtown shut down at 5 PM. There was no nightlife at all then. Now it is amazing. I know others want more, and so do I, but what a fun place Phoenix is now. I can only imagine where it will be 5 years from now.
I moved downtown in the middle of the pandemic in 2020 and it has been crazy to see it get busier every single weekend. This weekend was way busier than weekends last month, which are exponentially busier than Summer 2021 weekends -- if we go away for a couple weekends in a row, it's like a whole new city when we get back.

X Phoenix, Adeline, 700 N 4th St, The Battery, and Ave Terra (formerly Mercer) are all open and filling up, so that is probably a major contributing factor to it seeming wildly different from week to week.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 9:47 PM
Skyriser

If Mercer's opened up I'm surprised there's been no word of Fillmore Phase 2.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 10:28 PM

Those two brand new sections of Taylor Street spanning 6th St to 4th St have opened as well. Is the plan for this to go all the way through to 1st? I see where it will eventually cut through Astra from 1st to 2nd, and the 2nd to 3rd part is complete but being used as staging for The Rey, but I do not see how it can go from 3rd to 4th without demolishing 362 N 3rd St.

For anyone visiting downtown on busy weekend days, the new parts of Taylor Street do not have meters yet and aren't too far away from the action. Makes for a good free parking spot.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 10:49 PM
Skyriser

I don't think Phoenix has the money or will to condemn those parcels, especially considering 362 N 3rd Ave just sold for a pretty penny and the developer is planning something there.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 9:20 PM

I have searched but can't find.....do we have a consolidated list of projects in the pipeline? I know someone made one, but I can't find it, and I bet it has changed and gotten longer.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 9:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I have searched but can't find.....do we have a consolidated list of projects in the pipeline? I know someone made one, but I can't find it, and I bet it has changed and gotten longer.
We have these, but not sure if they have been updated lately:

Metro Phoenix Project Rundown Thread: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=231495

City Compilations, Phoenix Project Rundown: Project Rundown

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX06 View Post
I moved downtown in the middle of the pandemic in 2020 and it has been crazy to see it get busier every single weekend. This weekend was way busier than weekends last month, which are exponentially busier than Summer 2021 weekends -- if we go away for a couple weekends in a row, it's like a whole new city when we get back.

X Phoenix, Adeline, 700 N 4th St, The Battery, and Ave Terra (formerly Mercer) are all open and filling up, so that is probably a major contributing factor to it seeming wildly different from week to week.
We moved here from Ohio in 2019. All of my coworkers thought I was crazy for moving downtown…especially settling in Garfield. We’re super glad we did and love seeing the skyline grow from our backyard!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 1:23 PM

Welcome, Thespiandave....from a fellow thespian! Enjoy the views and the city....and theater!!!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 3:53 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespiandave View Post
We moved here from Ohio in 2019. All of my coworkers thought I was crazy for moving downtown…especially settling in Garfield. We’re super glad we did and love seeing the skyline grow from our backyard!
Greetings fellow Buckeye! Where did you come from? Dayton here.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 3:54 PM

Final building plans were submitted for McKinley Green at 805 N 2nd Ave. It's described as: New construction for a 23-story multi-family high rise. The structure consists of post-tensioned concrete slabs and concrete
columns with 6 levels of structured parking, 15 residential levels, shared amenities at floors 7 and 23, and with ground floor townhome units
and shell commercial space.

I'm not sure if theses renderings are still relevant because it's been awhile: https://shepleybulfinch.com/projects...ckinley-green/ and https://imgur.com/gallery/7jagIb9

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest