HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Right, most renderings depict it offset from/above the existing property, that makes more sense. We would have heard this thing was cancelled otherwise, due to Venezuela's refusal to sell the Consulate. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sure, but given who he is would we expect otherwise? His narcissism, persistence and "chutzpah" is probably the reason this thing still has a chance. I know you hate it, as do many others, but there's a good chance the design isn't completely final.
It's Manhattan real estate. That particular piece is part of a political issue at the moment (we won't get into politics). But it's Manhattan real estate, and money talks. And Macklowe has no more "chutzpah" than a Gary Barnett, or a Larry Silverstein. They will build to the market (it's what developers do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
He’ll build something here. He can easily build a very tall condo exclusively on the 52nd St side.
See above. He will build to the market, but if he's relying on the rezoning to build here, residential isn't really on the table.

If macklowe isn't able to acquire that piece of the puzzle, the portion of the base on the 51st Street size next to the landmark on the right would be taken out of play. That could have implications for the public auditorium that's supposed to sit just above, but not really much for the tower itself besides a smaller entrance on that street.

You can see how that portion (7 E. 51) fits into the puzzle.

Andreas Komodromos

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 18, 2019 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 6:29 AM

i hope it still gets built lmao

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
i hope it still gets built lmao
You'll get your wish. I hope you're still laughing then because a lot of these people don't like it and won't be.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:06 AM

The only thing that makes those renderings look somewhat interesting is the church in the foreground and in the reflections haha. Also CPT looks mad awkward from that angle.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
The only thing that makes those renderings look somewhat interesting is the church in the foreground and in the reflections haha. Also CPT looks mad awkward from that angle.
I would submit that CPT looks awkward from any angle. This tower, however whether people like the top or not, is more interesting because of its unusual top.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 3:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 4:53 AM
DENNAB

It's kind of a shame it's so close the church

Is demolition still in progress? I thought I read way back that it began, although it seems this building is more uncertain now.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 5:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
It's kind of a shame it's so close the church

Is demolition still in progress? I thought I read way back that it began, although it seems this building is more uncertain now.

That church is what will give birth to this tower, and it'll be no closer than the other towers that surround it. That photo shows how insignificant a presence it would have on the south (51st st) side. No demolition has begun.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 6:13 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

If Macklowe isn't able to acquire the consulate, maybe he could add some public improvements as a negotiation tactic for possibly gaining some development rights. Just a thought.

I'd like something to rise here, right now I'm very iffy about the current design, but it would be a shame if the assemblage is eventually sold, and developed into something underwhelming. I guess time will tell.

Not that the consulate is required, but I'd imagine a design change for the base if the original design was under the assumptions of gaining parcels x,y,z...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 12:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
If Macklowe isn't able to acquire the consulate, maybe he could add some public improvements as a negotiation tactic for possibly gaining some development rights. Just a thought.

I'd like something to rise here, right now I'm very iffy about the current design, but it would be a shame if the assemblage is eventually sold, and developed into something underwhelming. I guess time will tell.

Not that the consulate is required, but I'd imagine a design change for the base if the original design was under the assumptions of gaining parcels x,y,z...

It wouldn't change the base so much as the entrance on the 51st Street side, with the open view of St Patrick's.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 12:52 AM
New Yorker for life

A good view of just how small this footprint is...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B71UaqFAkK6/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 1:26 AM
BANNED

It would be sacrilegious for this heinous building to tower over our Lord's cross, as symbolized by St. Patty's.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
It would be sacrilegious for this heinous building to tower over our Lord's cross, as symbolized by St. Patty's.
Not all of us care about such things. Separation of church and state! This is a private development. If you want to make some sort of a landmark case, that is one thing. Religion has no place in this discussion.

Last edited by njcco; Feb 14, 2020 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 1:57 PM

This tower will be insane, in a good way. Will redefine the Midtown skyline.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 2:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: bmosborne

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 3:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcco View Post
Not all of us care about such things. Separation of church and state! This is a private development. If you want to make some sort of a landmark case, that is one thing. Religion has no place in this discussion.
I find that insensitive to Christians. If this were looming over a historic synagogue, Jews would go nuts.

That being said, I respect your opinion.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 5:15 PM

This proposal is a giant, stinking pile of dog refuse.

It's replacing wonderful Old World buildings.

This is one of the things that future generations will look back on and ask, "What were those morons thinking? Giving me this garbage inheritance?"

You'd think the acres of garbage Modernist buildings constructed on the ruins of glorious classical architecture over the last 65 years would cause someone in the city to wake up at some point and urge being thoughtful about our architecture (other than the asinine "too tall!" cries of NIMBYs).

We are a cheap-architecture city because New Yorkers are a cheap-architecture people.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 6:53 AM
Everywhere all at once

Perhaps you should time-travel back to 1934? Sounds like, in your opinion, everything was downhill after that..

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 6:30 PM
BANNED

^It pretty much was downhill after 1930. The Depression and then WW2 paused new construction until the 50s. Now show me a beautiful building of the 50s or 60s on par with Chrysler or ESB. Inland Steel in Chicago is beautiful but it's not on par with the previously mentioned two. Then again, you're of the Build Everything school.

We are fortunately in the golden age of 111 and 9 DeKalb, The Roaring 2020s if you will, but it's buildings like this one on Fifth that are a step in the wrong direction.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer34 View Post
We are a cheap-architecture city because New Yorkers are a cheap-architecture people.
Ridiculous opinion, with nothing to go on. This building will be well designed, among the best for its tenants, and will command top rents. Because you don't like the design doesn't make it "cheap".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals