HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 4:07 PM

My eyes are watering.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
My eyes are watering.
I'm just happy it's not going to my city... unlike some ugly buildings, you aren't going to be hiding this beast

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:45 PM
Meh

I always resist the urge to criticize designs, at least ones that aren't happening in my own city because I don't believe on stepping someone's toes, but man, I was really not a fan of 432 Park. I know there are designs that can start a trend that are later put into other buildings, but 432 Park is really one that I never would have guessed would catch on. I certainly haven't "gotten it" yet, and why the design of it would be imitated is confusing and even more offensive than 432 Park was. These designs are worthy of a 400 foot building buried somewhere in the canyons of New York, not peaking over the entire metro.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 5:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
Don't your acolytes here on the message board always tell us that taste in architecture is subjective? Tsk tsk tsk.

Apparently you didn't fully read my comment. What you're doing is 'small sample size theatre.' There's no law of the universe that says all government regulators would act in the same way, have the same intentions, or be composed of the same people.
I'm gonna save myself the trouble of reading the rest of your nonsense because the nonsense meter is off the charts. But I will tell you that you only have to get hit by a car once to know that it probably isn't a good idea to stand in the middle of the road. Most people would come to that conclusion beforehand. But you'll learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
I'm just happy it's not going to my city... unlike some ugly buildings, you aren't going to be hiding this beast
I"ll save this quote for when it's built (assuming it ever does) and everyone is rushing to get to experience the top of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I always resist the urge to criticize designs, at least ones that aren't happening in my own city because I don't believe on stepping someone's toes, but man, I was really not a fan of 432 Park. I know there are designs that can start a trend that are later put into other buildings, but 432 Park is really one that I never would have guessed would catch on. I certainly haven't "gotten it" yet, and why the design of it would be imitated is confusing and even more offensive than 432 Park was. These designs are worthy of a 400 foot building buried somewhere in the canyons of New York, not peaking over the entire metro.
Yeah there are far too many comments on a design we really don't have the details on. Sure, I believe the NY skyline shouldn't be dominated by these flat topped buildings. But once you get past that, you focus on the design. 432 Park Avenue is a tower that I think is best appreciated up close.

But by no means am I saying that this tower is on par with 53w53. Far from it. I'm saying it's not horrible. Beyond being tall, Tower Fifth will be a public building that will bring much to the skyline and experience of New York. New Yorkers love and appreciate such buildings, it's why the original WTC, as horrible and hideous as those two large buildings must have been at the time they were proposed, came to be beloved icons by New Yorkers and people around the world. I think this tower will be no different. But in any case, I'm glad the skyline isn't stale, and we are getting the opportunity to at least discuss new skyline defining towers. I expect approval for this to get off sometime in the fall or before the end of the year.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I will tell you that you only have to get hit by a car once to know that it probably isn't a good idea to stand in the middle of the road. Most people would come to that conclusion beforehand. But you'll learn.
Hmmm, it seems that you think New York can't pull off a decent review board like other global cities can. I guess some guys don't mind settling.

Quote:
when it's built (assuming it ever does) and everyone is rushing to get to experience the top of it.
I think people will go up to the observation deck just so they won't have to look at this building's hideous facade.

Quote:
Sure, I believe the NY skyline shouldn't be dominated by these flat topped buildings. But once you get past that, you focus on the design. 432 Park Avenue is a tower that I think is best appreciated up close.
Wow, talk about cope posting! 432 was the tallest building (by roof height) in the city when it was completed. 99% of the people who see it on a daily basis have to see it form afar. You really are happy to settle! You should come bar hoping with me.

Last edited by Duck From NY; Aug 21, 2019 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:07 PM
DENNAB

The observatory looks amazing, just sayin'

Since demo is underway we should expect this to break ground in 2020, correct?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:42 PM
Ex Houstonian

Welp, hopefully 4 2500 foot towers surround this eventually so it can't be seen in the future.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 10:30 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1miNb4i...on_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzJsalGC...on_share_sheet

I don't know, I think it's pretty cool. Sure it's not the most beautiful building, but it's size and impact on the skyline is amazing!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 12:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

350 Park shows promise. Design is pretty nice on that one, at least the current rendering.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1miNb4i...on_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzJsalGC...on_share_sheet

I don't know, I think it's pretty cool. Sure it's not the most beautiful building, but it's size and impact on the skyline is amazing!
That second rendering looks a lot better. Still not great, but better.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:27 PM
DENNAB

I dig the dark gray facade, hopefully it can be reflective, and yes to this and 350 park making a good duo

And to think the Chase Tower isn't even in that rendering.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:44 PM
Ex Houstonian

Well, at least that last rendering makes it seem a little less obnoxious looking. Wish it didn't have a huge flat roof though still. It needs a slanted roof or something. The stupid protruding jenga block on the top has seem to become a little less prominent. Thats what made it truly terrible. Its still pretty hideous though.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:51 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Well, at least that last rendering makes it seem a little less obnoxious looking. Wish it didn't have a huge flat roof though still. It needs a slanted roof or something. The stupid protruding jenga block on the top has seem to become a little less prominent. Thats what made it truly terrible. Its still pretty hideous though.
Agreed, I think a 30HY style roof has potential, especially if there were a neat public space up there.

It would also likely bring the building to 500+ meters

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:37 PM
BANNED

This looks hideous.

They always show only the south façade. Hopefully, the north façade has setbacks, though I doubt it. I just hope that this piece of trash doesn't get built.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:39 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
They always show only the south façade. Hopefully, the north façade has setbacks, though I doubt it. I just hope that this piece of trash doesn't get built.
The original rendering shows the building viewed from the South and East, it doesn't look like there are any setbacks on the North side at all, if there are they're very low down or don't take up the whole width of the facade.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 8:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
The original rendering shows the building viewed from the South and East, it doesn't look like there are any setbacks on the North side at all, if there are they're very low down or don't take up the whole width of the facade.
You're probably right.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I just hope that this piece of trash doesn't get built.
I hope something this tall will get built, but with a substantially improved design. If I counted correctly, the second photo above shows eleven supertalls, and I bet even those of you who don't mind this design will admit that it pales in comparison with any of the other ten.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 8:09 PM

Are there better renders? This can't be it surely.
How can anyone design this in 2019, let alone build it?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
How can anyone design this in 2019, let alone build it?
Because "muh markets," "muh get things done," "muh deregulation."

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 12:39 AM

Holy crap I thought this tower was just a fantasy project by some college kid, but it’s actually real? Yikes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals