HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Speaking of international flights, with the addition of the Cross Border Xpress, Tijuana International is essentially a second San Diego airport at this point, that only serves Mexican destinations. You basically complete your check-in in San Diego, and walk across to your gate in Tijuana. The bridge allows for dozens of nonstop flights accessible to the San Diego region without having to burden SAN. Unfortunately it's a 20-mile drive from Downtown San Diego.

Source
That's so cool! I had no idea.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 6:58 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Houston has a second international airport which you can also use.
Which is a pain to get to if you live south of I-10.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 7:02 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Which is a pain to get to if you live south of I-10.
…so then you go to Hobby.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 7:08 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
…so then you go to Hobby.
It's not that simple. If you fly SWA, you do Hobby. If you fly United or any other major airline (or overseas), you fly out of IAH. We are married to our United points so Hobby isn't even an option anymore.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 7:16 PM

Yes, not perfect but a good system. Two airports with one being a perfectly reasonable distance from downtown. Houston did fairly well at something which is hard to manage, which is how you layout and organize the airports across your city. Hobby can’t be a perfect distance from every neighborhood but it can be a perfect distance from the center of the city.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 7:24 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Yes, not perfect but a good system. Two airports with one being a perfectly reasonable distance from downtown. Houston did fairly well at something which is hard to manage, which is how you layout and organize the airports across your city. Hobby can’t be a perfect distance from every neighborhood but it can be a perfect distance from the center of the city.
Hobby is decent for anyone in Clear Lake, Pearland or Galveston.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 7:34 PM

Yes and then there is a second international airport as well and Galveston is 40 miles away from Hobby so…

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 8:25 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Yes and then there is a second international airport as well and Galveston is 40 miles away from Hobby so…
Galveston’s Sholes Airport Master Plan does also take into consideration the return of passenger service by major airlines. I doubt that’s gonna happen anytime soon or at all, but interesting to make light of.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 9:45 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Galveston’s Sholes Airport Master Plan does also take into consideration the return of passenger service by major airlines. I doubt that’s gonna happen anytime soon or at all, but interesting to make light of.
if Galveston's cruise port gets significantly busier; they already built a third terminal and added more ships, that airport makes total sense.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Are there any existing ROWs (or future with the Gateway Link or East Side Access) that could be used for any of the New York airports for a direct connection to Manhattan?
@NYguy do you know?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 2:43 AM
Resu Deretsiger

SFO got rated the best large airport and Sac got rated the best midsize airport by the WSJ. It might be worth its own thread, but I ain't about to start it!
source

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Are there any existing ROWs (or future with the Gateway Link or East Side Access) that could be used for any of the New York airports for a direct connection to Manhattan?
LaGuardia appears likely to be connected directly to the NYC subway system via an extension of the N train. Direct rail service to JFK that doesn't involve the Airtrain would most likely be achieved through an extension of the A train. But that's not likely to ever happen since the Airtrain is already there and serves the purpose just fine.

Using the LIRR+Airtrain, the travel time from Penn Station to JFK is in the 40 - 60 min range, which is about the same amount of time it would take to drive. I don't think spending billions of dollars to shave 10-20 minutes off of that trip is a good use of public funds. I would rather see that effort put into extending the subway to LGA and/or extending the PATH to EWR.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 5:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the FAA divides america's commercial passenger airports into 3 categories based on the number of passengers they serve: large hubs, medium hubs, and small hubs. there are 28 large hubs, 36 medium hubs, and a bunch small hubs.

most 1M+ US metros only have one main large or medium hub airport, but there are 8 CSAs with multiple large and medium hub airports, here's how they break down by the number of large hubs and medium hubs.

NEW YORK:
JFK
EWR
LGA

DC/BALTIMORE:
BWI
IAD
DCA

MIAMI:
MIA
FLL
PBI

CHICAGO:
ORD
MDW

LOS ANGELES:
LAX
SNA
ONT
BUR

BAY AREA:
SFO
OAK
SJC

DALLAS:
DFW
DAL

HOUSTON:
IAH
HOU

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 19, 2022 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Back in the 90's, Houston had three airports with scheduled service. Continental used to have cross-town hops from IAH to Hobby and Ellington Field, near NASA/Clear Lake. Flew to Ellington once when we were staying in Clear Lake and flew back into town late. Much easier than the 40 mile trek across town.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 1:14 AM

Quote:
When I travel to Houston I always try to arrive and depart from Hobby.
In NYC I prefer Newark, although perhaps that is controversial.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 1:21 AM

Delete

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
San Diego is the closest airport to any downtown I've seen. If you measure from the runway apron, it's basically across the street from the edge of downtown. Less than a mile to City Hall (in the absolute center) for sure. Landing in San Diego has the most dramatic/scary city views.

Source
The telephoto lens used in this pic makes it look much closer, so it is misleading.. It is a safe distance. It is at least a mile or two from where you have a few 500' buildings at the height limit. If you look carefully the buildings near the I-5 freeway near the flight path are just a few floors tall, well below (at least 200 below', maybe more) the planes at that point. The FAA says the setup is very safe, and I trust them. Most of the taller buildings are on the side of downtown away from the flight path near the bay. These telephoto pictures are misleading. Logan in Boston is almost as close, and often has worse weather than SD and buildings in downtown Boston are sometimes higher than SD. The last major accident in SD was 44 years ago in 1978, and that happened several miles away from downtown when a small plane collided with an incoming PSA jet. Since then there have been no repeats. It had nothing to do with downtown. It was pilot error on the part of the small plane which I believe had an elderly pilot who was where he shouldn't have been. Possibly controller error was involved as well. Can't remember.

So, Lindbergh International is very safe and very convenient. On the rare times when visibilty is impaired because of ground fog or other weather issues, the airport is closed. The airport also closes late at night because of noise restrictions. I believe 10 PM is the last, but it may be earlier. Most arrivals and departures are in daylight. Lindbergh International scores near the top for convenience and passenger satisfaction. Enjoy the view! It is spectacular.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 21, 2022 at 6:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
When I travel to Houston I always try to arrive and depart from Hobby.
In NYC I prefer Newark, although perhaps that is controversial.
Is United your primary airline?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 4:28 PM

Newark often makes the most sense if flying United. Or if your destination is Lower Manhattan or Brooklyn. Their new terminal is opening in a few weeks, BTW.

Speaking very generally, if your destination is Manhattan, LGA is the most preferred airport. It's easily the closest to Midtown, and it's probably the nicest airport now.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Newark often makes the most sense if flying United. Or if your destination is Lower Manhattan or Brooklyn. Their new terminal is opening in a few weeks, BTW.

Speaking very generally, if your destination is Manhattan, LGA is the most preferred airport. It's easily the closest to Midtown, and it's probably the nicest airport now.
LGA isn't an option for most people flying direct from the West Coast, though. I think Spirit is the only airline with a nonstop flight to the west coast from LGA, and it's only on Saturday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions