HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

516 Fifth Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 1:12 AM

Hard to imagine something 200+ feet taller than 500 Fifth right there. And then One Vanderbuilt is a block or so away.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:16 AM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:58 AM
New Yorker for life

The chance to build something new on this stretch of 5th Avenue is very rare. It's a prime location, and I wonder how it is that Donald Trump is missing out on all of this activity in the city. Maybe the fire is gone.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 12:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

True, he is missing out on the current boom. Granted Trump Soho was a success, but that was 2006. I'm surprised he hasn't build something prominent during the great boom of 2014. Guess he's to busy building in Dubai versus his hometown.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:13 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^

True, he is missing out on the current boom. Granted Trump Soho was a success, but that was 2006. I'm surprised he hasn't build something prominent during the great boom of 2014. Guess he's to busy building in Dubai versus his hometown.
He's too busy hanging out with fascists and being a buffoon on television.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 1:54 AM
New Yorker for life

You could've been a contender Donald! lol

http://www.trumpinternationalrealty.com/leadership/

Seriously though, that they didn't jump on the "Central Park" bandwagon is a head scratcher. I know it's all about acquisitions, but still. I think Trump Tower somewhat transformed that stretch of 5th Avenue. This tower is planned for a less glitzy stretch of 5th Aenue.

But could it be the "Trump Tower" of this decade?

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Approximate mark on the skyline...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 2:12 PM
New Yorker for life

We've been very excited about the various supertall towers planned in the city, but very quietly the number of 900 footers - under construction and planned - has been growing. A decade ago, just one of these towers would have brought about the enthusiasm of a supertall.

Meanwhile, it's possible that the mechanical floors above will push this one above the 920 ft mark.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 9:16 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
We've been very excited about the various supertall towers planned in the city, but very quietly the number of 900 footers - under construction and planned - has been growing.
Well, I've noticed it (but I'm a sucker for numbers, hence the supertall thread).

#900 footers:

1. One Manhattan West, 995ft (303m), prep
2. Four World Trade Center, 977ft (298m), com
3. 70 Pine Street, 952ft (290m) [roof 848ft / 258m], com
4. 220 Central Park South, 950ft (290m), u/c
5. 101 Murray Street, 950ft (290m), prep
6. SNCI NYC Tower, 950ft (290m) [Stale Proposal], vis
7. 30 Park Place, 937ft (286m), u/c
8. One Madison Avenue, 937ft (286m) [Stale Proposal], pro
9. 40 Wall Street, 927ft (283m) [roof 900ft / 274m], com
10. 520 5th Avenue, 920ft (280m), pro
11. Citigroup Center, 915ft (279m), com
12. Hudson Yards, 912ft (278m), u/c
13. 425 Park Avenue, 905ft (276m), pro
14. 281 5th Avenue, 900ft+ (274m+), pro
15. 3 West 29th Street, 900ft+ (274m+) , pro

Quote:
A decade ago, just one of these towers would have brought about the enthusiasm of a supertall.
A decade ago? Make that 5 or even 4 years.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 4:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
A decade ago? Make that 5 or even 4 years.
Five years ago we were already in supertall mode. But those 900 footers could be tallest buildings in many cities. I can remember when the NYSE tower, at 900 ft, was going to be a major addition. I can also remember the earlier version of Bloomberg that would have topped 900 ft. Those were exciting times, but now, I don't know if we would be as excited to get those proposals. Not that we're NOT excited, but there's a lot on the plate now. Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what this tower ultimately will bring to the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 2:50 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...es-draws-crowd

Hot market for building sites draws crowd
Four development properties, where towers as high as 1,000 feet can be built, have hit the market in recent days.

BY DANIEL GEIGER
JANUARY 12, 2015

Quote:
Leading the charge is real estate investor Joe Sitt, who is seeking a buyer for 520 Fifth Ave., a big development site on the corner of West 43rd Street that he had planned to use as the launchpad for a property combining retail, hotel and residential space.

Mr. Sitt’s firm, Thor Equities, spent the past year demolishing the existing building on the site, readying the parcel for development. About 350,000 square feet can be raised at the corner location, which is expected to sell for $350 million or more. Andrew Scandalios, a senior broker at HFF, is leading a team that is marketing the property to local and international buyers.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 3:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Sold or not, it will be ready to go...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
01/14/2015

SUPPORT OF EXCAVATION WORK FILED IN CONJUNCTION WITH APPROVED NEW BUILDING APPLICATION

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 1:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Not sure what's going on with this site. I haven't noticed any excavation, though they did file.

Here's a new filing...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
03/12/2015

APPLICATION FILED FOR BUILDERS PAVEMENT PLAN AS PER PLANS. FILED IN CONJUNCTION WITH NB# 121323923.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 8:27 PM

^ There is not even excavation equipment on site. Is there any time limit before they have to start excavation after they filed?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
^ There is not even excavation equipment on site. Is there any time limit before they have to start excavation after they filed?

Not sure, but that permit was granted in January.

The bigger question is whether or not Thor will build as planned or sell:

Quote:
Mr. Sitt’s firm, Thor Equities, spent the past year demolishing the existing building on the site, readying the parcel for development. About 350,000 square feet can be raised at the corner location, which is expected to sell for $350 million or more. Andrew Scandalios, a senior broker at HFF, is leading a team that is marketing the property to local and international buyers.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:20 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The chance to build something new on this stretch of 5th Avenue is very rare. It's a prime location, and I wonder how it is that Donald Trump is missing out on all of this activity in the city. Maybe the fire is gone.
Definitely lost his hair

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Definitely lost his hair
If this prime location is indeed up for sale, it wouldn't shock me to see Trump swoop in, even if he's been absent the NY scene. But whatever the case, I expect something to move forward. We see with 125 Greenwich St, a change of hands barely slows down development right now.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Definitely lost his hair
A good friend of mine is in senior leadership at one of the largest private equity firms in the world - his assessment is that Trump doesn't have the money or the respect Silverstein, Cos, Barnett, etc do. If he did, Trump would be behind 111w 57th street, or 220 CPS, etc.

I will admit, though, I really like his development on the upper west side.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:42 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I don't know that Trump would need it. He gets things done, and not all of the developers in action now have a highe "prestige" so to speak.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction