HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 12:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Barcelona airport's terminal 2 is a great example of a design that stands out by virtue of its sheer minimalism. The high ceilings, high-quality materials, and natural light, and space are enough. This is a design that will still be attractive 50 years from now; all it would need is cosmetic upgrades.

https://barcellona.italiani.it/l-aer...?cn-reloaded=1

This looks like the inside of a data centre.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 5:49 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Are they no longer going with the blue livery?

Definitely much needed and a big step forward for improving rail connectivity to LAX and in between the terminals. The train itself looks a bit derpy especially in all white with no other stripes or decals and obscured headlights. I thought the livery in the original renders looked pretty good. Anyway, the function is more important than the form here.
At this point, it looks like they'll be white, although it's not like they couldn't paint them a different color in the future.

I personally like the white — looks more "futuristic" and "pod-like."

Quote:
I think another thing LA could really benefit from other than a Sepulveda Transit Corridor connection to LAX is a brand new line, starting at Union Station, running along the same tracks as the Regional Connecter, then using a connection between the E Line from Jefferson/USC to the K Line at Fairview Heights, for a DTLA to LAX airport express type line.
Still not giving up on my dream of an LAX Express (with intermittent stops) along the Harbor Subdivision ROW:

LACMTA

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 6:04 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
This looks like the inside of a data centre.
Ha. It does.

My point is that there's a very fine line between tastefully whimsical (e.g. Madrid-Barajas) and kitschy.

For LA, we tend to get more of the latter. That's why a basic, no-frills design modular (i.e. cheaper to build) that focuses on silhouette and natural light and articulated through high-quality materials is the best approach as far as "future-proofing" the airport. Draw inspiration from the Stahl House and the MCM architecture in Palm Springs. That's a classic, quintessential cultural identifier of Los Angeles that's revered by most.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 6:50 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

This is the basic template I suggest drawing inspiration from. I would refine it by making the curtain wall seamless and more stripped down (i.e. fewer and/or less bulky mullions and transoms), fewer and thinner columns closer to the curtain wall, more elegant skin texture for the ceiling, and perhaps some skylights to give it some personality.

Otherwise, the sterile and barren visual language is actually what would set it apart from the majority of other "wow" airports. Beijing Capital is impressive by virtue of high-quality materials, size, and spaciousness, but it still screams "airport architecture" and you can very easily tell that it was designed by Norman Foster. Heathrow's Terminal 5 (also designed by Foster), while very nice, is boring because it follows standard conventions with the curvilinear roofline and trusses.

Most of the other "wow" airports around the world (built, under construction, or planned) are: 1) master-planned from scratch and built as a single unit (not feasible for LAX), 2) have architecture that is way too culture-specific, and/or 3) are visual overload to the point where they look like the work of a student's final project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
It's really not that complicated. I came up with this design in 5 minutes.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 7:02 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

This photo (apologies for the large size) really captures the essence of what makes BCN's T1 special in my eyes and what I would love for LAX to channel:

Architizer

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:51 AM

ongoing work on LAX's ppl mover. I notice at 2:30 there's what looks like a smaller control tower built into the the extension of the Bradley intnl terminal.

Video Link

^ most airports in the US & world have had ppl movers for quite awhile, so LAX is a laggard. When eric garcetti gave a speech a few months ago on the day the new amp car was being unveiled, he implied that past managers of the airport had intentionally forced ppl to drive into the horseshoe in order to add to parking revenues. If true, that's kind of pathetic....actually it's kind of irresponsible. I know that bus drivers have also wanted to keep the horseshoe unchanged for decades in order to keep their jobs. Not nice, ppl.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
^ as true of dtla, improvements to LAX have come so slowly that patience in LA is a requirement & necessity. But better late than never.

Most airports throughout the US & world have had ppl mover trains, some airports even having them for decades.

I watched this vid a few wks ago & as true of other aspects of LA, it doesn't help the image of the city. At least widespread homelessness isn't a big embarrassment to LA, so there's that. But I agree with you about the blue version of the trains vs the white ones. I think the ppl mover at the getty museum is very sleek looking, but the all white trains apparently slated for LAX are kind of iffy.

https://youtu.be/KFdGejjV3mg

I don't know whether public officials like Eric garcetti deserve either praise (for the good things) or blame (for the bad things) for what's occurring in LA. Probably 50/50.
This video's clickbait headline is utter garbage. Really?! “EVERYONE hates LAX”??? Before I go in on this video I will start by saying… The best thing about LAX; that no other airport in the world can claim, is that all 3 of the global airline alliances have major hubs at LAX. In addition to that, the major low cost carriers also have hubs at LAX. That means as a consumer, we have the most options, the best prices, and a higher probably for direct flights without connections. That’s bragging rights.

Now about this video… it was done in 2022 but he's talking like its 2019. The things he talks about like hour long horseshoe congestion, hasn't been a thing for over 2.5 years and by the time airline traffic picks back up, the people mover will be done next year and there will be no more shuttle traffic. Delta's T2 is the most cramped and yes there are lines for bathrooms and no available seats, but this is really the only terminal experiencing this much fuss as people dont know that part of the expansion has opened and there are more bathrooms upstairs and brand new ones on the way to the head house. Arguably the longest line in this terminal is for the water bottle filler, but people just dont know there are 4 brand new ones available because its so new in addition to the ones already upstairs... and we know the opening of Delta’s T3 next year will decompress much of T2’s strain. I fly out of this airport at least once a month to various airports around the world for work. For North American standards, LAX is fine and even nice in some regards. Orlando has HUGE security lines.. much longer than anything one would see at LAX and their terminal loop can now take 30-45 min to get through in today's time as it did with me a 3 months ago and 5 months ago... not a few years ago. My trip last week and the other 3 weeks ago I parked in the new ITF west economy parking garage for flights. It's $30/day and cheaper if you pre-book... about the same as Burbank. Yes, the shuttles can take a while, but its not crazy enough to "Hate."

Sure, LAX is not Asia, but it still is on par with the biggest airports in USA & Europe like London Heathrow, Amerstam's Schipol, Charles de Gaulle Paris. I was at Schipol Amsterdam a few months ago... again, nice but not blowing LAX out of the water. San Francisco is probably the nicest Major International airport with the best amenities in USA. Airports like Munich Int. in Germany blow LAX out of the water as it is gorgeous, clean and surprisingly quiet, but it is not a major top passenger airport in the world. Orlando, Las Vegas, New York, MIA, Newark, ATL.... LAX is on par if not better... unless you have a strong preference for Cuban food (like me), then MIA takes the cake on all airports worldwide!!!!!

Also, *quick update,* the brand new head houses for T5/T6 are now open and the North half of Tom Bradley's head house is also open. T5/T6 head house is not as functional as the Delta T2 or T1.5 head houses as they still need to build the rest of the terminal expansion connectors and attach the TSA security levels to the Headhouse. American just started demolishing T4 for their expansion. That is now 4 of the 6 head houses open!!

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 14, 2022 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
This video's clickbait headline is utter garbage. Really?! “EVERYONE hates LAX”??? Before I go in on this video I will start by saying… The best thing about LAX; that no other airport in the world can claim, is that all 3 of the global airline alliances have major hubs at LAX. In addition to that, the major low cost carriers also have hubs at LAX. That means as a consumer, we have the most options, the best prices, and a higher probably for direct flights without connections. That’s bragging rights.

Now about this video… it was done in 2022 but he's talking like its 2019. The things he talks about like hour long horseshoe congestion, hasn't been a thing for over 2.5 years and by the time airline traffic picks back up, the people mover will be done next year and there will be no more shuttle traffic. Delta's T2 is the most cramped and yes there are lines for bathrooms and no available seats, but this is really the only terminal experiencing this much fuss as people dont know that part of the expansion has opened and there are more bathrooms upstairs and brand new ones on the way to the head house. Arguably the longest line in this terminal is for the water bottle filler, but people just dont know there are 4 brand new ones available because its so new in addition to the ones already upstairs... and we know the opening of Delta’s T3 next year will decompress much of T2’s strain. I fly out of this airport at least once a month to various airports around the world for work. For North American standards, LAX is fine and even nice in some regards. Orlando has HUGE security lines.. much longer than anything one would see at LAX and their terminal loop can now take 30-45 min to get through in today's time as it did with me a 3 months ago and 5 months ago... not a few years ago. My trip last week and the other 3 weeks ago I parked in the new ITF west economy parking garage for flights. It's $30/day and cheaper if you pre-book... about the same as Burbank. Yes, the shuttles can take a while, but its not crazy enough to "Hate."

Sure, LAX is not Asia, but it still is on par with the biggest airports in USA & Europe like London Heathrow, Amerstam's Schipol, Charles de Gaulle Paris. I was at Schipol Amsterdam a few months ago... again, nice but not blowing LAX out of the water. San Francisco is probably the nicest Major International airport with the best amenities in USA. Airports like Munich Int. in Germany blow LAX out of the water as it is gorgeous, clean and surprisingly quiet, but it is not a major top passenger airport in the world. Orlando, Las Vegas, New York, MIA, Newark, ATL.... LAX is on par if not better... unless you have a strong preference for Cuban food (like me), then MIA takes the cake on all airports worldwide!!!!!

Also, *quick update,* the brand new head houses for T5/T6 are now open and the North half of Tom Bradley's head house is also open. T5/T6 head house is not as functional as the Delta T2 or T1.5 head houses as they still need to build the rest of the terminal expansion connectors and attach the TSA security levels to the Headhouse. American just started demolishing T4 for their expansion. That is now 4 of the 6 head houses open!!
I can't say I agree with this assessment. I think LAX is just about the worst airport experience out there. The traffic in the horseshoe, over crowded terminals with poor dining/shopping options and lack of seating, the fact that terminals don't connect to each other, lack of real transit connection...it's just a cluster. The improvements are certainly helping, but it's still my least favorite airport. I will fly out of Burbank if at all possible, even if it means connecting rather than a direct from LAX.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 5:39 AM

Gresham Smith; a consulting company, is working on a new way finding plan for LAX that if chosen could re-number all the gates at LAX... rather than the two digit "XX" numbers, the domestic terminals would be 3 digit "XXX" with the terminal starting in the first digit on the hundreds. This would get rid of the current Number, Number, Letter we have where there are more gates than there are numbers for each terminal

This further solidifies the Super Terminal concept for the big airlines, consolidating what was once 2 terminals into one. Delta consolidates into 200's, United into 700s, Bradley for numbers would be 300s, and the concept of a T9 International would actually be T8, while current T8 is under United 700s. Is American not getting full priority over T5 for another Super terminal 4?? Aren’t they “code-sharing” with JetBlue and where will AA's Eagles Nest regional terminal gates be relocated to once T9 starts construction next year?? Might this be the new MSC South Gates Expansion?? It looks to be this way in the Gresham Smith image below showing bus routes from T4/T5 to MSC and LAWA choosing to alter the design to be much smaller in scale than the existing MSC.
https://www.lawa.org/transforminglax...ming/msc-south

https://www.greshamsmith.com/project...ture-projects/

Also, I'm curious... does anyone know the plan for T7/T8 and why they are not getting a new standardized head house like the rest? The plans I've heard is that they will instead use the existing pedestrian bridge crossing and expand it, and this looks to be the case as the people mover crossing is now lined up with the existing parking garage crossing to T7.

Why would they not go for a new head house, or is this part of the plan to build up once the Star Alliance International Terminal 9 is finished??

Great resource for keeping up to date with the construction progress at LAX
https://www.lawa.org/transforminglax/photo-gallery

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 15, 2022 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 2:48 AM

Was at LAX again today. People mover Station C access is the biggest conundrum to me. They are building the pedestrian bridges up to the roadway but not yet past that.

Here is the one to T1, but it stops at the north access roadway. Looks like this one will be incomplete until the North Access road entrance is demolished and the new Concourse 0/T1 head house is built.

This is the access to T7 with the new bridge connecting behind the old one

Bradley's finished half

Bradley's unfinished half

I’ve been parking in the new ITF West economy parking for my past two trips and it has been quite full on the covered levels, many people circling, but the roof had availability.

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 18, 2022 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Also, I'm curious... does anyone know the plan for T7/T8 and why they are not getting a new standardized head house like the rest? The plans I've heard is that they will instead use the existing pedestrian bridge crossing and expand it, and this looks to be the case as the people mover crossing is now lined up with the existing parking garage crossing to T7.

Why would they not go for a new head house, or is this part of the plan to build up once the Star Alliance International Terminal 9 is finished??

Great resource for keeping up to date with the construction progress at LAX
Because T8 is actually not a terminal as it doesn't have landside facility. It is a concourse of T7 so there is no need for a new headhouse.

Also United is not interested in paying for an upgrade of T7.

I like the new plan... renumbering the gates will go a long way to make it clear where you are going. But I would have gone further and combined 4 and 5 into the same terminal branding since that is the operating plan once the T4 headhouse rebuild is complete... AA will have a single check in lobby that spans current T4 and T5.

And I probably would also combine the current T6, T7 and T8 into a single terminal as well.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 2:33 PM

I left LA about a month ago for work in Ireland, Egypt, Germany, Boston and Orlando. Just got back and it seems like so much has progressed in LA, starting with being welcomed into Delta's T3 satellite... and its pretty nice. Still to open are more gates and retail/food options, as well as the official head house area for T3.

As you enter the satellite area, you are greeted with a huge window looking out over the Basin towards the Hollywood Hills. In the foreground is a construction barricade surrounding what looks to be like an escalator bay. What are they going to put below?? Is this the same tunnel access as before leading to baggage claim?

Entering the satellite area looking left from the concourse

On the right side entrance is an under construction fancy Alfred Coffee shop

From the renderings to reality, it looks like somewhere between opening the concourse and the satellite area, they changed their wood panel palate colors. In some of the renderings, the satellite window treatments look to me to be dressed in the same color as the wood ceiling panels in the concourse walkway (you can zoom in on picture #1 and see a rendering on the construction barricades). In reality, they are different. The satellite wood is a very light wood that almost doesn't look like wood in the photos I took, but one can clearly see the contrasting wood panels on the concourse ceiling

Looking back towards the terminal entrance from satellite

On the left, a newly opened "Native" restaurant

Other vendors include "Homeboy bakery" and coming soon a "Jamba Juice". I was hoping that they would bring back "Earthbar" from the old Terminal 3. Guess I gotta go to T6 for that still if I'm flying on the South side of the airport. Hopefully now Delta will only put the smaller planes like 737 and A321 in T2, because when they have bigger planes there, it crowds the terminal with way more people than that terminal was designed for... still waiting to hear what they are going to do with the old (now closed off) T2 security and check-in spaces...

Last edited by hughfb3; Nov 1, 2022 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 8:19 PM

Was at LAX again this weekend. T4 is deep in its construction as the entire satellite portion has been closed off as well as the old T4 check in areas.

It seems like every week there is more that opens up in the Delta SkyWay complex. Now when you are waiting on your flight you can play games from vintage Ninentdo to the newest games. Delta T3 now has it in addition to T6. Also, Alfred Coffee has completed its construction and looks to be in the training process. Jamba Juice is open... still upset that Earthbar never returned to T3 and we get a Jamba(Sugar-Loaded) Juice in its place

The real unfinished last pedestrian Bridge over World Way is to T1... This one is waiting on the formation of Concourse 0

Last edited by hughfb3; Nov 14, 2022 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 2:40 PM

Quote:

Bradley's finished half

I’ve been parking in the new ITF West economy parking for my past two trips and it has been quite full on the covered levels, many people circling, but the roof had availability.
Had no idea they were redoing the front of the terminal. What a great look!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 2:12 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Aside from the people mover, CONRAC, and off-site facilities, everything so far at LAX has been an incremental improvement. Luckily for us, the people mover will be operational by this time next year, reducing some of the chaos that is the CTA.

I know LAX is an "origin and destination" airport, but it's also one of the world's busiest and the gateway to the Pacific Rim. An air-side underground people mover didn't make sense for just linking TBIT with the MSC, but I think it does for the entire airport. It's ridiculous that connecting passengers have to be bussed to another terminal.

Also, I really, really hoping against hope that we actually get a "world-class" design for Terminals 9 and 0. The new Terminal 3 is a joke and looks dated. This is why I'm not bothered that the Woods Begot-designed MSC South concourse is a different design. The architecture is much more sophisticated than TBIT and MSC North, and as such, raises the bar for future built-from-scratch terminals — hopefully.

The city and LAWA officials need to devise a long-term master plan that involves overhauling the entire airport over the next 25 years. They should consider making everything south of Arbor Vitae airport property, eliminating city blocks, consolidating hotels in one area farther north. It'd be great if they could also cap Sepulveda separating Terminal 8 and the site of Terminal 9, resulting in a huge 25-30-gate terminal.

In any scenario, Terminal 9 means more gates for United and opens the door for demolishing Terminal 8, then Terminal 7. Terminal 9 will have 12-18 gates (12 wide-body, 18 narrow-body, or a combo). United currently has 21 gates between Terminal 7 (13) and Terminal (8).

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 2:20 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

There's room for a 30-40-gate Heathrow Terminal 5-style satellite west of the MSC. This lays the groundwork for demolition of TBIT and MSC (which isn't even finished lol). It's true that LAX doesn't have the acreage of other airports, but we can get creative with land use. All parking (passengers, employees) should be consolidated and in multi-story structures (i.e. no surface parking). That includes relocating all parking structures in the CTA off-site near the ITFs, thereby further decreasing traffic in the CTA and creating millions of square feet for new check-in, concessions, etc.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Commission the best architecture and civil engineering firms in the world to come up with master plan proposals that will actually make LAX "world class."

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 2:33 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Had no idea they were redoing the front of the terminal. What a great look!
I'd be happy if all the terminals looked like this (front and back). A simple, modular, minimalist, no-frills design that will age well is perfectly acceptable. These days, you'd be hard-pressed to be find new airport architecture that is truly unique. Barajas and Suvarnabhumi are the coolest, and those opened in 2006.

A skin-bone design not unlike this (which already exists) is all we need:

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 10:51 PM

Lightbulb

The first post on this thread was back on Nov 17, 2008, more than 24 years ago. Please tell me when we start a new thread on the next modernization of LAX, because it looks like they will never compete the existing plan.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
The first post on this thread was back on Nov 17, 2008, more than 24 years ago. Please tell me when we start a new thread on the next modernization of LAX, because it looks like they will never compete the existing plan.
Yeah, this thread could have completed in 2016 as that was the end of previous plans from the 2000’s. We are current in a plan that started in late 2016

Last edited by hughfb3; Dec 12, 2022 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
You're off by 10 years...2008 was 14 years ago

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation