HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 8:56 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Really an excellent project to have and I’m glad it will have affordable housing but these developers who want to build urban development in Houston would be smartest to build along the Light Rail lines or the Bus Rapid Transit in order to achieve full success. I don’t see how it can successfully make living without a car a possibility in that development. I don’t see nearly enough retail development to achieve that.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 9:57 PM

Let’s be real it’s mainly homeless on the light rail. Who wants to ride that? Takes you from no where to no where.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1331 View Post
Let’s be real it’s mainly homeless on the light rail. Who wants to ride that? Takes you from no where to no where.
Such optimism. Attitudes like this is why we have a hard time building light rail here. It is essential for a walkable, urban environment.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:22 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Such optimism. Attitudes like this is why we have a hard time building light rail here. It is essential for a walkable, urban environment.
But the reality is especially post Covid, not nearly many people are using transit outside of transit heavy cities. MetroRail was nasty before the pandemic and until they get a handle on bums and vagrants loitering on the trains, people will drive or Uber.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:39 PM

That’s not what’s best for urban planning and Metrorail ridership has been going up since the pandemic ended, although it is not at pre-pandemic levels. Public Transportation will be essential for Houston to urbanize or else we will be a dense city relying on cars and that won’t work.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 3:36 PM

I haven’t used light rail in forever… I used to use it when I was doing my sports tourism for Astros and Rockets games but I always use ride share now when in downtown Houston.

It’s a shame if the light rail has gone that downhill, I always felt like the best tourism aspect of Houston was the sports facilities and nearby bars/food.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 5:01 PM

At one point, Houston had the highest ridership per mile in the country because our system went to all the right neighborhoods. BRT will only help expand ridership. We can’t afford to become a highly dense city while relying on cars.

Last edited by Double L; Nov 19, 2022 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 10:00 PM

I love that we have light rail, but it's too slow (about the same as buses) and every line we have is built on street level and interferes heavily with street/pedestrian traffic.

I wish Houston had a mid-high speed subway loop with about 8 or 10 stops max to allow for higher speeds connecting these areas:

1) Downtown

2) U of H

3) TMC/Reliant Park (would love to see the Astrodome area become a destination and a mass transit hub)

4) Rice Village

5) Greenway Plaza

6) The Galleria

7) Uptown Park area

8) Memorial Park

Just for kicks, add an elevated or submerged commuter line (that does not interfere with street/pedestrian traffic) down Westheimer and another one down the Kirby corridor with stops in these areas:

Westheimer Line:

1) U of H

2) Main/Elgin for connectivity w/ Red Line

3) Westheimer/Montrose

4) Westheimer/Kirby

5) Highland Village

6) The Galleria

7) Westhemer/Voss

8) Westchase area

9) Chinatown (obviously not on Westheimer but a direct link to Chinatown).

Come to think of it, a Bellaire/Holcombe Line with no more than two or three stops between Chinatown and TMC (perhaps a stop in Sharpstown and a stop at the Bellaire Triangle before connecting with the Red Line) wouldn't be a bad idea as the QuickLine currently takes 35 minutes to get from Chinatown to TMC. That commute would go from about 35 minutes to 12-15 minutes.

Kirby Line:

1) Reliant Park

2) Kirby/S. Main for connectivity w/ Red Line

3) Rice Village

4) Kirby/Westheimer for connectivity w/ Westheimer Line

5) Regent Square

6) Dallas/Main

I know that would cost a fortune, but it would probably save money in the long run by eliminating the need for an automobile for a lot more people, plus all the issues associated with them like accidents/pollution/gas consumption/etc. that come with automobiles. It could also absolutely change the way we develop. Just imagine having that service available moving forward and the future transit options that would open up to the suburbs/airports...hopefully also either elevated or submerged to prevent street intervention. That's the (logistical) problem with our current light rail system. It creates as much traffic as it alleviates.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident H-Town View Post
I wish Houston had a mid-high speed subway loop with about 8 or 10 stops max to allow for higher speeds...
It is said that the water table is too high for a subway. I would assume keeping it not filled with water during and after one of Houston's downpours (what my mom referred to as "toad stranglers") would cost too much as well.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
It is said that the water table is too high for a subway. I would assume keeping it not filled with water during and after one of Houston's downpours (what my mom referred to as "toad stranglers") would cost too much as well.
I've heard that before too, but we've had large areas of underground development all over the core of the city for decades from downtown to the med center to the Galleria, plus the subway at IAH airport. I-10 is completely submerged from 610 to downtown, 59 is submerged from Shepherd to Montrose, and they're also talking about submerging 59 from the Montrose area all the way past the Minute Maid Park area.

Every time there's a major flood, our freeways and streets also flood. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get the deterrence with regard to building that kind of subway network. If it's truly not feasible, elevate the trains...although that would likely bring imminent domain into the equation and could still disrupt street/pedestrian traffic along skinny corridors like Westheimer inside the loop.

Last edited by Resident H-Town; Nov 21, 2022 at 5:40 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Really an excellent project to have and I’m glad it will have affordable housing but these developers who want to build urban development in Houston would be smartest to build along the Light Rail lines or the Bus Rapid Transit in order to achieve full success. I don’t see how it can successfully make living without a car a possibility in that development. I don’t see nearly enough retail development to achieve that.
Good thing there's a light rail station roughly at the south end of the development (that will provide an easy connection to the University Line BRT). And a north-south bus line and an east-west bus line that go through the development.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 9:59 PM

Quote:
As Green Country mentioned, the Harrisburg Metrorail line runs along the south side of that development.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 1:50 AM

I checked google maps and according to google maps, that was not the case. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 3:01 PM
FYHA

Quote:
I checked google maps and according to google maps, that was not the case. Perhaps I misunderstood.
The southernmost part of the development looks to be at Harrisburg Blvd & Sampson St. The Coffee Plant/Second Ward station on the Green Line is within 2 blocks of that intersection.

There's actually some decent and small infill going in around that particular station right now, not associated with this project.

On the north side - Platform Group rehabbed 3501 Harrisburg and is building a 3-story structure adjacent to it at 3509 Harrisburg

Drone photo c/o hindesky on HAIF

On the south side, a 5-story apartment complex called Harrisburg Lofts is underway.

Renderings from Paco Jones on HAIF

Drone photo c/o hindesky on HAIF

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 4:03 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 6:16 PM

Quote:
It shows up on my Google maps... for that matter one doesn't have to go to Google maps, one can see the station in the posts above.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Wattleigh’s post is correct. The light rail station is two blocks away.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:10 PM
FYHA

Autry Park

The next residential tower may be coming sooner than later. Per this information from hindesky on HAIF...

Quote:
The tower crane operator who works for TAS just messaged me on IG saying his bosses just told him they are moving him to a Hanover high rise project to build a 42 story high rise here in Houston. He is currently operating the tower crane at the Marquette Companies White Oak apartments. He was told he would transfer over to his new job around Jan-March. He was also the operator at the Allen project on the taller crane and the tower crane operator at the Hanover River Oaks. Only building that qualifies in that height range is the one at Hanover Autry Park.
Sure enough, permitting appears to have gone out per the COH database for a residential tower of at least 40 stories.

Renderings of at least a "placeholder" tower c/o CBRE

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 3:13 PM
FYHA

1934 West Gray

A few blocks south of Autry Park (and Regent Square) at West Gray & Woodhead, an existing 4-story Chase Bank building may not be long for this world.

Circled from a rendering in the previous post

Current structure on site, looking back toward Autry Park

Renderings from Urbannizer on HAIF via the COH Planning & Development Department.

It is on the agenda for the December 1st meeting of the Planning Commission.

Last edited by Wattleigh; Nov 23, 2022 at 3:25 PM. Reason: IMG

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 5:14 PM
FYHA

Residences on Westheimer (2311 Westheimer Road)

info c/o Paco Jones on HAIF

Quote:
Project:
Residences on Westheimer

Architect:
Ziegler Cooper

Information:
9 levels of residential over 4 levels of parking (1 level below grade). 209 units for a total of 359,551 SF of gross residential area. 2,800 SF of ground floor retail space. Construction will begin very soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations