HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Fort Lauderdale is a circle of hell, I absolutely hate that airport.

Laguardia is disgusting.
2021 called.

LaGuardia is one of the best airports in the country at the moment.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:56 PM
E pluribus unum

Newark's architecture isn't the problem, its whoever's bright idea it was to give the meanest SOBs in Jersey customer service jobs.

Also, I've never had the displeasure of checking in or going through security at ATL, but even as big as it is, I've never had any problems connecting through there. DFW on the other hand...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
So Houston has the most convenient and least convenient airports? I’m actually not surprised. I’ll inconvenience myself to fly out of Hobby rather than IAH.
Both airports are on the best lists.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Toronto (Pearson) is just fucking horrible, despite the outrageous fees charged.

Pre pandemic, all the best airports were in Asia (e.g., Incheon, in Seoul).
US airports are just "functional", but not that bad. They can't really compare to Seoul (Incheon), Singapore (Changi), or even Tokyo (Narita). But I don't think those kinds of airports are possible to build in the US with our construction costs. It is also quite self-evident that our public infrastructure planners, be it sea ports, airports, or subway/metro, have never even travelled outside of North America, so they have no idea about the standards/best practices anywhere outside of their bubble.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 9:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
But I don't think those kinds of airports are possible to build in the US with our construction costs.
That's certainly a big piece of it. Additionally, I think our politics are a touch different too in the fact that there's a notion of "providing value to the taxpayers".

Why go all out and spend $30B of tax money on a 5-star world-besting air travel palace, when the 3-star, but still totally functional, $15B airport will also get the job done?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 25, 2022 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
US airports are just "functional", but not that bad. They can't really compare to Seoul (Incheon), Singapore (Changi), or even Tokyo (Narita). But I don't think those kinds of airports are possible to build in the US with our construction costs. It is also quite self-evident that our public infrastructure planners, be it sea ports, airports, or subway/metro, have never even travelled outside of North America, so they have no idea about the standards/best practices anywhere outside of their bubble.
What's so special about Narita? Other than the top notch rail connections to Tokyo, it seemed like an unremarkable airport to me the last time I was there.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 2:14 AM

Yeah, Narita, like most Japanese infrastructure, seems extremely functional, but far from grand. It's nothing like Seoul or Singapore, or all those Gulf state or Chinese airports. Is there a grand transportation facility in Tokyo? They have the best rail system on earth but don't ever remember a station that wasn't blandly functional.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions