HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 4:21 AM

Waterline, The Travis (blue cranes) & Ritz-Carlton site (staging area for The Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneetigers View Post
Construction progress at Waller, Travis, Ritz

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 4:37 PM

https://austin.towers.net/austins-ne...h-and-trinity/

Quote:
Austin-based real estate development firm Wilson Capital announced this morning that its redevelopment of the Avenue Lofts site will be significantly larger than previously reported. The multifamily residential building planned for the 0.8-acre property at 410 East Fifth Street, now known as Wilson Tower, is set to rise 80 floors to a total height of 1,035 feet — and yes, that would make the project the new tallest tower in Texas upon completion, exceeding the height of the Waterline supertall project currently under construction a few blocks away by 13 feet.

Wilson Tower is described by its developer as a signature 450-unit apartment building with residences ranging from studios to 3 and 4-bedroom penthouses. Designed by the Austin office of global architecture firm HKS Inc., the building’s impressive height is matched by a remarkable appearance — its signature design feature is a brise soleil, or shade structure, wrapping the tower’s entire glass exterior on the eastern and western elevations. It’s one of our favorite architectural touches on many midcentury buildings including the nearby Cambridge Tower, and seeing this sort of design updated for a modern tower is a welcome addition to the Austin skyline:

“Our vision for Wilson Tower is to set a new bar in skyscraper residences for Austin that we believe will foster creativity and social connection. Along with welcoming outdoor terraces and gardens, the tower itself is wrapped in a brise soleil that offers protection from the hot Texas sun and wind while also providing structural strength. This brise soleil gives the building uniquely shaded and comfortable outdoor living spaces on every level.”

It’s up for debate, but the building’s curved crown created by the brise soleil reminds us of the nearby Pennybacker Bridge. Sharp readers may note that the structure’s impressively thin profile is partially due to the setbacks imposed by the Downtown Parks Overlay due to the presence of Brush Square directly south of the project site — we weren’t sure how the redevelopment of Avenue Lofts would respond to this little-known regulation, but the building’s sharp look is a pleasant side effect.

As the city’s tallest apartment building upon completion, alongside its unobstructed (and presumably well-shaded) views Wilson Tower is set to offer four floors of resident amenities including a pool deck, movie theater, and cocktail lounge. The building also plans an entire floor dedicated to pets, including grooming services, a playroom, and dog run. The tower’s ground-level streetscape contains a signature restaurant and bar space, plus valet parking for residents.

Along with its designers at HKS, the project’s development team includes interior designers Britt Design Group, civil engineers Kimley-Horn, and landscape architects Nudge Design. The building is expected to break ground by summer 2023. Did you really think downtown Austin had run out of surprises?

Last edited by Urbannizer; Nov 14, 2022 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
Residents in those two high rises on the right can lean over their balcony railings and exchange gossip between the two buildings.

Last edited by bilbao58; Nov 14, 2022 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 5:33 PM

I wonder if this will prompt Waterline to respond with a height increase? There is currently a new tallest battle going on between two supertalls already under construction in Toronto. Very reminiscent of New York City 100 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 5:55 PM

80 storeys but only 450 units? Wow, those must be some huge units.

The Toronto height contest is definitely a thing, too. Both buildings are actively advertising as "Canada's tallest building" - can't have that be taken away by the other building!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 7:44 PM
Member since 2001

It's going to be a very thin tower - thus, fewer units. I think I saw the largest unit will be just under 3,800 SF.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 7:48 PM
Meh

To be honest, Waterline was more of a surprise for its height than this is. Waterline has a considerably larger site, whereas this site is pretty tiny and is regulated by a park overlay district. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few more supertall proposals for some of the other small lots. I have to admit, this one wasn't quite on my radar for being a supertall, especially not since we already had those earlier renderings that showed a more slabby tower. I just thought we'd get some more polished/tweaked renderings showing a refined design.

The small lot size is the reason for the tall tower and also the reason for the relatively small number of units in an 80-story supertall. It's also why they're dedicating a full floor to the pets of the residents of the building.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 8:21 PM

Oh snap... that'st unique!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
To be honest, Waterline was more of a surprise for its height than this is. Waterline has a considerably larger site, whereas this site is pretty tiny and is regulated by a park overlay district. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few more supertall proposals for some of the other small lots. I have to admit, this one wasn't quite on my radar for being a supertall, especially not since we already had those earlier renderings that showed a more slabby tower. I just thought we'd get some more polished/tweaked renderings showing a refined design.

The small lot size is the reason for the tall tower and also the reason for the relatively small number of units in an 80-story supertall. It's also why they're dedicating a full floor to the pets of the residents of the building.
I have seen some vague comments on instagram mentioning up to 5 supertalls are in the works in Austin. And did see one more comment on instagram of someone working on a taller building than this one.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I have seen some vague comments on instagram mentioning up to 5 supertalls are in the works in Austin. And did see one more comment on instagram of someone working on a taller building than this one.
Where are these comments on Instagram? We have a legit 90-story tower in the works, but I am highly suspect of others - especially considering the current office market.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 11:36 PM

Wow! This is crazy! All of these super tall proposals has me excited!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 2:27 AM
Meh

Quote:
Sites I would assume would go supertall:

3rd & Congress lots - mention of a 90-story tower for that site.
Post office redevelopment - full block opportunity.
Hobby Building redevelopment - full block opportunity.
The Railyards - the renderings have already indicated something in the 950 to 1,000 foot range.

Those would be the 4 I'd be thinking of, plus this one now which makes 5. And that's excluding the Waterline that is under construction now.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 2:39 AM
クラブトクヨ

The Wilson will be a game changer! I also really like the name.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 4:58 AM

The thing I am most excited about is seeing all these projects go up around these two supertalls creating a very dense skyline.

Also, if Austin does get 4 more supertalls, I hope that at least one of them will rise well over 1,100 ft. Even if the other three don't hit the 1,000' mark. I find skylines more aesthetically appealing when it peaks to one point, with a cluster of towers surrounding the tallest point.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
The thing I am most excited about is seeing all these projects go up around these two supertalls creating a very dense skyline.

Also, if Austin does get 4 more supertalls, I hope that at least one of them will rise well over 1,100 ft. Even if the other three don't hit the 1,000' mark. I find skylines more aesthetically appealing when it peaks to one point, with a cluster of towers surrounding the tallest point.
It's a pretty narrow band for a supertall that does not hit 1,000'. They would not vary more than 16' which would be barely perceivable. That would create the dreaded supertall plateau that everyone is trying to avoid.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
It's a pretty narrow band for a supertall that does not hit 1,000'. They would not vary more than 16' which would be barely perceivable. That would create the dreaded supertall plateau that everyone is trying to avoid.
Totally. That's what I'm basically saying. I wouldn't mind if those other three don't even hit the 300*meter mark, so long as one of them rises well over 1,100'.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:34 AM
クラブトクヨ

The fact we are discussing multiple super talls in Austin is wild!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 3:23 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
The fact we are discussing multiple super talls in Austin is wild!
While I agree it's exciting, the US is overdo for some new supertall cities.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
While I agree it's exciting, the US is overdo for some new supertall cities.
I agree!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 7:48 AM

Waterline

Modern Austin Residences

The Travis

700 River

Vesper

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations