HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
The fence for Hilo (7th/Mill: https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=76307) was taken down. Not sure why. Tempe Development Map has shown Hilo in review for a building permit for about a year. My guess has been that they applied for a building permit before they were ready to actually build to preserve their entitlements, which stipulate that they have to apply for a building permit within 2 years of getting the entitlements, which was in August 2019. But that's just me reading the tea leaves. Not sure what taking down the fence means if anything.
That lot was used for construction equipment & material storage for the Westin Tempe. That could be the reason but just speculating.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 6:53 AM
Skyriser

^ I totally forgot about that one. The project's most likely dead.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 5:43 PM

Quick question, I noticed they're tearing down the building south of Mirabella and north of the ASU FAC/Art Museum, does anyone know if that plot is planned to be used for something else? I'm assuming its owned by ASU but I am also about to go into my last year at the school and still have no idea what that building was for. I want to say its between 9th and 10th on Mill, just curious if there's any plans for that area.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 5:53 PM
Skyriser

951 S Mill was part of the art school, as was the smaller building at 18 E 10th St. I know some of that stuff has moved to Downtown Phoenix.

Probably just going to be hotel parking for now.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA7 View Post
Quick question, I noticed they're tearing down the building south of Mirabella and north of the ASU FAC/Art Museum, does anyone know if that plot is planned to be used for something else? I'm assuming its owned by ASU but I am also about to go into my last year at the school and still have no idea what that building was for. I want to say its between 9th and 10th on Mill, just curious if there's any plans for that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
951 S Mill was part of the art school, as was the smaller building at 18 E 10th St. I know some of that stuff has moved to Downtown Phoenix.

Probably just going to be hotel parking for now.
Yeah, they are building a 1200-car parking structure there, for ASU and the hotel. See item #18, p. 16 here:

https://www.azregents.edu/sites/defa...pment_plan.pdf

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 7:27 PM
Skyriser

The capital facilties report doesn't say anything about retail as a ground floor use which seems to be a kick in the teeth with a streetcar stop literally right there.

Kind of curious about the Wilson Hall replacement in the same report. Might be reasonably tall given that it's six times the size of the three-story building presently on the site.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Ahhh. Finally those buildings bite the dust. I have a bunch of memories of different buildings and business in and around ASU from when I started there as a freshman in 1997 that are basically wiped clean from history. The ones they are tearing down now used to include a mid-sized grocery store. My first night moving into the dorms (also demolished) my roommate and I went to that grocery store to stock up on essentials (probably ingredients for cheese crisps, candy, etc.) .. anyone remember the name of the store?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Ahhh. Finally those buildings bite the dust. I have a bunch of memories of different buildings and business in and around ASU from when I started there as a freshman in 1997 that are basically wiped clean from history. The ones they are tearing down now used to include a mid-sized grocery store. My first night moving into the dorms (also demolished) my roommate and I went to that grocery store to stock up on essentials (probably ingredients for cheese crisps, candy, etc.) .. anyone remember the name of the store?
So that's what was in those buildings, I started in 2019 at ASU and so many of my classes are across the street from there in FAC but I still have no clue what was in there, the grocery store must've been long gone by the time I got there :/ Also I agree that its weird that they are building a parking structure with zero retail right by the streetcar stop, seems counterproductive to me.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 7:51 PM

Sacks was pretty good too

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So that's what was in those buildings, I started in 2019 at ASU and so many of my classes are across the street from there in FAC but I still have no clue what was in there, the grocery store must've been long gone by the time I got there :/ Also I agree that its weird that they are building a parking structure with zero retail right by the streetcar stop, seems counterproductive to me.
Grocery store was a little before my time (I was there in the mid/late 2000s). I believe I had a Shakespeare class in that building though. My main memory is feeling bad for the professor who came back to work after losing her retirement in the recession.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Grocery store was a little before my time (I was there in the mid/late 2000s). I believe I had a Shakespeare class in that building though. My main memory is feeling bad for the professor who came back to work after losing her retirement in the recession.
I'm pretty sure the grocery store was closed by about 2001 if not sooner. I also vaguely remember a record store or maybe a video store next to the grocery store.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 8:22 PM
Skyriser

The grocery store was Stabler's IGA.

https://www.facebook.com/TempeHistor...6470032750373/

What else was there... Tower Records, a Radio Shack, Sack's deli, and a couple other things were at the place's peak in the 1990s. I think Sack's only moved because it was so popular amongst the faculty.

A shame ASU ended up buying it and killing that place off.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 8:25 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The grocery store was Stabler's IGA.

What else was there... Tower Records, a Radio Shack, Sack's deli, and a couple other things were at the place's peak in the 1990s. I think Sack's only moved because it was so popular amongst the faculty.

A shame ASU ended up buying it and killing that place off.
Stabler's IGA. Nothing special, but an easy walk for students living on campus.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Stabler's IGA. Nothing special, but an easy walk for students living on campus.
Thank you Combusean!

Close to campus, but actually for my roommate and I we'd ride our bikes to the Safeway on Rural and Broadway via McCallister south to the railroad tracks to Mill instead of Stabler's. it was actually a bit closer.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the grocery store was closed by about 2001 if not sooner. I also vaguely remember a record store or maybe a video store next to the grocery store.
Upset I missed a record store being close to campus, but I guess all the new retail/apartment places along Mill and Apache are fun to have instead. Always find it interesting to learn about what was around campus before I got here.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Upset I missed a record store being close to campus, but I guess all the new retail/apartment places along Mill and Apache are fun to have instead. Always find it interesting to learn about what was around campus before I got here.
There was also a record store in the basement of the MU. I doubt that's there any longer.

A lot of development has obviously changed the entire area. I remember thinking the exact same thing when I graduated ASU compared to when I started. Heavyweights like Bandersnatch, Long Wongs, Thirsty Beaver, Dos Gringos, etc. were all gone or soon to be gone once I graduated. And from then to now it's exponential change. I still wish I did a big photo tour of ASU when I graduated so I could have a "timestamp" of the area.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 9:12 PM

Quote:
There was also a record store in the basement of the MU. I doubt that's there any longer.

A lot of development has obviously changed the entire area. I remember thinking the exact same thing when I graduated ASU compared to when I started. Heavyweights like Bandersnatch, Long Wongs, Thirsty Beaver, Dos Gringos, etc. were all gone or soon to be gone once I graduated. And from then to now it's exponential change. I still wish I did a big photo tour of ASU when I graduated so I could have a "timestamp" of the area.
Hoodlums! Spent a lot of time there. Closed around 2012 I think.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 9:21 PM
Skyriser

While we're reminiscing, I will miss until the end of time Coffee Plantation. Between the Biltmore location and Downtown Tempe, I've yet to go to a coffee shop that has a similar vibe in a similar area.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 9:41 PM

Quote:

I'm starting to get that feeling since I'll be gone in a year, there's so many projects popping up that I'm like wow that's cool can't wait for that completion and then remembering it'll finish after I graduate, especially the Novus Corridor I keep following the progress of it but then forgetting it won't even be close to done by the time I leave Tempe :/

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 11:41 PM

The long term plan shows an "academic building" 4-5 stories with ground floor retail slated for the west side of the garage with a 5-6 story student housing development slated for the east side of the garage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest