HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 1:03 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
^I assume that is north of Walton St, on what is now surface parking. Do you know if the Western News Company garage directly along the El tracks will be sparred?
Yes, north of Walton. No, that building will go as part of the parking lot.

----
New SOM/Wight-designed library in Chinatown (2100 S. Wentworth) unveiled:

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 4:01 AM

^ I like it. Trying to figure out exactly where this goes. Looks like the west side of the street, but the only thing that would make sense is where a parking lot for Chinatown Square currently is, or the parking lot next to Chinatown Market? Hope it's the parking lot next to Chinatown Market

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 5:01 AM
The City

Love the design of the Chinatown library

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 5:03 AM

I like it. Looks like the friendship heights library.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 6:08 AM

My concern re: the library would be all that non-building space. As I recall, the site is surrounded by parking lots or non-friendly-looking things on pretty much all sides. Are people going to want to hang out there, or is it just going to be useless empty space? I feel like Archer needs to feel much *more* boxed-in in Chinatown, not less.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 2:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ I like it. Trying to figure out exactly where this goes. Looks like the west side of the street, but the only thing that would make sense is where a parking lot for Chinatown Square currently is, or the parking lot next to Chinatown Market? Hope it's the parking lot next to Chinatown Market
Yes, it's on the lot next to Chinatown market.

I for one would love to one day see a redevelopment of the Chinatown Square shopping center. I think that neighborhood is deserving of something more inviting than an inward oriented mall. Something that places shops on the street would be a good start

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I for one would love to one day see a redevelopment of the Chinatown Square shopping center. I think that neighborhood is deserving of something more inviting than an inward oriented mall. Something that places shops on the street would be a good start
Why mess with something that isn't broken? Every time I would head down there it always seemed to be thriving, with a healthy mix of business types, and a solid consumer base. It seems to suit the neighborhood well. If anything maybe one day the Archer parking lots get redeveloped, but I couldn't imagine the whole complex.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 4:29 PM

I personally like Chinatown Square, except the main big area could have more in it (the one with all the busts of astrological signs in it). There's always a number of people the square when I go, the businesses have a lot in them, and there's even new ones coming (i.e. Sing's Noodles). Whenever I'm at Cai for dim sum, it's just packed as hell too.

I think the Library will be good (and also great infill). I always like Chinatown type of areas and I hope it continues to grow. Don't forget there's supposed to be a 4 story, 72 room hotel put up kind of down the street from this at 253 W Cermak.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 4:41 PM
The City

Quote:
Don't forget there's supposed to be a 4 story, 72 room hotel put up kind of down the street from this at 253 W Cermak.
^ I take it that's from sleuthing permit data? Has anyone here come across any renderings?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I take it that's from sleuthing permit data? Has anyone here come across any renderings?
Yeah. Actually it was issued in May and I wrote about it back then. I haven't really found much except it's supposed to have ground floor commercial as well.

The only thing I've found on it, other than the owner is "Chicago America Real Estate LLC" is this City Council action for a canopy on the site OK'd back in May. It shows a small rendering of part of the building (but not all) in the attached PDF. It also has the name "Jason No 1 Hotel Inc" attached to it.

http://chicago.legistar.com/Legislat...8-1D2213D54FF9

I was in Chinatown yesterday and noticed a general construction fence on the site but for some reason I didn't think to see if anything was going on (I don't remember seeing any construction equipment there though).

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 8:00 PM

That wouldn't by chance be the same hotel that was proposed a couple years ago as a 10-12 story highrise, would it? I don't have a rendering of it but I remember it was ornamented in a traditional chinese style with the dougong rooftop and everything, if I'm not mistaken.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 8:40 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Yes, north of Walton. No, that building will go as part of the parking lot.

----
New SOM/Wight-designed library in Chinatown (2100 S. Wentworth) unveiled:

This looks outstanding - I only wish SOM did more PBC-related projects.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
That wouldn't by chance be the same hotel that was proposed a couple years ago as a 10-12 story highrise, would it? I don't have a rendering of it but I remember it was ornamented in a traditional chinese style with the dougong rooftop and everything, if I'm not mistaken.
I think you mean this, which is not the same. I really wish this would happen, but it most likely won't (though I think the developer still owns that warehouse?)

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...hinatown-1.php

Last edited by marothisu; Sep 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 8:24 PM

Red Line Reconstruction

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know why wood ties are being used on the red line reconstruction and not concrete ties? Isn't there a big performance difference in terms of weather resistance?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 8:42 PM
TL;DR

It's been discussed, and surprisingly, the answer is no. As long as the drainage system is properly draining water away from the tracks, the lifespan should be about the same. The Red Line project included a total reconstruction of the drainage system, so that should function properly for years to come.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 9:14 PM

In particularly demanding situations like High Speed Rail, or busy and curvy freight routes with heavy lateral forces on the rails, or subways where the ties pretty much need to be replaced all at once, or in slab track, then concrete is clearly the way to go.

On a straight route that will see only relatively lightweight EMUs at moderate speeds, where the tracks are in ballast and neither tunneled nor elevated, periodic inspection and replacement of deteriorating ties as needed is not that difficult. This means the lifecycle costs of wood will be lower.

It really perplexes me why concrete ties are used in some situations where there's really no point... but as long as the feds are paying, why not, right?!

(image credit: lightrailnow.org)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I think you mean this, which is not the same. I really wish this would happen, but it most likely won't (though I think the developer still owns that warehouse?)

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...hinatown-1.php
I think he is referring to this one: Grand Imperial Hotel
Either way, I'd like to see both built, but I am doubtful as this developer has more un-built projects than anyone else I can think of. I question their ability to follow through on any new project that they have.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 4:31 AM
you know where I'll be

Chinatown Library

Now this is what I like to see. Great find, and thanks for posting Spyguy.
For some reason still having a little trouble placing the site....will just need to map this one....

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
I think he is referring to this one: Grand Imperial Hotel
Either way, I'd like to see both built, but I am doubtful as this developer has more un-built projects than anyone else I can think of. I question their ability to follow through on any new project that they have.
If you read my link, you'll notice that Grand Imperial Hotel is mentioned on the bottom half and the site has a small handful of renderings of it. So you know..

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 6:23 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Now this is what I like to see. Great find, and thanks for posting Spyguy.
For some reason still having a little trouble placing the site....will just need to map this one....
https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.85380...01874&t=h&z=20

Not too hard to find, corner of Archer and Wentworth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development