HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Off topic but since we love skyscrapers:

Not sure what movie... but a futuristic DTLA concept, don't see these too often.
Can we get at least 2 or 3 skyscrapers from that concept pretty pleeeasee?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Off topic but since we love skyscrapers:

Not sure what movie... but a futuristic DTLA concept, don't see these too often.
It's from an episode of Star Trek: Picard

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 11:05 PM

Oh cool, I love the tallest tower to the left US Bank and the two to the right of Wilshire are pretty neat-o, though I'm not sure we can build like that yet.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 3:32 AM

I recall when these bldgs at the ne corner of 4th & broadway burned in 2007....15 yrs ago....& assumed they would be soon at least torn down, if not totally rebuilt or renovated. Wrong. In 2022 that abandoned hulk still sits across from the relatively new Perla apt tower.

eecue.com

skyscraperpagecity.com

Now this vacant bldg at LA St & 3rd, on the SW edge of little tokyo, & previously caught on fire, has become another burned out hulk in dtla. Based on 4th & broadway, I guess it's safe to assume this property will be still sitting burned & untouched in 2037.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 4:17 PM

The ticky tack politics at LA city hall & elsewhere (such as in even online forums, ssp or otherwise), & clashing opinions, are reasons why the phrase 'this is why we can't have nice things' applies in so instances....

Quote:

The second appellant, an affiliated of Blue Arch Investments, is the developer behind a proposed Hyatt Center hotel on a neighboring site to the west fronting Broadway. Arguments raised in the appeal allege that the construction of the proposed tower would negatively impact the use of the as-yet unbuilt hotel, and urged a redesign of the project to either reduce its scale or relocate the bulk of the high-rise. The appeal continues an earlier disagreement between the two developers - Jade previously appealed the Hyatt Centric project, forcing Blue Arch to redesign the development to account for a four-foot widening of the alley which divides the two sites.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 8:18 PM

About how long does it typically take a developer to get shovels in the ground once city council signs off?

Olympic Tower and Crescent Heights' 70 story tower at 1045 S Olive both have been cleared by city council for about, or over, a year but neither have broken ground.

Obviously, rates have gone up dramatically and the rental market may be going for a down turn, but just wondering how long that transitional period of locking up financing, locking up GCs or project managers, procuring building supplies, getting demo permits, etc. usually takes before breaking ground.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 11:55 PM

Proposed tower at 12th & Main clears L.A. City Planning Commission

The mixed-use high-rise would rise on the west border of the Fashion District

Steven Sharp
Urbanize LA
October 28, 2022

At its meeting yesterday, the Los Angeles City Planning Commission denied two appeals targeting a proposed mixed-use high-rise development at 12th and Main Streets in the Fashion District, allowing a zoning administrator's earlier approval to stand.

Jade Enterprises, the developer behind the project at 1123-1161 S. Main Street, intends to raze a stretch of single-story commercial buildings to clear the way for the construction of a new 30-story tower featuring 363 one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments above a four-story podium featuring 12,500 square feet of retail and a 363-car garage.

Designed by MVE + Partners, the contemporary glass-and-steel building would rise approximately 340 feet in height. The trunk of the tower is placed at the center of the property, with setbacks used to create podium-top amenity decks to either side. Other proposed amenities include a roof deck featuring with a swimming pool, as well as indoor lounge rooms.

Additionally, the placement of the tower aligns with another mixed-use project which Jade is slated to build on the opposite side of Main Street. Plazas in front of both developments would be linked together by a mid-block crossing.

According to an environmental study circulated last year by the City of Los Angeles, construction of the new tower at 12th and Main is expected to occur over a roughly 30-month period, which could conclude as early as 2026.

The first of the two appeals rejected by the Commission came from Supporters Alliance for Environmental Responsibility (SAFER), a union-affiliated organization which frequently emerges as an appellant of new developments requiring discretionary entitlements. Their arguments, which were disputed by a staff response, alleged that the sustainable communities environmental assessment conducted for the 12th and Main tower failed to consider several key issues, and should be redone.

The second appellant, an affiliated of Blue Arch Investments, is the developer behind a proposed Hyatt Center hotel on a neighboring site to the west fronting Broadway. Arguments raised in the appeal allege that the construction of the proposed tower would negatively impact the use of the as-yet unbuilt hotel, and urged a redesign of the project to either reduce its scale or relocate the bulk of the high-rise. The appeal continues an earlier disagreement between the two developers - Jade previously appealed the Hyatt Centric project, forcing Blue Arch to redesign the development to account for a four-foot widening of the alley which divides the two sites.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 4:26 AM

This along with the other proposed apartment complex across the street will be great for the area. The interest and development in DTLA is awesome. I was just in Atlanta for Morehouse’s Homecoming and it’s nothing like what’s going on here in DTLA.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 7:47 AM

Probably wont happen for another 20-30 years but eventually all of the lots will be taken and these projects won't have the space for such colossal footprints. They'll have to be more creative with their pool space and that'll be exciting to see.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 1:58 PM

One of the things I like about Downtown L.A. is that there are a lot of historic gems that have been or are being restored. How many of you are as anxious as me to see the old Warner Building restored to its former glory?

Last edited by delts145; Oct 29, 2022 at 2:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
One of the things I like about Downtown L.A. is that there are a lot of historic gems that have been or are being restored. How many of you are as anxious as me to see the old Warner Building restored to its former glory?

Yes! This building is number 1 on my list that I want restored.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Yes! This building is number 1 on my list that I want restored.
This and the Garfield Building!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 6:23 PM

https://la.urbanize.city/projects

Was just on urbanize and they have a new feature showing new projects and a 3D map so you can get an idea of their height. Pretty cool.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 7:00 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The Foreman And Clark department store and office building was built in 1928. It will soon open 125 apartments and 8500 sq feet ground floor retail. It sits at the corner of 7th and Hill streets.

Glad to see this one finally or almost complete. I imagine the residential will fill up fast. Maybe some jewelry can occupy the retail below. Otherwise I do not know what retail will go in that space.

Anybody know the status of its neighbor building that was converted where the Korean supermarket was going in? I suspect that entire building still sits vacant.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Glad to see this one finally or almost complete. I imagine the residential will fill up fast. Maybe some jewelry can occupy the retail below. Otherwise I do not know what retail will go in that space.

Anybody know the status of its neighbor building that was converted where the Korean supermarket was going in? I suspect that entire building still sits vacant.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s another restaurant…some great restaurants have just opened along that corridor. And they all look to be thriving with customers. Especially the Korean BBQ. And also the steak restaurant has been very busy the last 5 or 6 months.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s another restaurant…some great restaurants have just opened along that corridor. And they all look to be thriving with customers. Especially the Korean BBQ. And also the steak restaurant has been very busy the last 5 or 6 months.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a restaurant and/or bar.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm1995 View Post
https://la.urbanize.city/projects

Was just on urbanize and they have a new feature showing new projects and a 3D map so you can get an idea of their height. Pretty cool.
Brilliant, thanks. Perhaps Doctor Boffin is a part of this or at least inspired it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 5:29 PM

A brief glimpse of the site of the Onni apt tower proj at Hill St & Olympic:

https://youtu.be/B4gLg2jni8E?t=1587

It's a major relief that the land across from Disney Hall is finally no longer a parking lot:

https://youtu.be/B4gLg2jni8E?t=2183

I wish Equity residential of Chicago had at least managed to clear out the NE corner of 4th St & Hill...they had a demolition permit too, but they never used it:

https://youtu.be/B4gLg2jni8E?t=3353

The core of the little Taco house #1 food stand dates back at least over 60 yrs...

https://youtu.be/qvNvyfBs0jU?t=282

The NE corner of broadway & 4th St has been a vacant, burned out wreck since 2007....that's over 14 yrs of the city not doing anything about it. I realize there are legal issues & property rights...but since when has that prevented LA city hall from pushing around its weight? I wish those city officials caught on a hidden recording talking about race & ethnicity were more into issues like the cleanness or attractiveness of the city.

https://youtu.be/B4gLg2jni8E?t=3438

I realize that Barry Shy has a poor reputation, but I still wish he had gotten his apt tower proj at the SW corner of 6th St & Main to be funded & developed:

https://youtu.be/B4gLg2jni8E?t=4145

Vids like this make me feel better about today's dtla....when I was growing up, dt was way too sketchy & in a bigger state of hurt. For a major city, dtla in the past wasn't pulling its fair share of LA's & Socal's weight.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Equity Residential proposes to develop a 33-story mixed-use residential and commercial building at 338-356 South Hill Street and 311-321 West 4th Street in Downtown Los Angeles. The purpose of this report was to determine if the development project would directly or indirectly impact any historical resources. GPA concluded that there are no known or potential historical resources on the project site. The project site is occupied by surface parking lots and a walk-up food stand known at present as Ye Olde Taco House #1.
this was torn down after only 40 yrs....

jalopyjournal.com

this still stands after more than 60 yrs....

yasabe.net

Where's the justice in that?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Someone in a local neighborhood group claims a "source" said Bristol Farms is moving their "Newfound Market" brand in (fast casual food hall + grocery). No idea how credible. There's a couple strange grocery store window decals on the ground floor on 7th but otherwise seems dead still.

My "Oceanwide watch" update:

The shorter crane had some movement last week for couple days, and today there's the sound of workers on the tall tower with the taller crane doing something. There's also a "road closed" warning on 11th street starting today thru the 7th or 8th... no clue what's going on. Maybe construction company reclaiming more materials/equipment like they did a year or so ago with the third crane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations