HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 2:58 AM

Greetings! Greetings!

It has taken me a little over two years, but I finally have read all the posts on Noirish LA. What a delight it has been.

You guys are some of the most passionate posters on any website. What magicians conjuring up the address or locale of even the most obscure photos! I can hardly wait for what come's next this week.

Thanks all! Dan

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVenture View Post
It has taken me a little over two years, but I finally have read all the posts on Noirish LA. What a delight it has been.

You guys are some of the most passionate posters on any website. What magicians conjuring up the address or locale of even the most obscure photos! I can hardly wait for what come's next this week.

Thanks all! Dan
Welcome Dan to NLA. Lots of cool people here and most of them are like living history books.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
In the 1996 book, The Brown Derby Restaurant (Sally Wright Cobb), the recipe for the Cobb salad ingredients also included "1 Bunch Watercress".

The recipe for "Cobb's Old Fashioned French Dressing" varies slightly here and there from the one you posted. (Mostly in amounts.) I put the differences from yours in parentheses.

(1) 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
(1) 1/4 cup water
(1) 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
(juice of one lemon) 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
(1) 1 tsp sugar
(1 tbsp) 1 tsp black pepper
(1 tbsp dry English Mustard) 1 tsp Dijon mustard
(1 tbsp) 3/4 tsp salt
(1) 1 clove garlic (minced)
(1) 1 cup olive oil
(3 cups salad oil) 1 cup canola oil

...for what it's worth.

Lots of food talk lately! Are we all hungry? Or hungry for going to restaurants!
Watercress? Harder to find these days as the farm field must have continuous running water to grow watercress.

Raw watercress has a peppery taste, similar to other related plants like mustard and wasabi. Once cooked the pepperiness of watercress diminishes, leaving a distinctive vegetable flavour which tastes delicious in soups, stews and stir fries. More mature watercress can sometimes taste slightly bitter. Its an acquired taste.....you either like or don't.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I first had a Tommy's with a friend in the 1970s, at about 2 am at their flagship location near Rampart. Boy, was it good and I had never heard of it before.
Fortunately the meat part has stayed fairly good quality since then. Its not the best imo but its acceptable. Yes, the chili is their hallmark.
Hamburger Hamlet, now defunct, save for one, had better but then that was an upscale place.

HH
I wonder why Hamburger Hamlet failed? They had really good burgers. Maybe people associated burgers with a more casual dining experience and fastfood takeout, rather than a sit-down place. I used to go to the HHs in Sherman Oaks and Westwood when I was at UCLA. Is Westwood the surviving one? Junior's deli on Westwood Blvd south of Wilshire was quite good, but a notch below Canter's and Langer's probably.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:37 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 8:32 AM

Panda Express. A guilty pleasure. Popeye's chicken sandwich. Even more guilty pleasure. I'm sure they will triple your cholesterol, but they are good.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I first had a Tommy's with a friend in the 1970s, at about 2 am at their flagship location near Rampart. Boy, was it good and I had never heard of it before.
Fortunately the meat part has stayed fairly good quality since then. Its not the best imo but its acceptable. Yes, the chili is their hallmark.
Hamburger Hamlet, now defunct, save for one, had better but then that was an upscale place.

HH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVenture View Post

Thanks all! Dan
I think a hundred years from now, people will still be reading it. Some of these posts will be immortal.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I wonder why Hamburger Hamlet failed? They had really good burgers. Maybe people associated burgers with a more casual dining experience and fastfood takeout, rather than a sit-down place. I used to go to the HHs in Sherman Oaks and Westwood when I was at UCLA. Is Westwood the surviving one? Junior's deli on Westwood Blvd south of Wilshire was quite good, but a notch below Canter's and Langer's probably.
Cali, you got it right about Junior's! I remember in the late 90's i was coming home from school and decided to check it out, i sat down and it took forever for service, the prices were sky high ( 10 bucks for a corned beef sandwich with no side), and on top of that everything was tasteless. Even the cookies were eh.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
I have to say Tomboys is my go to, i go to both locations at least once a week. The best fries in the South Bay hands down.
Since we're still on cholesterol talk, have you tried the fries at Burger City Grill on Artesia? Also, Five Guys who have a few locations in the South Bay, have to be considered for that honor.

Last edited by Bristolian; Nov 17, 2020 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Since we're still on cholesterol talk, have you tried the fries at Burger City Grill on Artesia? Also, Five Guys who have a few locations in the South Bay, have to be considered for that honor.
Not yet, i will give them a shot. I just tried Rods on Artesia, it was ok...pretty much on par with any of the "Tom's", and also before they closed Louis Burger also on Artesia. It was the best for the value.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 12:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
As for the demise of HH.....LA has a history of when the original owners of a family-owned restaurant pass on, their restaurants have no effective management.

HH was created as an upscale quality burger place for the Hollywood crowd. But does that scene and price work in Pasadena? The Recession era of the 1970s didn't help.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 1:35 AM

Welcome to noirish Los Angeles, DanVenture!

mystery location / somewhere in the Westchester area.

"Original 1950s 35mm Kodachrome Slide - Los Angeles Westchester district BBQ stand."

eBay / found a few weeks ago.

Here's a closer look at the sign.

detail

If we figure out the name we might be able to find the address.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 3:11 AM

Here's one more slide for tonight.

"Antique Magic Lantern Glass Slide Vintage Downtown Los Angeles Street Scene"

eBay

The seller's description leaves out a lot of information. We're looking east on 5th Street towards the old Central Station (demolished).
We get a glimpse of the Hotel Orbis in the distance on the left. The little girl is cute as a button.

I'm not 100% sure of the cross street immediately in front of the photographer but there's a clue. . .

. . .this is written on the right side of the frame.

detail

It looks like it says 5th and. . .Towne?

A closer look at the Hotel Orbis*

detail

Go Here to see an exceptional view of Southern Pacific's Central Station.

More at wikipedia

* oops. It's Hotel Morris......

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 18, 2020 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
mystery location / somewhere in the Westchester area.

"Original 1950s 35mm Kodachrome Slide - Los Angeles Westchester district BBQ stand."

eBay / found a few weeks ago.
It looks like the street sign says La Tijera and Airport (Can't make out the address number on the restaurant.)

Google Street View

This is looking west from the intersection of La Tijera and Airport. The stairs seem to match the ones in the photo, and the house above them is consistent.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:16 AM

Good eye, Mackerm. ..........I was like, "Steps? What steps?"

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:19 AM

Since we are on the subject of food, anybody remember the Chris & Pitts BbQ places? I remember the one in the SF Valley when I was a kid in the 1960s. I think it was in NoHo or maybe Van Nuys. My family used to eat there once or twice a month. Was this a chain? I just remember the one in the Valley. I do recall they used to sell Chris and Pitts BBQ sauce in the markets, so it must have been a chain. I can't remember eating there after about 1975. Was it near Drysdale's Dugout owned by by the Dodger pitching great? We previously discussed Drysdale's Dugout bar & grill on Oxnard St. a few months ago.

We all seem to be hungry. The surviving restaurants and bars are going to boom once this endless pandemic is over. Everybody wear masks & survive until then.

When I was a little kid in NoHo I remember a restaurant called MARTIN'S on Oxnard or maybe Victory, near Vineland maybe? It was painted green. My memories are vague because I was maybe 5 or 6, but I do remember they served a really good hamburger. Does anybody remember Martin's Restaurant? It was probably around in the late 1950s or early 1960s when my family ate there.

Another place in NoHo I remember as a kid in the early '60s is a diner called FLOYD'S on Burbank or Magnolia. Tiny place but good diner food. The halibut steak with fries and cole slaw were great every Friday. There used to be a chatty waitress called Juanita with harlequin glasses and the grill man was Bill. A guy named Floyd owned the place, but he retired and turned it over to Bill. If anyone can find anything on Martin's or Floyd's I'll really be impressed.

Finally, when I was a kid I used to spend summers (1961-64) at a day camp place called the VALLEY SPORTS CLUB just off Cahuenga and Burbank Blvd. in NoHo (both of my parents worked). It was run by Buzz and his wife Corky. Really fun place. Anybody else remember this place from the early 1960s? We used to go on field trips to Griffith Park, Pacific Ocean Park etc. All the kids boarded vans with Disney characters painted on the sides. Donald Duck etc. The Sports Club was coed, with lots of girls. Had a crush on some of them. They had a huge Olympic pool. They also had a wood shop where you could make things, and lots of crafts. Really fun place.

In NoHo I also remember there was this western clothing dude called Nudie who drove a huge car with Texas longhorns on the hood. He ran a famous western clothing store called NUDIE'S. Everybody would honk when they saw Nudie in his big car with the horns on the hood. Another place I remember was a car place run by someone called Barris. I think he made the bat car and Munsters car.

Those were the days. Like I said, if any noirish sleuth can find info or photos of these ancient places from over 50 years ago, that would be very impressive. Anything on the Valley Sports Club especially appreciated.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 18, 2020 at 8:48 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:26 PM

I met Nudie after leaving the Palomino Club (famous western bar in N.Hollywood, next door to Nudies shop) he was taking a leak next to my car and my friends and I thought he was going on the car. He was not however and after confronting him he took us inside and bought us a beer or two. Both places were at their height at that time.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Since we are on the subject of food, anybody remember the Chris & Pitts BbQ places? I remember the one in the SF Valley when I was a kid in the 1960s. I think it was in NoHo or maybe Van Nuys. My family used to eat there once or twice a month. Was this a chain? I just remember the one in the Valley. I do recall they used to sell Chris and Pitts BBQ sauce in the markets, so it must have been a chain. I can't remember eating there after about 1975. Was it near Drysdale's Dugout owned by by the Dodger pitching great? We previously discussed Drysdale's Dugout bar & grill on Oxnard St. a few months ago.

We all seem to be hungry. The surviving restaurants and bars are going to boom once this endless pandemic is over. Everybody wear masks & survive until then.

When I was a little kid in NoHo I remember a restaurant called MARTIN'S on Oxnard or maybe Victory, near Vineland maybe? It was painted green. My memories are vague because I was maybe 5 or 6, but I do remember they served a really good hamburger. Does anybody remember Martin's Restaurant? It was probably around in the late 1950s or early 1960s when my family ate there.

Another place in NoHo I remember as a kid in the early '60s is a diner called FLOYD'S on Burbank or Magnolia. Tiny place but good diner food. The halibut steak with fries and cole slaw were great every Friday. There used to be a chatty waitress called Juanita with harlequin glasses and the grill man was Bill. A guy named Floyd owned the place, but he retired and turned it over to Bill. If anyone can find anything on Martin's or Floyd's I'll really be impressed.

Finally, when I was a kid I used to spend summers (1961-64) at a day camp place called the VALLEY SPORTS CLUB just off Cahuenga and Burbank Blvd. in NoHo (both of my parents worked). It was run by Buzz and his wife Corky. Really fun place. Anybody else remember this place from the early 1960s? We used to go on field trips to Griffith Park, Pacific Ocean Park etc. All the kids boarded vans with Disney characters painted on the sides. Donald Duck etc. The Sports Club was coed, with lots of girls. Had a crush on some of them. They had a huge Olympic pool. They also had a wood shop where you could make things, and lots of crafts. Really fun place.

In NoHo I also remember there was this western clothing dude called Nudie who drove a huge car with Texas longhorns on the hood. He ran a famous western clothing store called NUDIE'S. Everybody would honk when they saw Nudie in his big car with the horns on the hood. Another place I remember was a car place run by someone called Barris. I think he made the bat car and Munsters car.

Those were the days. Like I said, if any noirish sleuth can find info or photos of these ancient places from over 50 years ago, that would be very impressive. Anything on the Valley Sports Club especially appreciated.
Chris and Pitts BBQ (so so food) became Valley Village's Hugo's on Riverside Drive just east of Coldwater--
After getting Nudie a huge sale of his western duds for my company's summer picnic- he squeezed my thigh on the way back to his Van Nuys shop --and offered me a job if I was interested (a coy pass? ) He later joined my department for our XMAS luncheon--- Giant sweetheart he was---

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 8:42 PM

Getty/Ed Ruscha

In 1974 Ruscha toured Melrose Ave., this curious building appeared in the 4800 block....a search revealed the property had been covered comprehensively by 3940dxer back in 2011....

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...le#post5506013

This guy wearing any pants? 

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Since we are on the subject of food, anybody remember the Chris & Pitts BbQ places?
I didn't realize Chris & Pitts was a bigger chain.

The only ones I know of are in Downey and Bellflower... I grew up in Cerritos, and my orthodontist was in Bellflower, and I remember driving by the Chris & Pitts. But I've never eaten at one.

EDIT: Looking it up, now, there's also a Whittier location. So I guess it's now just a SELAC thing (Southeast LA County).

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post
It looks like the street sign says La Tijera and Airport (Can't make out the address number on the restaurant.)

Google Street View

This is looking west from the intersection of La Tijera and Airport. The stairs seem to match the ones in the photo, and the house above them is consistent.
I had my colonoscopy in that building. It's a rectal investigation factory in there!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos