HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 7:55 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Metropolis sounds great, depsite the cheesy name. Hopefully it works wonders.

I can't wait to see a render.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Metropolis sounds great, depsite the cheesy name. Hopefully it works wonders.

I can't wait to see a render.
The render has already been posted and it's quite spectacular.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 8:08 PM

Quote:
To win the crucial support of alderman Dorothy Tillman, Mr. Primo included a fountain in the design at her request and also will put in a technology center, giving area residents free access to computers and the Internet.

Gloria Dickson, who works at an animal shelter, lives across the street from the site and says she looks forward to having a new grocery store, since it currently takes her about 30 minutes to walk to the nearest one. But she worries the changes might bring gentrification. "I just hope that doesn't happen so that rents don't rise so high," she says. "I don't want to get pushed out of this area."
Way the go Dorthy. Require some extra costly ammenities. That won't make the near by rents rise too high at all. And we still wonder why there's an affordable housing shortage in this city. Seems like every project must first add a few million dollar ammenities and than chop off a few floors of units before getting approval.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 8:15 PM

^Yeah, that sounded kind of excessive, especially the fountain (even if it would add to the property's attractiveness for buyers). A free internet center is also a little much to ask for also; computers are not as expensive as they used to be, and many (such as myself) go through their childhood without one. But even if they are a necessity now, most should be able to buy one theirself, just like clothes or a tv.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Roboto View Post
The metropolis project sounds better and better. While gentrification may occur, in many respects this can be a good thing.
If gentrification is replacing what is basically the absence of anything (vacant land), how can it possibly be a bad thing?

And yes the development sounds exciting...but I think they will need much, much more residential density to bring in enough new moderate- to higher-income individuals to support all that retail.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
^Yeah, that sounded kind of excessive, especially the fountain (even if it would add to the property's attractiveness for buyers). A free internet center is also a little much to ask for also; computers are not as expensive as they used to be, and many (such as myself) go through their childhood without one. But even if they are a necessity now, most should be able to buy one theirself, just like clothes or a tv.
Yeah, my blood pressure really spiked when I saw satellite dishes bolted on to the Cabrini-Green highrises. By all means people shouldn't be homeless, but at some point they need to be expected to provide things for their own quality of life...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:09 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
There was a blurb in today's Sun-Times that Paul Harvey may be preparing to make a large contribution (or purchase naming rights) for the Museum of Broadcast Communications. Hopefully enough donations are on the way to get this project the cash infusion it needs to be completed soon!...
^ Great news! I hope it happens

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Yeah, my blood pressure really spiked when I saw satellite dishes bolted on to the Cabrini-Green highrises. By all means people shouldn't be homeless, but at some point they need to be expected to provide things for their own quality of life...
Sort of confused...poor people cannot have tv? Cable or Satellite Dish? $60 for cable means they can afford to live without assistence? Just curious.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Most should? Please show us these "facts".

Note no one complained about the park we had the developer build over there in East Lake. I guess the rich deserve the park and the poor deserve no fountain? Also check into the computers per students in the richer neighborhood schools....and compare to the poorer areas of Chicago. So we have poorer kids with no computers at home or at school...verses richer kids with computers at school, home and probably their own pockets. No one can tell me the richer kids aren't going to have an easier time getting jobs when they grow up.

If the market could not have supported all these extra things...this development would/wouldn't be happening.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Sort of confused...poor people cannot have tv? Cable or Satellite Dish? $60 for cable means they can afford to live without assistence? Just curious.
If they can afford to pay for luxury items like satellite TV, why on earth should I be subsidizing their rent and housing expenses? The rest of us have to make sacrifices and live a lifestyle within our means, why shouldn't they? They should be evicted from subsidized housing immediately if they can afford luxuries like that. Hell, I don't like to pay rent bills either, can the government help me out? I don't really feel like pinching pennies by cutting back on luxury items either.

For the record (and more on topic to this development), I also do think having public computer labs and computer labs in public schools, especially in poorer areas, is a good thing. However, I also question the tactic of forcing a developer to include them in order to approve a development on otherwise completely underutilized land in a depressed area. That's bordering on extortion, it's not like the developer is requiring any sacrifices of the neighborhood or the alderman so it's hardly a trade at all, it's one way.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
If they can afford to pay for luxury items like satellite TV, why on earth should I be subsidizing their rent and housing expenses? The rest of us have to make sacrifices and live a lifestyle within our means, why shouldn't they? They should be evicted from subsidized housing immediately if they can afford luxuries like that. Hell, I don't like to pay rent bills either, can the government help me out? I don't really feel like pinching pennies by cutting back on luxury items either.

For the record (and more on topic to this development), I also do think having public computer labs and computer labs in public schools, especially in poorer areas, is a good thing. However, I also question the tactic of forcing a developer to include them in order to approve a development on otherwise completely underutilized land in a depressed area. That's bordering on extortion, it's not like the developer is requiring any sacrifices of the neighborhood or the alderman so it's hardly a trade at all, it's one way.
And it isn't forcing. If the market cannot support it it will not be built.

I am so pleased with the 20% set asides too!!!!
Wow....

They go in. Go through a lengthy process...prove their income and the city says this is what we will pay and this is what you will pay. After that....they can do the fuck what they want with the money left over.

I am with you that is should only be on a needs bases....as well as a "responsiblility level"....like their new drug and work requirements. But I am not going to pass housing and think I know what is happening in there. Perhaps it is a person who cannot work ever.....guess they should just sit and poop in the toilet...because they didn't work for that cable box.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Most should? Please show us these "facts".

Note no one complained about the park we had the developer build over there in East Lake. I guess the rich deserve the park and the poor deserve no fountain? Also check into the computers per students in the richer neighborhood schools....and compare to the poorer areas of Chicago. So we have poorer kids with no computers at home or at school...verses richer kids with computers at school, home and probably their own pockets. No one can tell me the richer kids aren't going to have an easier time getting jobs when they grow up.

If the market could not have supported all these extra things...this development would/wouldn't be happening.

Dude, who are you telling?! You think I dont know rich kids have better oppurtunities?! Dont read too much into what Im saying.

They are a bit much to ask for is all i said, even though I do see benefits. I would much rather see the computers donated to a school, where they would probably serve more purpose. A fountain anywhere looks cool, but is always an excessive luxury IMO. To force a seemingly well-meaning developer, who already planned to improve the area with real substantial changes (inc. retail, jobs, etc.), to add this stuff seemed a bit pushy, specially concerning this particular alderman.

And yes, $300 is not that much. If you cant afford that, you likely have other concerns than simply getting a computer. The help you would need, should be much more substantial and for more important things.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:51 AM
Registered

Edward Dart Church Endangered

I have just heard through the grapevine that an incredible piece of Chicago Architecture is endangered. This is the Edward Dart-designed church at 1850 S. Racine Avenue in Pilsen, Emmanuel Presbyterian, 1967. It apparently has been sold to a greedy developer who wants to demolish the building.

This is really an amazing design and I am asking anyone who cares about Chicago architecture to please consider writing Alderman Danny Solis e-mail. It's not too late to save the building and come to a good compromise that potentially converts it to residential use or develops only the empty part of the site. Also, please feel free to forward this information.

Thank you!!

Alderman Daniel S. Solis

dsolis@cityofchicago.org

Office: 2439 S. Oakley Blvd
Chicago, IL 60608

Phone: 773-523-4100
Fax: 773- 523-9900

City Hall Office: 121 N. Lasalle St.
Room 203, Office 14
Chicago, IL 60602
City Hall Phone: 312-744-6845
312-742-9482

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:55 AM

News from the suburbs:
Updated renderings have been released for the redevelopment project of a block in downtown Palatine.
This one's going before the Plan Commission next week. If approved, I imagine they'd get started soon.
The early rendering didn't look like it'd be quality materials, but this larger one looks promising.

One of the things I like best is that the "photographer" for this rendering would be standing on the Metra tracks, and the station is half a block to the left, so this is another mixed use TOD.

The parking for the buildings is in the middle of the block, with a green roof forming a courtyard.

And I had to show this one. The old folks in town all freaked out about the last big Palatine development because at a whopping 9 stories it was just way too tall. So the developer, Focus Development, made this to let everyone know this isn't a 'skyscraper'. After all "we're not Arlington Heights or anything".
The old folks live in the 5 story Plum Grove Condos, I guess that's not too tall...

Last edited by aaron38; Mar 30, 2007 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 12:32 PM

Hey...

I remember reading a few weeks ago that the old Morton salt building (the warehouse that you can see off the kennedy) was going to be turned into some kind of market or gallery or something...

Anyone know anything?

I don't think i am confusing this with Nicky Hilton's failed attempt at acting like a real person hotel

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 1:24 PM
you know where I'll be

New Spertus Institute

This is one project that I've kind of lost track of recently (sorry if it was discussed recently and I missed it). I assume it has been topped-off by now...has anyone seen it recently? How is it turning out? I can't wait to see it's impact on the streetwall upon completion...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 1:43 PM
Registered

^ It's beautiful. The curtain looks very sophisticated and not random, a bit to my surprise.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago View Post
Hey...

I remember reading a few weeks ago that the old Morton salt building (the warehouse that you can see off the kennedy) was going to be turned into some kind of market or gallery or something...

Anyone know anything?

I don't think i am confusing this with Nicky Hilton's failed attempt at acting like a real person hotel
Are you perhaps thinking about the Cooper Lamp Factory conversion into live/work space for "green" businesses?

And yeah, too bad that Nicky O's fell through. Printers Row came so close to glory...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:24 PM
Chicagotom SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
This is one project that I've kind of lost track of recently (sorry if it was discussed recently and I missed it). I assume it has been topped-off by now...has anyone seen it recently? How is it turning out? I can't wait to see it's impact on the streetwall upon completion...
This is from I_am_hydrogen over on SSC.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:42 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Excellent. This project is so small, but I think its great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development