HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 3:52 PM

Canada less % multigenerational households than US? Or is it just survey differences?

Both the US and Canada have trends of increasing multigenerational households because of increased cost of living (e.g. housing etc.) plus immigrants from cultures where it's the norm, and overall later age of first job, independence, leaving home etc.

But what struck me is that I saw stats for the US and Canada that showed Canada had less multigenerational living.

https://vanierinstitute.ca/sharing-a...census-update/

Quote:
According to the 2021 Census, there were nearly 442,000 multigenerational households in Canada. These only account for 2.9% of all private households but are now home to 2.4 million people, or 6.4% of the total population.2 Multigenerational households have increased in number by 50% since 2001 – much higher than the overall increase of 30%.

A growing number of children aged 14 and under are living with grandparents. In 2021, 9% of children aged 14 and under (517,000) lived with at least one grandparent, up from 3.3% in 2001. More than 9 in 10 of these children (93%) are living in multigenerational households.

According to the 2017 General Social Survey (GSS) – the most recent Family cycle of the GSS – 5% of grandparents lived in the same household as their grandchildren, up slightly from 4% in 1995.3
https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...%20was%2018%25.

Quote:
In March 2021, there were 59.7 million U.S. residents who lived with multiple generations under one roof, compared with 58.4 million in 2019, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of census data. The share of the U.S. population living in multigenerational households in 2021 was 18%.
That is a bit surprising to me, considering that modern Canada has higher cost of living in terms of housing, is more concentrated in more urban areas, plus has more first-generational immigrants? True, the US has a higher percentage of some racial/ethnic groups that have family oriented norms (e.g. Hispanic/Black) but so does Canada (e.g. with Asian/Indigenous).

And a greater percentage of Canada probably lives in an expensive metro area, right, and there's less of a "go leave your parents to go to college at 18" culture in Canada, right? More Americans probably move out of state or out of their city for work (e.g. it's more common I'm guessing for Americans to have family scattered in different states all over than Canada in different provinces, I'm supposing. Maybe I'm wrong?).

A difference of a bit over 6% vs. 18% is kind of big.

What's the explanation for this? Does it reflect the real situation on the ground or data/survey/definition differences?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions