HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 9:40 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Harry is a good guy, but my guess is that this is a done deal. As awful as it is.
Sadly. The neighborhood residents seem satisfied, although some of them wanted a green space.

https://www.facebook.com/Lakewood.Balmoral

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Harry is a good guy, but my guess is that this is a done deal. As awful as it is.
FWIW Osterman (or a staff member) was nice enough to get back to me within an hour or two (excerpt below) and I encourage others with concerns to send him a quick message.

"Thank you for reaching out. I have only seen initial site designs from the developer and have pushed them on delivering a dense, pedestrian-friendly development that helps bring Broadway to a new level. These conversations are ongoing and soon I will know how they plan to move forward." (redacted)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 10:02 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Sadly. The neighborhood residents seem satisfied, although some of them wanted a green space.

https://www.facebook.com/Lakewood.Balmoral
Wow, I just roll my eyes reading those comments. Can't believe that anybody in their right mind can argue that 5 stories is too dense for that site. What a bunch of uninformed old hipsters..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 10:06 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wow, I just roll my eyes reading those comments. Can't believe that anybody in their right mind can argue that 5 stories is too dense for that site. What a bunch of uninformed old hipsters hippies..
Fixed that for you. Lakewood Balmoral is full of the Subaru-driving types.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 10:14 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Fixed that for you. Lakewood Balmoral is full of the Subaru-driving types.
They kind of remind me of the NIMBY's in Hyde Park. Luckily they (Hyde Parkers) are slowly being drowned out by more rational, pro-development, pro-density voices in that neighborhood who understand that you either grow or die...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 10:15 PM

NIMBYs are selfish by nature but you would think it's possible to find some common ground with hippy/hipster types when it comes to TOD/walkability and environmental issues. Even if this ends up a single story low rent retail development, hopefully we can avoid a parking lot along Broadway.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 12:24 PM

^ Hopefully that'll be more than just lip service from the alderman.

============

The Walgreens on Armitage & Dayton is ... not moving any faster than the one at Diversey & Clark. It looks like little more than an abandoned hole in the ground. There may have been foundation work completed, but that's about all.

============

Everyone, I hope we can still continue discussions in this thread tomorrow -- is SSP capable of threads reaching Page 1000 and beyond?

If not, I hope everybody parties today like it's 999.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:10 PM

The Edgewater development is not a done deal unless they've already gotten permits approved. We should all lobby the alderman to threaten to downzone the plot to RT-5 if they try to build a strip mall. That would basically force them to build residential 4 flats instead of allowing commercial development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
NIMBYs are selfish by nature but you would think it's possible to find some common ground with hippy/hipster types when it comes to TOD/walkability and environmental issues. Even if this ends up a single story low rent retail development, hopefully we can avoid a parking lot along Broadway.
I don't know why the term "hipster" is getting dragged into the NIMBY conversation. Hipsters are generally very pro-urbanism and not prone to complaining about the trials of city living. Remember, the millenials are the ones moving back into the city in droves because they want the grungy, artsy, lively experience.

If you want to see what it looks like when "Hipsters" are involved in the planning process, then just look at the tower of Pizza Hut where they demanded a tower instead of a drive thru bank. Hipsters don't generally live in Edgewater, but a shit load of them live in Wicker Park.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:21 PM

Why would hippies be against an 5 story building? I thoght they would be for green developement? Wasn't there that song about paving paradise and putting up a parking lot? A strip mall would be the proverbial parking lot that they used to hate so much.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The Edgewater development is not a done deal unless they've already gotten permits approved. We should all lobby the alderman to threaten to downzone the plot to RT-5 if they try to build a strip mall. That would basically force them to build residential 4 flats instead of allowing commercial development.

I don't know why the term "hipster" is getting dragged into the NIMBY conversation. Hipsters are generally very pro-urbanism and not prone to complaining about the trials of city living. Remember, the millenials are the ones moving back into the city in droves because they want the grungy, artsy, lively experience.

If you want to see what it looks like when "Hipsters" are involved in the planning process, then just look at the tower of Pizza Hut where they demanded a tower instead of a drive thru bank. Hipsters don't generally live in Edgewater, but a shit load of them live in Wicker Park.
I hope you're right on the first part.

While I agree that it isn't "hipsters" that oppose the 5 story development, there actually are a good amount of them who live in the area.

Those opposed are wealthy homeowners in Lakewood Balmoral. I don't understand why they are opposed though. I do get a laugh out people who think this should be a park.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Why would hippies be against an 5 story building? I thoght they would be for green developement? Wasn't there that song about paving paradise and putting up a parking lot? A strip mall would be the proverbial parking lot that they used to hate so much.
I wasn't there, but they could have built a 5 story building on that site, as of right. My guess it wasn't a big enough five story building and the developer wanted larger condos to maximize his profits. Even then I don't think that is what stopped it. It was more than likely the $7,500,000 mortgage.

The reason people build strip malls is that they get the maximum sqft rent for the minimum sqft building cost.

If this guy gets $20/sqft NNN, the project will have paid for itself in 7-8 years including the land cost. After that it is a money pump.
If he adds rental residential on it, it'll take 15 years to pay off just the additional construction cost.

Back when mortgages flowed like water, you could add on condos using the banks money, and get out of them in a couple years. But those days are gone.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 4:12 PM

In some other more positive news, it looks as if the site of the former Robert Taylor Homes is adding 71 apartment units. This is part of Legends South and near the 47th-Green stop.

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...-71-apartments

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 5:25 PM
TL;DR

^ Yeah, good news. This new phase is scattered-site infill housing between Prairie and Wabash, not a ground-up neighborhood on the Taylor site.

It looks good, although only the orange and red buildings are actually new construction in this rendering. There are 14 total new buildings, all similar to these.

Quote:
4700 and 4800 blocks of S. Calumet Avenue, 4328 S. Prairie Avenue,
4312, 4325 and 4335 S. Michigan Avenue, and 109 and 119 E. 43rd Street
(rendering shows 4300 block of Michigan)

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 8:44 PM

Just to add to the chorus of folks against the building of strip malls on Broadway. I live at Carmen and Broadway and walk past this lot at least twice a week. I think it would be nice if they went tall and slender (maybe in the 12 to 16 story range) being that it is so close to the Berwyn stop. Ground floor retail right up to the side walk and keep the old building on the corner of Foster and Broadway. That old building is a great brick building. The neighborhood could really use more momentum in this direction.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post
Just to add to the chorus of folks against the building of strip malls on Broadway. I live at Carmen and Broadway and walk past this lot at least twice a week. I think it would be nice if they went tall and slender (maybe in the 12 to 16 story range) being that it is so close to the Berwyn stop. Ground floor retail right up to the side walk and keep the old building on the corner of Foster and Broadway. That old building is a great brick building. The neighborhood could really use more momentum in this direction.
I believe the corner apartment building is not part of the strip mall. Thanks goodness.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:35 PM

Alderman Osterman just sent out an email newsletter regarding the funeral home redevelopment, along with updates on other Broadway developments.

Quote:
The Piser funeral home site was sold last month to Chody Real Estate who has been working to purchase this site for over a year. I have worked closely with the Chody team on marketing this site to Trader Joe's, knowing it is highly desired by the community and that this site would serve the store well. Trader Joe's seriously considered the site but ultimately took a pass. We have remained in communication with their broker and as of just a few weeks ago, asked them to take another look. I have been told that at the current time, they are not interested in locating on Broadway. In light of this news, I have been working with the new owner on a site plan with tenants who serve the consumer needs of our community and meet the rising quality of businesses on Broadway. Once Chody RE has a site plan with interested tenants, I will ask them to meet and work with the residents of the 5200 block of N. Magnolia and the Lakewood Balmoral Residents Council. In my initial meetings with Chody RE, I have strongly advocated for a pedestrian-friendly design and quality tenants.
Read the rest of the newsletter.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:37 PM

Osterman has done a nice job keeping people in the loop and I get the impression he doesn't want the lot to end up as another strip mall. But Chody is such a crap developer and I wonder if there is much he can do at this point.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:47 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolk View Post
Alderman Osterman just sent out an email newsletter regarding the funeral home redevelopment, along with updates on other Broadway developments.

Read the rest of the newsletter.
If you scroll down that site it seems as if the Alderman has pushed for "parking not to be along the street" in a couple of other developments. So it seems like that is an issue of interest for him, so I'm holding out hope.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:55 PM

There has to be something Osterman can do. He's the Alderman for crying out loud. We always hear/talk about how they are the end all and say all for their respective wards. Unless the Mayor really wanted this strip mall I don't see why he couldn't press this into mixed use development.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:59 PM
North Beach Style

Latest on the Out Hotel in Lakeview from the Patch:

http://lakeview.patch.com/groups/boy...s-for-approval

I'm starting to like the cantilever design...
I've seen God bow and make the clouds shake
I've seen the proud break
I've seen alot for a blind soldier
Who tattooed the cityscape upon skin just to blend in...
-aesop rock

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development