HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 2:49 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
"Pibuddy" "PI-b'di" for the fast-talking North Shore Italians. The North Shore is full of town names pronounced nothing like their spelling says they should. Billerica is "BRICK-ah", Haverhill is "HAY-vrul", Beverly is "BEV-eh-li", Woburn is "WOO-ben".

Mass is a special place. Knowing your fondness for Asheville, you might want to check out Western Mass next time you have the chance. Williamstown, North Adams, Northampton. The Berkshires and the Blue Ridge Mountains have a lot in common (beyond being part of the same wider range).

Also, if you haven't done it before - don't sleep on Rhode Island and Bristol County, Mass. Especially if you like Lovecraft or anything Gilded Age. You can do a New Bedford - Providence - Newport run (you can skip over Fall River).
I was taught "Peeb'dy" and "Bill-RICKA" but you got the rest right. And don't even get me started on the ridiculousness in pronouncing "Quincy" differently, depending on whether it's the town or the market. Massholes!

I second your recommendations, especially the Berkshires. I probably remember it as magical because I was a kid, but still, there's nothing quite like a warm moonlit night in rural MA. And catch the moonrise over the ocean from the Cape if you can.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 9:22 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Also, if you haven't done it before - don't sleep on Rhode Island and Bristol County, Mass. Especially if you like Lovecraft or anything Gilded Age. You can do a New Bedford - Providence - Newport run (you can skip over Fall River).
And miss the Lizzie Borden House Bed and Breakfast (Really!)? Not bloody likely.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 9:22 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I was taught "Peeb'dy" and "Bill-RICKA" but you got the rest right. And don't even get me started on the ridiculousness in pronouncing "Quincy" differently, depending on whether it's the town or the market. Massholes!
Explain. I must know.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Explain. I must know.
The city is pronounced “KWIN-zee”, the market is “KWIN-see.”

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 9:28 AM

Quote:
And miss the Lizzie Borden House Bed and Breakfast (Really!)? Not bloody likely.
40 whacks is a lot of whacks to pass up…

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 10:43 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
The city is pronounced “KWIN-zee”, the market is “KWIN-see.”
Is this one of those situations like in Japanese, where even the most minute change to one vowel in a phrase changes the meaning from "What time is it?" to "You've licked a dog's vagina."? Or could you get by interchangeably using your s's and z's without everyone giving you that look?

Quote:
40 whacks is a lot of whacks to pass up…
Probably the most whacks per buck that you're apt to find, and I simply can't resist a good deal.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 9:35 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Is this one of those situations like in Japanese, where even the most minute change to one vowel in a phrase changes the meaning from "What time is it?" to "You've licked a dog's vagina."? Or could you get by interchangeably using your s's and z's without everyone giving you that look?
You'd get that look from my Nana if you pulled that crap in her presence. Don't do it!

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 1:53 PM

Quote:
We rode the commuter rail from North Station on upward, and it is worth noting that after it takes you to Salem, the train continues on and enters Beverly.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 4:06 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ ohh, is promoted everwhere around there!

ie., :

GISELEZEEBUB

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 2:58 AM

Thank you for all the Peabody Essex photos, I can't believe I did not go past the foyer when I visited!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos