HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 1:32 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
My Greenville (/ˈɡriːnvɪl/; locally /ˈɡriːnvəl/)

Not a parody, but more of an homage to sopas ej's fantastic My Los Ángeles thread, perhaps it is time to just collect all the photos I take in one place rather than keep generating individual threads. As in sopas ej's thread, expect more pictures of food.

I ended up taking quite a few photos this past weekend, in part because while I disdain New Year's resolutions, my husband went on a tear and said we need to do more this year that involved leaving the house. We ended up going downtown for dinner on Friday night, went out to explore a suburb we hadn't yet visited on Saturday before taking a walk around a toxic swamp, and I even managed to get a couple of photos of my dinner on Sunday.

I only have the photos from Friday night uploaded so far, so give me time to get the rest, and I'll have updates. Meanwhile, this was how things looked via my phone's camera on the night of...

Friday, January 20th, 2023

Greenville, SC: Disco Concerto

We found a nice houseplant shop on the way to the restaurant.

The restaurant is called Smoke on the Water and their macaroni and cheese is lifechanging. Their sauces are also fantastic, to the point that while I wanted the smoked salmon cakes, I was seduced by the possibility of slopping sauce on shredded meat and changed my order so I could.

I love this light fixture at the Peace Center for the Performing Arts. It rotates.

Greenville's famed drooling warthog fountain, a copy of one in Italy and given to Greenville by Bergamo, its Italian sister city. Tourists' constant fondling of the warthog's snout has worn it smooth.

Stay tuned for charming small town Americana and a toxic swamp... whenever I can spare the time to upload them, since I took them with a real camera instead of my phone!
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 3:19 PM
Me?!?

Very nice! And I am looking forward to the toxic swamp.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 12:30 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

I love Greenville's downtown waterfalls and hope to see more of them in future postings!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 1:12 AM

Nice photos! Looking forward to more!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 4:37 AM
Great White Norf

Like me some Greenville!

Always appreciate your photo tours, HHNC

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 11:10 AM
A gruff individual.

Thanks for taking a look, guys. I still haven't had time to go through the other photos (the gutter people were out last night to give a quote and that took an hour), but here's a preview of what we were getting up to on Saturday morning...

If you ever find yourself here, try the "Weasley," a ginger and lavender latte. It was quite the taste sensation.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 8:13 PM
A gruff individual.

Saturday, January 21st, 2023

Fountain Inn, SC: One-legged man at an ass-kicking contest

Greenville has a bevy of suburbs, some of which were established, independent towns long before Greenville began to boom and engulfed them. Of them, Greer has the largest downtown area, followed by Fountain Inn, Travelers Rest, and Simpsonville. Then you have Mauldin, which never really had a downtown area at all, plus a few others like Taylors that mainly existed only to serve the nearest mill, whose names live on as Greenville neighborhoods.

You'll note that two of these suburbs, Travelers Rest and Fountain Inn, have names that are quite poetic. And Fountain Inn, where we spent Saturday morning, actually is named after an inn that served stagecoach travelers, which had a fountain in front that was fed by a spring. A historical marker on the north side of town tells the story. Something else to note is that Greenville County is enormous, and some of these towns grew and thrived simply because it was too much of a burden to travel all day just to go to Greenville. When your needs could be served better by only traveling a couple of hours to someplace like Greer, Travelers Rest or Fountain Inn, you did so.

At any rate, here's Fountain Inn.

Video Link

I love ghost signs.

Did I mention I love ghost signs?

Your guess is as good as mine.

This man was quite literally the proverbial one-legged man at an ass-kicking contest -- and he won. He was a tap dancer, and performed all over the country.

No idea, but it's my understanding he's responsible for the monument to Eve.

Fountain Inn's train station has been repurposed as the Chamber of Commerce, and also hosts the farmer's market.

Fountain Inn, with its cohesive center, also boasts several blocks of pretty historic houses.

This house is for sale. And what's more, it's absolutely lovely.

The old Fountain Inn High School, now a performing arts center and private elementary school.

The Fountain Inn branch of the Greenville County Library System is next door.

And then it was off to lunch and a toxic swamp!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 10:21 PM

"tacos & bla bla bla" - lol. nice photos. i need to take a weekend trip up there, looks like a fun place to explore.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:16 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Nice tour of (1) modern abstraction & art (2) traditional Americana.
What's a silent disco?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 5:24 AM

I was wondering what a "silent disco" is too.

And I too love ghost signs!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 7:12 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I was wondering what a "silent disco" is too.

And I too love ghost signs!
I think it's where everyone is wearing head phones playing the same music. Not sure I really understand why it's a thing, but here we are.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 12:07 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I think it's where everyone is wearing head phones playing the same music. Not sure I really understand why it's a thing, but here we are.
This. Everyone gets a pair of glowing headphones and they rock out silently without the music echoing off all the nearby buildings.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
This. Everyone gets a pair of glowing headphones and they rock out silently without the music echoing off all the nearby buildings.
Makes sense, if no one wants to cause a ruckus.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 5:06 PM
Registered Ugly

Nice town, thanks.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 5:52 PM
i ain't no bubba

Enjoyed the tour, thank you!
I admit, I've contributed to the warthog's shine...it's quite irresistible.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 9:26 PM
A gruff individual.

Saturday, January 21st, 2023

Greenville, SC: Nature is healing

Greenville's claim to fame is the Reedy River, an unremarkable little ditch of a waterway except for the way it tumbles dramatically down a sixty-foot waterfall in the heart of downtown. This makes Greenville one of the very few urban areas of any size in the world to boast such a natural amenity in its central business district.

Greenville is also an industrial city, and while it's now a hub for international business, boasting companies from Germany, France, Korea, and Japan with operations in the area, the city used to be known as the textile capital of the world. It was famous for its cloth, and to make cloth you need textile mills. To color cloth you need dyeing operations, and to keep it white you need bleacheries. And so Greenville had them all, and all of them generated a terrifying amount of sludge... That they all dumped directly into the Reedy River. Now, down at the south end of town was the Conestee (KONN-uh-stee) Mill, which powered itself via a hydroelectric dam across the Reedy, which created Lake Conestee. Over the years sedimentation, including decades of industrial sludge, has built up behind that dam, and the lake itself has shrunk dramatically to a small lake and a series of wetlands that are today preserved in a nature park.

This was mainly because it would cost many tens of millions of dollars to try to clean up the sludge. The better plan, it was decided, was to leave the sludge and shrinking lake alone, preserve it in a natural state, and let nature heal itself. There's good news and bad news in that approach. The good news is that nature is indeed healing itself. The wetlands at Lake Conestee Nature Preserve are home to a bevy of wildlife including migratory birds, beavers, deer, songbirds, and insects. The latter is not especially impressive though, as the rest of the city is also home to roaches big enough to star in a 1960's B-movie, and clouds of mosquitoes that are individually big enough enough to menace commercial aviation, to say nothing of when they get in a swarm. Also, on a personal note, my yard has a terrible problem with an invasive species of worm that produces a neurotoxic slime and are therefore dangerous to handle.

At any rate though, yes. Nature is healing. On the other hand, the sludge behind the dam at Lake Conestee is extremely toxic, full of heavy metals and carcinogens. If the dam ever fails it will pollute the river all the way to Lake Greenwood, two counties away, and will threaten the water supply for the city of Greenwood. Some analyses have said that a failure of the dam at Lake Conestee would be the worst environmental disaster in Upstate South Carolina since the Colonial Pipeline spilled more than a million gallons of diesel fuel into the Reedy River in 1996. And when it comes to the failure of the Conestee dam, it's worth noting that it was built in 1892 and was designed to last about fifty years. It is now over 130 years old.

It's probably nothing. Forget I brought it up. In the meantime, Lake Conestee Nature Preserve is a wonderful place to get back to nature.

Video Link

One thing I can't get over is that while Greenville is less than fifty miles away from where I lived in Asheville, that thousand-foot drop in elevation still means that things you could never grow outside there will grow here. Another thing is that even though Greenville gets hotter than Asheville, it still gets cold. Sometimes very cold, such as when nighttime temperatures dropped to 7F this past Christmas. Nevertheless, palmettos, and some palms, grow in Greenville. By the time it's ungodly hot again, in June, these trees will be good as new.

Remember, it's not a parody of sopas ej's thread. It's an homage. He lives in a glamorous alpha world city and eats at glamorous alpha world city restaurants. I live in an up-and-coming Southern boomtown with just enough international diversity to ensure you hear at least three different languages any time you're out in public, and which markets itself as a smaller version of Atlanta and Charlotte, without the insane traffic. As such, I eat at Subway.

(Beaver) dam it, dam it, dam it!

And again, dam it, dam it, dam it!

This? That's mistletoe. It was growing in a tree in the parking lot at Conestee Park, which adjoins the nature preserve.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 9:31 PM
A gruff individual.

And now, just for fun, here's dinner on...

Sunday, January 22nd, 2023

Kimchi

I forget what this was called, but it had shrimp, scallops, and chicken in a brown sauce. Quite tasty.

And here is where we ate said dinner, getting in before the supper rush. That's one of the only good things about having to eat supper around 4PM, since I have to go to bed early and get up so early for work.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post

I can't think of any public parks I have seen with swing benches before, unless I did not notice them.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 3:21 AM

Great pics. Lake Conestee is very interesting; I like that you gave the background about it. I'm sure it looks a lot different in the summertime.

And hehe, whether you wanted to do a parody of or an homage to my LA thread, either way, I feel flattered!

Looking forward to more pics!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 3:03 PM
Me?!?

Loving the pics and the commentary! Does the toxic swamp smell badly, particularly in the summer?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos