HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Like I said before. I'm not down for giving up river front property at all. Developing the park along Main would be fine. Stay away from the rivers edge. Those are the best park spaces the City can get.
Yes but it's also very valuable for development. That means more potential for density and tax revenue. There are ways to still have public access to the river (like a river walk and public patios) but still have e.g. apartment complexes near as well. It could be a compromise of some of the riverfront land being integrated into the existing park and the other part being developed. I've seen plenty of examples in cities where people are brought to the town river by living there, having amenities on the water, and also having open park/greenspace there as well. There's more than enough land for all these things.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Like I said before. I'm not down for giving up river front property at all. Developing the park along Main would be fine. Stay away from the rivers edge. Those are the best park spaces the City can get.
Totally agree. The riverfront access has been badly mismanaged over the years. We don’t need to start building subdivisions in existing riverfront green space.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 4:39 AM

Can the city not just expropriate the bridge for fair market value? Which I can’t imagine being very high lol.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:00 PM

Speaking about selling golf courses - I believe Rossmere Golf Course is a really good candidate. It would be great to convert it as it will allow to connect Watt street with Rothesay street. One half can be converted to a park space and the second one is used for a mixed use development with some shopping component as this area of the city suffers from lack of both - green spaces and shopping.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-kz View Post
Speaking about selling golf courses - I believe Rossmere Golf Course is a really good candidate. It would be great to convert it as it will allow to connect Watt street with Rothesay street. One half can be converted to a park space and the second one is used for a mixed use development with some shopping component as this area of the city suffers from lack of both - green spaces and shopping.
I definitely agree this is a great candidate, although I somewhat disagree about the lack of greenspace and shopping in the area. With Watt and Rothesay connected, there would be easier access to the shopping at Rothesay and Kingsford/Edison as well as that at Watt and Kimberley, and let's not forget this neighbourhood is a stone's throw from all the commercial on Henderson. As someone who grew up on Rossmere's doorstep, I never really thought of access to shopping as being an issue (more convenient than most neighbourhoods, if anything) as well as greenspace.

With that said though, there's Anderson park at the east end of this property and I'd be all for using some of the course land (esp. the treed areas) to incorporate into this park, and some more retail wouldn't hurt. For me personally, I think the biggest opportunity lays in the ability to just integrate the neighbourhoods north and south of the course nearly seamlessly to achieve more residential.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 1:40 PM
What could go wrong?

Rossmere is a private course though. Unless they are struggling financially (which I don't believe they are) I don't see them as a candidate for conversion.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:26 PM

I think Tuxedo golf course would be a good one to develop. It's not on the river, there is no shortage of other greenspace nearby and it would have astronomical lot prices. However, there would be significant opposition.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I think Tuxedo golf course would be a good one to develop. It's not on the river, there is no shortage of other greenspace nearby and it would have astronomical lot prices. However, there would be significant opposition.
Yeah, that is one course where there would be a pretty strong economic argument for redevelopment. I wonder if they might do a Southwood, i.e. sell the land and use the proceeds to buy a bigger and much cheaper parcel a few miles south?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:53 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ Southwood??? They just moved south to St Norbert a few years ago...you know, the UofM redevelopment plan.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ Southwood??? They just moved south to St Norbert a few years ago...you know, the UofM redevelopment plan.
Yeah, that's what I meant... Southwood sold the land and built a bigger course in St. Norbert. I could see Tuxedo following that model as their course probably has the highest per acre value of any golf course in Winnipeg. If they sold to a developer, that land nestled between Assinboine Park, Assiniboine Forest and Tuxedo would be absolutely red hot for residential development.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 3:10 PM
What could go wrong?

...Ahhh, I missed that "I wonder if they might do a Southwood".

I read it as "I wonder if they might do Southwood"

Your post was all good, it is my reading ability that is subject.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 3:13 PM

Speaking of Southwood, what was the story there? I wonder why they moved? I never played there, but I always heard it was a great course (Stanley Thompson design, which is a pretty impressive distinction for a Canadian golf course), and it's not like the U of M was bursting at the seams and absolutely needed to buy the land from them.

Tuxedo is a place where I could easily imagine them getting an offer they can't refuse from a developer, but I wouldn't have expected that to be the case at Southwood. So why did they end up moving?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 3:46 PM

Nah leave Rossmere alone. Jeez you guys and my golf courses haha

The new Southwood is just out in an open field and not that great IMO. Wonder why they moved is right.

It is still okay to have golf courses in the City. Just because there's land, doesn't mean it NEEDS to be developed. If the market conditions were right, maybe someone would offer to buy it. As mentioned with Tuxedo.

If the City doesn't want to be in the golf course business, than okay I guess. Cut down the number of courses and the ones left will do better. How many courses does the City actually own? Not that many and they're kind of spread out Edit: Looks like a grand total of 4.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Nah leave Rossmere alone. Jeez you guys and my golf courses haha

The new Southwood is just out in an open field and not that great IMO. Wonder why thy moved is right.
I'm not a big fan of super wide open golf courses that feel like they're in the middle of nowhere. I played Old Drover's Run in Niverville last week and except for hole 2 you're basically in the bald open prairie which kind of sucks. Unfortunately most courses built in the last 20 years feel that way.

I've never played either Southwood but considering how nice the old course looks with all the big trees, it's hard to imagine their new one isn't a significant downgrade?!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 4:24 PM

I believe Tuxedo is on leased city land.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 4:43 PM

You know when all the RT lines lands are full, and all the wastelands of parking are full, and all the city works yards scattered around the city are full. Then start talking about SOME courses. Until then use that imagination to fix the eyesores rather then take down beautiful parklands.

You might also want to understand some European designs for city's and it's Greenspace to the max, it not only helps with the happiness of the community. It cleans the air, adds a wildlife component which H2 here doesn't seem to understand at all, as back in the 80's the province and city had to make sure wildlife corridors are left alone. . They city also back then was buying up riverfront as the idea was to not allow more riverfront development.

We've destroyed so much of what was here with all the rivers and creeks covered over with roads and buildings. There was also an amazing artical about how Winnipeg missed the boat on that as it could have been a Venice of the Prairie.

Like I said. When you want density. Keep eating away at these parking lots. And even to a lesser degree, shopping mall lots can have parking and residential. The wasteland at St vital centre and being probably the most treed shopping mall in the city has lots of space they can have raised towers that allows parking under them .

Also I have no idea why this city hasn't jumped on the rooftops like other city's have with greenspace. Imagine looking at downtown from above that's green.

But hey, maybe put some homes on those wasteland roofs right. Nice and flat, all utilities, some must be prime real estate.......sarcasm intended.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
You know when all the RT lines lands are full, and all the wastelands of parking are full, and all the city works yards scattered around the city are full. Then start talking about SOME courses. Until then use that imagination to fix the eyesores rather then take down beautiful parklands.

You might also want to understand some European designs for city's and it's Greenspace to the max, it not only helps with the happiness of the community. It cleans the air, adds a wildlife component which H2 here doesn't seem to understand at all, as back in the 80's the province and city had to make sure wildlife corridors are left alone. . They city also back then was buying up riverfront as the idea was to not allow more riverfront development.

We've destroyed so much of what was here with all the rivers and creeks covered over with roads and buildings. There was also an amazing artical about how Winnipeg missed the boat on that as it could have been a Venice of the Prairie.

Like I said. When you want density. Keep eating away at these parking lots. And even to a lesser degree, shopping mall lots can have parking and residential. The wasteland at St vital centre and being probably the most treed shopping mall in the city has lots of space they can have raised towers that allows parking under them .

Also I have no idea why this city hasn't jumped on the rooftops like other city's have with greenspace. Imagine looking at downtown from above that's green.

But hey, maybe put some homes on those wasteland roofs right. Nice and flat, all utilities, some must be prime real estate.......sarcasm intended.
This post might hold water if I was advocating for removal of all parks. Golf courses are only greenspace for golfers. We should have greenspaces for all to enjoy as part of the plan but at the end of the day it's a city where people live. Nowhere am I saying that all golf courses should be dissolved and built up tomorrow nor should it be prioritized over something like available lots.

What I do see are new subdivisions being built further and further away from city centre. If you want to protect all existing golf courses claiming it's necessary public greenspace, you'll just get more folks moving further and further away from the city, sprawling it out further, or worse yet moving outside the perimeter and not paying property taxes but using amenities. All of this coming at the expense of existing untouched land.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:03 PM

I would also like to add that golf courses make terrible pedestrian environments along the edges. Are that many people trying to sneak in that they need 10' chain link all the way around? I went for a run a week ago and ended up going down Archibald from Marion to Fermor, and that west side is not a nice environment for pedestrians. The other side with the apartments and gravel shoulder is much more comfortable. I like golfing, but golf courses do not integrate into cities well. From a pedestrian perspective they are equivalent to rail yards.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 8:49 PM

Quote:
I would also like to add that golf courses make terrible pedestrian environments along the edges. Are that many people trying to sneak in that they need 10' chain link all the way around? I went for a run a week ago and ended up going down Archibald from Marion to Fermor, and that west side is not a nice environment for pedestrians. The other side with the apartments and gravel shoulder is much more comfortable. I like golfing, but golf courses do not integrate into cities well. From a pedestrian perspective they are equivalent to rail yards.
Agree to disagree with you there - I bike around Tuxedo golf course frequently and your comparison is egregiously exaggerated. It's full of grass and trees, it smells good, it's quiet... I find it very nice to bike/walk/run next to. A rail yard on the other hand is pollutive, smells like diesel and sadness, looks like rusty, forgotten infrastructure, so on so forth.

Golf courses are definitely a luxury good that provides insignificant utility to those who don't like to golf or cannot afford to golf, but acting like a golf course are somehow detracting from a pedestrian perspective... I find that bit silly.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I have no desire to golf. You seem to KEEP missing the point. The courses we have are what remains of a vast forest that used to be along all the rivers. Which was mowed down for subdivisions. These places do not just hold golfers. They are greenspace period. Green space doesn't need to be a park. It can also be simply a forest. Most of these courses are full of 150-200 year old Oaks that you only find on river side Forests. Sorry I actually am a certified Arborist and know what these forests give to the environment and city.

Aside from that you still won't tell me your plan for the thousands of wasteland parking lots. You never seem to want to make the areas that need to become dense, actually dense. To be honest you see dollar signs. You sound like a developer.

And here we are in a city that loses 5000-10000 public elms per year. That doesn't include private land ones. We now have the Emerald ash borer which will make anything built after 1970 a wasteland as Ash was the go to tree. And Ash Borers don't just kill a tree here and there.they will kill entire neighborhoods in a season. And we are supposed to be planting trees to save this world and here's you JUST looking at the $$$$$$$.

So again.

Downtown Parking lots are where you want it to be dense. No one will get too excited to be stuck in an old golf course surrounded by old neighborhoods. When they can still go to brand new ones. Trust me I work in all the bedroom communities. And it isn't taxes that make them leave as once was. It's that they have a better surrounding area for their kids to grow up. They pay huge taxes as well. LaSalle where I work daily in . Which is booming right now. Most of the homes the same size of your city's new developments have the same tax bill. I myself live 150 feet from the Red by the Canoe club, I know first hand the city's selling off this course a little at a time to make some money. And all were FAILURES. And this course actually makes money. But the wildlife as you can freely hike along the River is amazing. Also note the golf courses do not own to waters edge. They own 20 to 30 meters back. The rest is public. Hence why I can almost hike the river from my house to St vital park. Fill that with homes and you lose the wildlife and that feature as it will be people's back yards.

But enough of that.

Downtown lots. What's your plan?
Canada Packers / Swift lands , what's your plan?
Rapid transit line with empty land all along it, and even phase one still is only about 5% devoped. This was supposed to be prime land for development. And nothing. Yet you think ripping up golf courses is a good idea,......

I however do like the one idea of KP and KPs little golf course having the front say 400-500 feet all residential 5-8 story buildings. Hopefully with cru's on the main floor. And then the rest of the course becoming part of the park. That idea would preserve the park and it will make it bigger as it's an over used park. And done correctly the money can and should be thrown into a trust for parks and we wouldn't have an issue maintaining them.

This city hall has had so many get rich quick schemes that have failed.

Either way.we want the downtown to be dense. Or along the RT lines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan