HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 7:13 PM

I took my son in early April, and I have to say the skinny supertalls at Billionaire's Row broke my brain. Seeing them materialize out of the haze while driving in is something I will never forget.

My city of Boston's 2 tallest buildings used to at least be competitive. For most of my life the Hancock would have come in around 12-16 in NYC, but to a flat roof vs many crowns and spires. Now the Hancock is basically around 50th place and it all changed in the last 10 years!

My son viewing the skyline in the distance from Eagle Rock NJ.

IMG_0146 by David Z, on Flickr

Hudson Yards.

IMG_0202 by David Z, on Flickr

A super skinny 950' across from a cantilevering skinny 1550', insane, not the NYC I have known from the 1980's through about 2015.

IMG_0241 by David Z, on Flickr

Last edited by DZH22; May 28, 2023 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 10:50 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i don’t get public smoking myself - just means its low end weed i guess…i couldnt find my way out of a paper bag after the good stuff..
Yeah I always wondered that too. I figured they must have built up an incredible tolerance to it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 11:13 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

First time back in NYC in 10 years. The last time I was here was literally June 2013.

First impression: It is noticeably more diverse than LA.

Second impression: Transit infrastructure is kind of dowdy. The whole paying an exit fee for the AirTrain is ridiculous. But seeing a 12-track station (Jamaica) where 1,000-foot trains running on third rail whizz in and out is very cool.

Third impression: The frequency of the trains going from Jamaica to Manhattan is impressive. I wonder if it’s feasible to have a Jamaica-Manhattan nonstop express train a la the Heathrow Express.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 3:53 PM
Ω

I was just there also and I'm still blown away by how difficult it is to get into the city from the airports via transit. It is something where Chicago is much better. Other than that I had a great time. Great food, comedy show, late night restaurants.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
I was just there also and I'm still blown away by how difficult it is to get into the city from the airports via transit. It is something where Chicago is much better. Other than that I had a great time. Great food, comedy show, late night restaurants.
That's why you always should fly into EWR!!

Jump on NJTransit at the airport and you're in Penn Station in like 20 mins. Easy-peasy!

It's way easier to get into a lot of cities from the airport than is the case with NY... but those cities, including Chicago, are not NY.

I mean, after all, you are trying to get onto one of the most densely developed and inhabited islands on the planet...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 4:28 PM

Both JFK and EWR are easy to get to on transit. LGA is extremely transit unfriendly. It's virtually impossible to get there by transit from Brooklyn in less than 2 hours.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:09 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

UWS: This is NYC at its best and is most definitely charming. Mostly rowhouses and apartment buildings, two subway lines, Central and Riverside Park, ped-friendly commercial corridors. Urban heaven. Dense without feeling oppressive like Paris. Quaint but not as sparse as London. Tree-lined streets.

In general: NYers definitely stay true to their reputation of wanting you to get to the point. “How are you?” doesn’t get a response back.

A lot more Yankees than Mets hats.

Most people aren’t dressed well. The best-dressed are European tourists.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post

Most people aren’t dressed well. The best-dressed are European tourists.
I'll take it a step further... most people in NY look like shit.

Last edited by pj3000; Jun 15, 2023 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Both JFK and EWR are easy to get to on transit. LGA is extremely transit unfriendly. It's virtually impossible to get there by transit from Brooklyn in less than 2 hours.
I feel LGA>Newark>JFK for transit accessibility. Yeah, for LGA you have to take the stupid free bus lane to the subway, and it's idiotic there still isn't a direct rail link, and the NIMBYs appeared to have torpedoed the most recent plan. But it's still very quick to Midtown.

Newark probably has the best transit setup, though, with the NJ Transit trains making just one or two stops to Penn Station. JFK will never be fixed unless they run the LIRR on the Airtrain, which it's engineered to do, but just hasn't happened yet.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I feel LGA>Newark>JFK for transit accessibility. Yeah, for LGA you have to take the stupid free bus lane to the subway, and it's idiotic there still isn't a direct rail link, and the NIMBYs appeared to have torpedoed the most recent plan. But it's still very quick to Midtown.

Newark probably has the best transit setup, though, with the NJ Transit trains making just one or two stops to Penn Station. JFK will never be fixed unless they run the LIRR on the Airtrain, which it's engineered to do, but just hasn't happened yet.
Strong disagree on this one. Penn Station to Jamaica is roughly a 20 minute ride. So is Atlantic Terminal (Brooklyn) to Jamaica. You can (theoretically) be in any airport terminal at JFK from Midtown in less than 40 minutes.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Strong disagree on this one. Penn Station to Jamaica is roughly a 20 minute ride. So is Atlantic Terminal (Brooklyn) to Jamaica. You can (theoretically) be in any airport terminal at JFK from Midtown in less than 40 minutes.
Maybe it's bc I've taken the subway (E train to Manhattan, or A train to Brooklyn).

Yeah, by LIRR, it's probably a lot faster. And East Side Access makes Jamaica-Grand Central a pretty quick ride, and gives you the option of Grand Central or Penn.

Newark is getting the PATH train, however, and the existing NJ Transit station is being massively upgraded. And Newark is closer to Manhattan than JFK, so it will probably always be a bit quicker.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Maybe it's bc I've taken the subway (E train to Manhattan, or A train to Brooklyn).

Yeah, by LIRR, it's probably a lot faster. And East Side Access makes Jamaica-Grand Central a pretty quick ride, and gives you the option of Grand Central or Penn.

Newark is getting the PATH train, however, and the existing NJ Transit station is being massively upgraded. And Newark is closer to Manhattan than JFK, so it will probably always be a bit quicker.
Yeah, PATH to EWR will be a game changer. I've done the PATH from WTC to Newark Penn then taken the NE corridor train the one stop to EWR because it can be quicker when coming from Brooklyn. Having the PATH go directly to EWR will make that airport almost as easy for me to reach as JFK.

JFK is by far the easiest for me to reach from where I live because I can take the A train or the LIRR. LGA by comparison is a nightmare to get to by transit, and I haven't taken transit to get there in well over a decade. But it is relatively easy to reach by car from where I live.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 8:29 PM

Interesting observations from a tourist. I haven't noticed an increase in the smell of piss or hot garbage but definitely in the smell of weed. It's everywhere, even here in the outer boroughs. I'm fine with that and I don't partake. The "city" (Manhattan) has a bit of a post-pandemic grime that I actually kind of dig. It reminds me of the NYC that I first moved to before the rampant gentrification. I remember going out clubbing in parts of Williamsburg around Berry Street that you shouldn't have felt safe in at night and now that area feels like the SoHo of 2010. For me the city feels more authentically classic NYC, a bit rough around the edges in places but vibrant. My neck of Astoria is more alive now than pre-COVID 2019 but that's because of the effect of hybrid and remote work—people like me are spending more time in the neighborhoods they live in vs the ones they commute to for work.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 8:46 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
That's why you always should fly into EWR!!

Jump on NJTransit at the airport and you're in Penn Station in like 20 mins. Easy-peasy!
Thanks for the tip.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post

Yeah the bus ride to/from LaGuardia (either from 125th St. or from the #7) is a little intimidating if you haven't done it before. But it's really not a big deal.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 9:15 PM

I too visited recently and it was atleast 7,8 years before that.

Younger me found the larger than life, constant hustle, loud new yorker fascinating and exciting, but as ive gotten older i can no longer stand the narcissism and rude attitude that i once used to dig.

I felt like everybody tried to pick a fight and one of the first things that occured when i got into the city was a loudmouth screaming over the counter towards the dunkin donuts worker who looked terrified.

These things happens in Europe too of course but in Italy, France etc i never get the feeling that it will turn out into a brawl. Native New Yorkers never back down from a fight thats for sure.

Perhaps this attitude will be less hostile now with the new weed laws?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Interesting observations from a tourist. I haven't noticed an increase in the smell of piss or hot garbage but definitely in the smell of weed.
Didn’t say an increase in the smell of piss, just that it’s now combined with weed.

And my observation was really just based on first impression coming out of Penn Station and smelled the familiar note of piss wafting up from the subway… only now it had more than a hint of weed to it.

And didn’t really consider myself a “tourist” since I was there for work… and previously lived there (Whitestone, LES, Hells Kitchen, Hamilton Hts, and Battery Park City) pre and post 9/11. Hard to consider myself a tourist when I have quite a history there. But yeah, I did find myself doing some touristy things… which is probably what NY is best for.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 11:45 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

More impressions:

Manhattan definitely has that Paris feel. The buildings and architecture are of a different scale for sure, but it feels eerily similar. The pedestrian activity isn’t quite as intense though… I say this while in Midtown during rush hour. Same thing with the train stations… not comparable to London’s at all in terms of amount of people and frenetic pace.

The diversity is matched only by London (sorry Toronto).

I’m sorry to keep on bringing this up, but NYers (you can tell who’s local, whether native or transplant) simply don’t dress well, and no effort is made to look nice. Lots of people in exercise gear and casual wear that looks like it was thrown together at the last minute. Is it a warm weather thing? I’ve seen better sartorial game in LA.

Highly individualistic and “you do you.” Everyone sort of does their own thing and are less likely to get caught up in odd-sightings or people-watching.

Surprisingly not as many homeless and mentally ill.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 12:00 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

And…

They may build them taller, but the ESB is still and will always be #1.

Exiting Penn Station and seeing it was the biggest “Welcome back to NYC!” I could’ve received.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
And…

They may build them taller, but the ESB is still and will always be #1.

Exiting Penn Station and seeing it was the biggest “Welcome back to NYC!” I could’ve received.
Enjoy it while it lasts. That entire area will be covered in supertalls in a decade

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions