HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
meaning, housing a Carson's? why, because Carson's is downscale? (i actually think that first floor currently is a bit dank for a splendid state street space.)
No, because it is a "Department Store", a dying institution. I understand that there is a lot of disagreement on this issue (see Lynn Becker's blog for the other perspective), but I would rather see a well done and prosperous arcade concept than perennially depressed Department Store that uses the full space.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
Yeah that's a definite no. The last thing we need is constant derailments, slow zones, and 40 or so incompetent cta personnel hanging around stations doing nothing on a regular basis.
I third that. As a regular user of the Metra Electric Line, the absolute last thing I want for it is to be taken over by the CTA. Don't try to fix what isn't broken. Metra is consistently on time, whereas taking the CTA inevitably entails endless waiting. And I certainly hope they don't plan to replace the comfortable Metra cars with dirty el cars with hard plastic seats.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Interesting. What's the total sales for the West Town community area then? I know the West Town community area is demolishing all others in terms of demo and construction permits issued...
It looks like there were 1355 sales in West Town compared to 1568 in 2005.

The combination of the free GIS data available from the Census Department and the City website and the free property transfer record downloads on Crain's website makes it pretty easy for anyone to do research like this. Probably scares the crap out of a lot of real estate companies

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
My new transit wishlist:

1) Circle Line
2) Some sort of subway or light rail connecting Union Station with River North/Streeterville/Navy Pier and other L lines nearby

I was doing some pie in the sky daydreaming about bringing transit to streeterville, and it seems as though there is a good fit with the general circle line plan.

The current plan is for the circle line to merge with the red line at North/Clyborn and then head south. But what if it detoured?
I don't know which billionaire would pay the bill, but in my mind, this is how Streeterville and Lake Shore East L service should be created.

Put a new transfer station at State and Oak. This would give a stop for the Elysian, Rush Street district and surrounding developments. From that stop, the circle line would split off to the east.
A station would be at Chicago and Fairbanks to give L service to the University Hospital complex. The line would head south, with a Fairbanks/Grand stop smack in the middle of the Streeterville redevelopment.
Then the line would head under the river for an LSE park station, before rejoining the red line at either Lake or Washington.

http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ifiedl2zq9.jpg

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 10:24 PM
Registered

^ Good start. A suggested change: instead of going the costliest route back into the Loop to connect with the Red Line, just continue south into Grant Park. From there, the Circle Line should jump into the IC right of way and add stops at Roosevelt / Museum Campus / Soldier Field, McCormick Place, and continue south to 35th. Then it would head west, add a superstation at 35th Red, Green, and Metra stations, one more in Bridgeport at Halsted, and then head up Ashland to meet the Orange line at the planned connection.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:45 PM

^ While I agree it would be great to get an L stop at the museum campus, if the fiinal goal is to get rid of car usage in the city core, then I think it's necessary to have a mass transit link from the loop to the uber dense LSE/Streeterville areas.
I don't know if it would have the high ridership needed if riders always had to transfer up to Clark/Division (or Oak) to get to the loop. I'm talking about adding some of those crossovers that make the manhattan subway system usefull for daily life.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 6:22 PM

Didn't know where else to put this, since it isn't a development, but I thought some people here would be interested.

The next Friends of Downtown Brown Bag presentation
Thursday, January 4th at 12.15
Chicago Cultural Center
Millennium Park Room, 5th floor southeast

Looptopia
Ty Tabing, Executive Director of the Chicago Loop Alliance, will discuss Looptopia, a new all night Celebration of Downtown scheduled for May 11th. Based on “White Nights” events such as in Paris and Rome, Looptopia will transform Chicago with all kinds of site-specific cultural performances, art and media installations, and a sunrise concert at Millennium Park.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 8:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
^ While I agree it would be great to get an L stop at the museum campus, if the fiinal goal is to get rid of car usage in the city core, then I think it's necessary to have a mass transit link from the loop to the uber dense LSE/Streeterville areas.
I don't know if it would have the high ridership needed if riders always had to transfer up to Clark/Division (or Oak) to get to the loop. I'm talking about adding some of those crossovers that make the manhattan subway system usefull for daily life.
Yeah, maybe. I think a Pedway link at Randolph could work, but it would be a long walk to the Red Line. Or have it swing closer to Michigan perhaps to link 1/2 block to the Loop elevated. Anyway, we can continue this over in the transit thread if you like.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 4:44 AM
The City

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/city/webport...inCategoryOID=
2006 Year in Review
Improving the economy and quality of life in Chicago's neighborhoods was the priority for the Department of Planning and Development in 2006 by creating opportunities for the growth, sustainability and preservation of the diverse communities that make Chicago one of the best places to live, work and raise a family.

"Our efforts focused on helping businesses and developers realize the opportunities that exist within communities which leads to more jobs, retail growth and affordable housing choices," said Lori T. Healey, commissioner of the Department of Planning and Development.

Part of that effort included sponsoring the first-ever Grocery Store Expo, designed to generate interest in Chicago's neighborhoods among major grocery store chains. The day-long expo, which attracted retailers from throughout the country, showcased available business opportunities and city programs.

Our ever expanding downtown continues to thrive and serve as the city's economic engine, but development can be found in every corner of Chicago. From the North Side to the South Side to the West Side and to downtown, the department has retained and recruited thousands of jobs at companies like United Airlines, which is relocating to Wacker Drive from the suburbs, Blommers Chocolate, which updated its plant in the Kinzie Industrial Corridor, Coca-Cola, which is renovating a former Helene Curtis facility in Humboldt Park, Steelhead Corporation, a metals company moving from Bedford Park to the Southwest Side, and MiFab, a plumbing distributor that moved from Canada to the Far South Side.

Department efforts have received national recognition including the U.S Environmental Protection Agency Smart Growth award for a transit oriented project with the Bethel Center in West Garfield Park which transformed a former contaminated brownfield into a community anchor.

This year, economic development initiatives created nearly 3,000 jobs and retained 5,800 others throughout the city. One program that directly relates to job creation and retention are Planned Manufacturing Districts (PMD).

Through the use of strict zoning requirements, PMDs provide the means for local industrial, manufacturing and technology-based companies to expand as well as incentives for businesses outside of Chicago to relocate here. Since their inception, PMDs have been responsible for generating more than $1 billion in private and public investment, making Chicago a national model in industrial retention and growth.

Small businesses will get assistance to help them expand through a new City program. The Small Business Development Fund will make $5 million in low interest loans available over the next five years to qualified neighborhood companies for improvements to their operations and increases in their workforce.

Many development efforts have been aided through the Tax Increment Financing program, which has proven to be one of the city's most effective private-public partnership tools. In 2006, the program leveraged more than $960 million in private investment through $210 million in public assistance.

In addition to helping to spur development projects, most of which would not be possible without the use of TIF, the program also funded other initiatives such as TIF Works which has provided training for thousands of Chicagoans seeking industrial jobs.

On the housing front, the city's financial initiatives along with the support of the Department of Housing and the Chicago Housing Authority is helping to advance the Plan for Transformation through the creation of approximately 1,000 affordable housing and CHA replacement units for Chicago families in 2006.

The Department successfully negotiated land sales totaling almost $18 million in 2006 through sealed bids, the Adjacent Neighbors Land Acquisition (ANLAP) program, and other initiatives which have helped us transform blighted and underutilized sites into productive properties.

Preserving Chicago's past is just as important as building its future. The City was recently honored by the National Trust for Historic Preservation for its efforts to preserve and restore Mather Tower, a 41-story skyscraper built in 1928. Utilizing city and other public incentives, the building was completely rehabilitated into first-class office and hotel space.

Earlier this year the city took steps to protect historic water tanks by requiring an automatic review of all proposed demolitions. Constructed of wood and metal, the tanks were a familiar fixture of our skyline. Once numbering in the thousands, less than 200 rooftop and free-standing tanks remain.

Official landmark status was granted this year to one district and fourteen individual buildings, including the Palmer House Hotel, Mundelein College Skyscraper, Roberts Temple and the Carl Sandburg House. These new designations bring the total number of landmark buildings to 237 buildings, and the number of landmark districts to 49 encompassing some 7,600 buildings.

To improve and protect Chicago's valuable natural resources, the Department of Planning and Development, along with the Mayor's Nature and Wildlife Committee and more than 30 conservation organizations, published the first-ever Chicago Nature and Wildlife Plan. The plan identifies 4,800 acres of prairies, savannas, dunes, woodlands and wetlands, and sets forth techniques for keeping these areas habitat friendly.

Chicago remains a recognized leader when it comes to incorporating green technology into urban developments. Currently, more than 250 green roof projects totaling more than 2.8 million square feet have built or are planned on public and private buildings throughout Chicago, more than any other city in the country.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
State and Illinois - yes I think there is retail TUP

Weiss Architecture
Its not special, but the ground floor retail helps. Better than the stinking lot there now.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
meaning, housing a Carson's? why, because Carson's is downscale? (i actually think that first floor currently is a bit dank for a splendid state street space.)
Carsons should move to

South Loop, east of State or
River North, west of Clark or
West Loop ANYWHERE

These places need retail badly.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 6:10 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archi...story0107e.htm

Courthouse goes condo

By Marie Balice Ward

The vacant building at 1340 S. Michigan Ave., which was erected in 1922 as a furniture company and served most recently as the Cook County Domestic Violence Court before the court moved to 555 W. Harrison St. in 2005, soon will experience yet another of several metamorphoses when it is converted to condominiums.

The classic revival building’s white terra cotta façade “will be preserved,” vowed Sebastian Sobieski, an agent with Realty Group, which has teamed with Concept Developers on the project.

The façade boasts non-structural terra cotta columns topped by elaborate capitals that rise on either side of recessed windows. The building’s ornate cornice also is in the classic revival style, and the roof offers impressive panoramic views.

“We plan to renovate the building’s façade and create loft style condominiums, possibly with overhanging balconies on the sides of the building,” Sobieski said. “We anticipate there will be 55-plus units that will be from 1,000 to 1,300 square feet in size. There might also be terraces on the building’s third floor.”

Sobieski’s group is “working with architects to develop a design and floor plans,” he said. Renovations may add “a couple of stories for penthouse units without interfering with the façade.”

Project architects Hartshorne + Plunkard, based in Chicago, specialize in adaptive reuse, historical preservation, and planning for single- and multi-unit residential properties.

The lofts will have 12 foot ceilings, open brick walls, and exposed electrical and ventilation systems. Sobieski suggested the building will appeal to young professionals who have lived in the area more than five years and are ready for a change of scenery.

Work is expected to begin in early 2007. The sales office currently at 1326 S. Michigan Ave. will move to accommodate construction of a second, adjacent project at 1330 S. Michigan Ave., Concept Developers’ and Realty Group’s Azure Towers. A new 18-story glass-enclosed highrise, Azure Towers will offer luxury amenities such as state of the art safety systems, a landscaped roof, a residents-only fitness center, and an entertainment room with direct access to the rooftop park.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 8:42 PM

Honestly if they just gut the building and reuse it as office/retail/residence space, I don't think they'd get the same sort of fight as slapping that facade on a parking garage.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 5:34 AM
The City

http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archi...story0107h.htm
Mayor Daley wants more ‘super dorms’ like University Center

By Stacie Johnson

Mayor Richard M. Daley wants more college dormitories, patterned after the University Center in the South Loop, built in the city.

This “superdorm,” the nation’s largest multi-school residential facility, opened in 2004 at State Street and Congress Parkway under a $151 million partnership among Roosevelt University, DePaul University, and Columbia College. Undergraduate, graduate, and professional students from the three schools live there, and those attending Robert Morris College now call the center home after their school joined the partnership.

More than 1,700 students live in the 18-story center, creating economic success and resulting in a waiting list for space and increased enrollment in Loop-based schools and other schools in the downtown area. Said Daley, “We hope to explore more options, build more facilities...whether it is converting an older building, whether it is building a new one.”

Daley wants the next dorm to have not only rooms for students but what he called a "side entrance" for employees that would lead to apartments for professors and college staff.

Plans are in the initial assessment stages, according to Constance Buscemi, spokesperson for the City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development.

“It hasn’t become formal yet," she said. "There are ongoing conversations with several colleges and universities downtown. The one issue that comes up with almost all, as enrollment increases, is the need for dorm space. Thus, we are working with individual colleges as they assess their needs to see where they are at now and their plan for future needs.”

Roosevelt President Chuck Middleton has said his university is interested in expanding residential capacity by at least 450 beds. “We're growing, as are other institutions downtown," he said.

"Everybody needs more beds downtown.”

Whether Roosevelt residential students would be included in another superdorm or a Roosevelt-only dorm remains under study.

Currently, a University Center studio apartment with kitchen and private bath rents for $1,142 a month. Students sharing a traditional four-person dorm room pay between $710 and $753 a month and about $2,200 annually for a meal plan. The facility also provides a laundry room with 75 washers and dryers, a game room, and an exercise room.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 4:25 PM

University Center has had a HUGE impact on the South Loop. More retail and restaurants opened, and more to come.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
University Center has had a HUGE impact on the South Loop. More retail and restaurants opened, and more to come.
It also drew more students to the Loop universities as they developed a "not just loop commuter school" image

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Its not special, but the ground floor retail helps. Better than the stinking lot there now.
^I missed this...which corner of State and Illinois is being referenced here, and where can I get more info on the project? I work very close by.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 2:16 AM
Registered

^ Judging from the direction of traffic in the rendering, and the greenspace shown, I think we're talking about the NW corner. However, I don't think we really know.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 2:17 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Seeing Solarwind's great shots of the Legacy project reminded me to mention that facade stabilization at Sullivan's Pilgrim Baptist Church is underway...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 5:21 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Seeing Solarwind's great shots of the Legacy project reminded me to mention that facade stabilization at Sullivan's Pilgrim Baptist Church is underway...
WHOA! Wait, what??! I could have sworn that the shell was going to be/is demolished???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development