HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
You forgot the tachyons...Won't somebody PLEASE think of the tachyons??!
Only if you go to the Jefferies Tube to check out some diagnostics first...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 8:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

YES!

star trek technobabble.

Now that's the kind of nerdery I can actually understand.

I guess I'll have another beer.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:16 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Only if you go to the Jefferies Tube to check out some diagnostics first...
An no doubt, Geordie knows every one of them inside and out. I believe B'Elana knows them 100% as well.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:53 PM
Plenary pleasures.

With all of the awesome Trekkie talk, I think this fits right here:

https://www.startrek.com/news/reedpo...in-spring-2022

"ReedPop, the world’s leading producer of pop culture events, announced today that they are joining forces with ViacomCBS Consumer Products as the official convention partner for the Star Trek franchise. The partnership will kick off in 2022 with an all-new event that will serve as the ultimate destination for fans of the iconic franchise - Star Trek: Mission Chicago. Produced in partnership with ViacomCBS Consumer Products, Star Trek: Mission Chicago is a three-day immersive experience that will take place at Chicago’s McCormick Place Convention Center from April 8 - 10, 2022."

I hope Chicago's economy benefits from a massive boom of post-Covid convention activity.

The last Star Wars 'Celebration' was held in Chicago in 2019 before the pandemic (last year's convention in Anaheim was cancelled). I believe the final number of attendees was 68,000, from all over the country and the world. Dunno if the Trek convention would bring as many people, but who knows. The Trek shows on Paramount+ are pretty popular, and they keep adding more, so there's clearly still an appetite for the franchise, and it is helping increase the streamer's profile and subscriber base.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:17 PM
The City

Chicago getting a new HQ, a Barcelona-based company. Link and article NOT included, because....well.....I'm just a swell guy

Marothisu, take it away!

(FYI, check it out on Crains)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 9:41 PM
1st Ward

Figured I'd post it since I had a few minutes of free time. Sorry for stealing your thunder, Marothisu/TUP!

Chicago lands an HQ from Spain
Elements Global Services CEO Rick Hammell says he plans to more than triple headcount here after moving his company from Barcelona.
Quote:
A corporate outsourcing company with an international focus is moving its headquarters back to Chicago after a stint in Barcelona, due in part to COVID-19. And this time, it’s a lot larger.

Scheduled to set up shop at 1 N. Franklin St. on May 3 is Elements Global Services, which describes itself as a “tech-enabled services company” that specializes in helping U.S. companies seeking to expand overseas cut international hiring red tape.

The company has leased 14,000 square feet in the Loop tower. Founder and CEO Rick Hammell said the firm plans to expand from its current 61 Chicago workers to up to 225 staffers in a couple of years and potentially lease an entire floor.

The company now has about 235 employees worldwide and says it’s active in more than 135 countries.

Hammell, 34, who grew up in north suburban Evanston, said he always had an interest in HR functions and learned in a previous job how little formal support there was for companies just getting started overseas. He founded the company in 2016 and, with big international expansion in mind, moved it and himself to Barcelona. “I’ve still got my condo there,” just two blocks from the waterfront, he told me in a phone interview.

But after a business trip to America left him stuck here when COVID cut off most international air travel, “I realized how much I missed Chicago,” Hammell said. With 80 percent of the company’s clients located in the United States, “it made sense to be centrally located” in the U.S., he said.

Barcelona will become the firm’s European regional headquarters.
Source: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...lands-hq-spain

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 10:51 PM

^ LOL no thunder stolen. Good news though. Chicago area company moves overseas, has some success... moving back. Plus potential triple of head count in the next few years. Good stuff.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:03 PM

Auto-insurance startup Clearcover raises $200 million

Quote:
Online auto-insurance startup Clearcover raised $200 million in fresh funding.

The Chicago-based company has been steadily adding markets since it started selling insurance in 2018 in California. It now sells in 15 states, including Illinois. The company doubled revenue last year, says CEO Kyle Nakatsuji, though he declined to specify how much. The company also doubled its headcount to 250 people.

Nakatsuji said Clearcover will double its staff again this year, adding employees to insurance, product and engineering teams.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:28 PM
The City

Quote:
^ LOL no thunder stolen. Good news though. Chicago area company moves overseas, has some success... moving back. Plus potential triple of head count in the next few years. Good stuff.
Yep, and these are going to be real people working in a real downtown office, as opposed to a bunch of WFH goofballs sitting in LaGrange....

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Yep, and these are going to be real people working in a real downtown office, as opposed to a bunch of WFH goofballs sitting in LaGrange....
Lol... you think nobody from this company will be working from home ever? Dude, no offense but you are fairly out of touch with what's going on regarding office workers right now. We have already covered this. I'm also someone right in the middle of it at a massive company and as a manager. Many companies are not abandoning their offices buy they're going hybrid. There's a reason why someone like Uber just scored a $55M permit to build out their OPO office and didn't abandon it,, but put a sizable percentage up for sublease still. So many companies will be going hybrid as they've figures out many of their workers can be just as productive at home, but still have an office to come to X times a month per person, and the company saves money and increases (potentially) their profit margins.

Expect more and more announcements in the next few months from major companies.

Last edited by marothisu; Apr 13, 2021 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:36 PM

BTW funding in Chicago this year is above $2.2B now for the year not counting debt financing funding, IPO money, etc. Last year in total had $2.8B in funding, which was the top year in something like 15 years. Could this year top that? Stay tuned..

Chicago food tech startup gets $70 million in funding to keep the world’s bananas and avocados fresher longer

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...kqi-story.html

Quote:
Hazel Technologies, a Chicago-based startup that created a small drop-in packet to keep bananas and other produce from turning prematurely brown, is starting to produce a lot of green.

The 6-year-old company announced Tuesday it raised $70 million in a completed investment round, financing ambitions to grow Hazel into an international food tech powerhouse.

“For the next five years or so, we will be launching our products in every major agronomy on Earth,” said Hazel CEO Aidan Mouat, 34. “That’s kind of the brand ambition for the moment.”

The mission is to extend the life of billions of pounds of fresh produce each year, preventing spoilage from grower to grocer to your kitchen counter. Hazel works with more than 160 companies across 12 countries, with major customers such as Mission Avocado, the world’s largest distributor of fresh avocados; Zespri, the world’s biggest kiwifruit distributor; and Oppy, Canada’s largest produce distributor.

The product delivers an odorless vapor in sugar-packet sized inserts called sachets. When dropped in bulk boxes of produce, the sachet can as much as triple shelf life, the company said.

Founded in 2015 by a group of Northwestern University graduate students, Hazel expects to double its head count to about 60 employees this year — most at its headquarters at University Technology Park, a startup innovation hub on the Illinois Institute of Technology campus.

The company is outgrowing its current headquarters and plans to relocate to a larger Chicago space within the next 12 months, Mouat said.

In 2019, 35% of all food in the U.S. went unsold or uneaten, and the food waste problem was exacerbated during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to ReFED, a Berkeley, California-based nonprofit that seeks solutions to reduce food waste. Most of wasted food ends up in landfills.

This year, Hazel projects its product will be used with more than 6.3 billion pounds of produce, preventing more than 500 million pounds from going to waste.

The company said it is not yet profitable and revenues, which tripled last year, are under $10 million. By 2025, Mouat projects annual revenue to hit $130 million, with most of the growth coming from international expansion.

About 70% of Hazel’s revenue is generated in North America, with about 30% coming from South Africa, the Dominican Republic, New Zealand and Peru. By 2025, Mouat expects to be in 20 countries, with international business accounting for 75% of annual revenue.

The company has raised more than $87 million to date, including the $70 million round led by Pontifax AgTech, a California-based investment firm.

Hazel is working on a consumer version of its satchets that should hit store shelves within the next two years, Mouat said.

“We’ll probably try to dress it up a little bit for home use,” Mouat said. “But essentially, you could buy a ripe banana at a grocery store, bring it home and make it last for an extra two weeks using our technology on your countertop.”

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 5:00 PM
The City

Quote:
Lol... you think nobody from this company will be working from home ever? Dude, no offense but you are fairly out of touch with what's going on regarding office workers right now. We have already covered this. I'm also someone right in the middle of it at a massive company and as a manager. Many companies are not abandoning their offices buy they're going hybrid. There's a reason why someone like Uber just scored a $55M permit to build out their OPO office and didn't abandon it,, but put a sizable percentage up for sublease still. So many companies will be going hybrid as they've figures out many of their workers can be just as productive at home, but still have an office to come to X times a month per person, and the company saves money and increases (potentially) their profit margins.

Expect more and more announcements in the next few months from major companies.
^ I realize this, but you are also failing to acknowledge the downstream repercussions of an even small dip in human volume in downtown offices.

Obviously we are over a year into the pandemic and much of the damage is done, but the damage was partly contained due to an expectation that this situation was temporary--ie, people were "hanging on."

Lenders are holding back on foreclosures, and business owners/landlords are burning through reserves with the expectation that good times will return.

But if you had a business downtown (restaurant, store, hotel, property owner of an office building, etc) with certain expectations yielding a profit margin of X, then even a 10% reduction of volume could potentially be enough to put your business in the red. And I'm pretty sure that with even partial WFH, we are going to see far more than a 10% reduction in daily downtown office workforce.

The other shoe hasn't even fallen yet due to stimulus checks and the aforementioned time bought with cash reserves and the holding back on foreclosures and bankruptcies. So even partial WFH--maybe this is a done deal and that's fine--but the economic havoc it will reap has not borne itself out yet.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 5:43 PM

Quote:
^ I realize this, but you are also failing to acknowledge the downstream repercussions of an even small dip in human volume in downtown offices.

Obviously we are over a year into the pandemic and much of the damage is done, but the damage was partly contained due to an expectation that this situation was temporary--ie, people were "hanging on."

Lenders are holding back on foreclosures, and business owners/landlords are burning through reserves with the expectation that good times will return.

But if you had a business downtown (restaurant, store, hotel, property owner of an office building, etc) with certain expectations yielding a profit margin of X, then even a 10% reduction of volume could potentially be enough to put your business in the red. And I'm pretty sure that with even partial WFH, we are going to see far more than a 10% reduction in daily downtown office workforce.

The other shoe hasn't even fallen yet due to stimulus checks and the aforementioned time bought with cash reserves and the holding back on foreclosures and bankruptcies. So even partial WFH--maybe this is a done deal and that's fine--but the economic havoc it will reap has not borne itself out yet.
Actually, no I didn't. I never once stated anything about repercussions to the local economy even with a hybrid office model. Please stop putting words in my mouth. You'd have to be a complete fucking idiot to not realize that there's repercussions. You are confusing me telling you what the reality of a lot of businesses are post pandemic with work arrangements with "everything will be back to normal for the local economy around these offices!" which I never once stated. Contrary to popular belief, I can tell you what the reality of a post pandemic work arrangement will be without having to insert my own opinion about how it's not going to get things completely back to normal as they were pre-pandemic.

We're even lucky that some companies are considering this. A lot of companies, including mine (at least my large organization), got even more done during the pandemic than a normal year. Literally the main reason we're going back to the office in some capacity is to not screw over the local economy and to help do our part how we can. There are a few more minor reasons and they aren't miniscule but the above is the main reason. Many companies have realized that they are just as productive at home, but are doing hybrid to not completely screw over the commercial real estate sector and local economy around offices. The thing is that we also have a duty to ourselves and shareholders, and realizing the above means that we are able to increase something like profit margin by cutting down on perhaps a few million sq ft worldwide but still keeping millions.

And the funny part is in all of this is that MANY companies in cities like Chicago and NYC have been on the hybrid model for years (like 20+ years). What am I exactly talking about? Consulting. I used to work for a very large consulting practice in Chicago and most of the people I worked with were traveling every week. They were on projects with people from all over and literally almost never came into the office. I was staffed on a local project for 5 years in Chicago where I worked from the office 4 days a week (Fridays at home - for 5 years). There were people I worked with who I never even met once but they had desks because they were traveling and perhaps the only day they could ever come into the office was a Friday which was pointless. I have friends who still work for the company who have told me they haven't even been to the office in 4 years and the entire time was working remotely either from a client site somewhere or from home in the area.

Chicago has tens of thousands of workers like this who haven't even stepped foot in their offices in multiple years downtown. Chicago has one of the largest populations of consultants of any city in America. And yet, you probably didn't even realize that tens of thousands of workers, who technically count towards the working population of downtown, haven't even stepped foot downtown for work in literally years.

So yes, local economy obviously suffers and it will be eased a bit by hybrid arranagement, but not completely back to normal which is just fucking obvious. I'd like to know where your outrage has been though at the above knowing that for years and years and years, there could be way more people working downtown even 1 more day a week who don't (i.e. consultants).

And please, stop putting words in my mouth. Never once did I state that everything will be "back to normal" with a hybrid work arrangement. I am merely telling you what the reality is that many companies will do. And guess what? In 10 years, things will change maybe. I remember about 20 years ago that telecommuting was cool, and then 10 or 12 years later (something like that) everyone started saying "nope, bad - everyone needs to be in the office all the time."

Last edited by marothisu; Apr 13, 2021 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:01 PM

And more funding announced...$360M today. For the Bay Area that's like a normal or bad day but for most places that's pretty damn good.

HomeX raises $90M to simplify home repairs

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...e-repairs.html

Quote:
A tech company working to streamline home repairs and upgrades has raised a large round of funding.

HomeX, founded in 2017, announced Tuesday that it raised $90 million in a round led by New Mountain Capital, a private equity firm that manages more than $30 billion in assts.

HomeX, launched by CEO Michael Werner, has built a platform that simplifies home services, maintenance and repairs. The software serves as a marketplace for homeowners to find contractors, and provides both virtual and physical services. HomeX's Remote Assist app allows homeowners to receive a free virtual assessment from a home expert to diagnose a problem, and then connects users with a fully-accredited professional who can come to their home and fix it.

HomeX says it has hundreds of thousands of users and saw 400% growth in less than a year. With people trying to do more remote interactions amid the pandemic, HomeX says it was able to quickly scale in 2020.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:01 PM
The City

^ I’m sorry, but what are we debating again? Because nothing you wrote addressed anything I said

I don’t really care about why WFH—partial or not—is happening. That’s not up to me, that is up to companies. All I care about is the perspective of a downtown business, restaurant, or office landlord who has relied on certain volumes of workers/foot traffic and patrons in order to plan their budgets. How do they prepare for this new normal? Really no reason why this discussion needs to get you so worked up.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:07 PM

Quote:
^ I’m sorry, but what are we debating again? Because nothing you wrote addressed anything I said

I don’t really care about why WFH—partial or not—is happening. That’s not up to me, that is up to companies. All I care about is the perspective of a downtown business, restaurant, or office landlord who has relied on certain volumes of workers/foot traffic and patrons in order to plan their budgets. Really no reason why this discussion needs to get you so worked up.
Here is what you said:
Quote:
And here is what I said:
Quote:
Actually, no I didn't. I never once stated anything about repercussions to the local economy even with a hybrid office model. Please stop putting words in my mouth. You'd have to be a complete fucking idiot to not realize that there's repercussions. You are confusing me telling you what the reality of a lot of businesses are post pandemic with work arrangements with "everything will be back to normal for the local economy around these offices!" which I never once stated. Contrary to popular belief, I can tell you what the reality of a post pandemic work arrangement will be without having to insert my own opinion about how it's not going to get things completely back to normal as they were pre-pandemic.
Perhaps worked up. You're right - I never addressed it. I also don't have to address it because such a thing is too fucking obvious to have to delve into 3 paragraphs about how there's repercussions of some company post-pandemic only having 600 of their 1200 workers in the office on any given work day instead of the 1200 pre-pandemic. I mean, this is pretty obvious. I'm also not a journalist - perhaps if I was then you'd have a point on how lazy I am in my articles.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:19 PM

By the way - it's a good day in funding for Chicago. 3 different big rounds announced of $360M. Almost at $2.3B for the year. By the way, the funding includes everything and not just tech. While most of it is tech, I've seen from other cities things like manufacturing, health care, biomedical, insurance, banking, musical instruments, etc.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:41 PM
The City

Quote:
Perhaps worked up. You're right - I never addressed it. I also don't have to address it because such a thing is too fucking obvious to have to delve into 3 paragraphs about how there's repercussions of some company post-pandemic only having 600 of their 1200 workers in the office on any given work day instead of the 1200 pre-pandemic. I mean, this is pretty obvious. I'm also not a journalist - perhaps if I was then you'd have a point on how lazy I am in my articles.
^ It may not be very important or interesting to you to devote time to, but it's a BIG DEAL for the local economy, so expect others who are more locally invested than you are to discuss its implications. I am locally invested, for example, and I'm a pretty tiny pawn compared to the many major stakeholders in this city.

I'm glad that, from your managerial job in New York you can work from home and are having a good time talking about Chicago's VC funding, but you don't own this thread either. You aren't tapped into and feeling the pain of what is going on locally. It matters to people that you probably don't give a shit about.

If fewer and fewer people are going downtown, it matters and is worthy of "3 paragraphs".

More people WFH means an absolute wealth transfer from Chicago and its local businesses to:

1. Jeff Bezos' bank account
2. Suburban housing market
(both #1 and #2 are booming right now)

So you may not like the WFH discussion, but it has real life & tangible implications, because this is the Chicago Economy Thread & everything that impacts it is fair game.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
^ It may not be very important or interesting to you to devote time to, but it's a BIG DEAL for the local economy, so expect others who are more locally invested than you are to discuss its implications. I am locally invested, for example, and I'm a pretty tiny pawn compared to the many major stakeholders in this city.

I'm glad that, from your managerial job in New York you can work from home and are having a good time talking about Chicago's VC funding, but you don't own this thread either. You aren't tapped into and feeling the pain of what is going on locally. It matters to people that you probably don't give a shit about.

If fewer and fewer people are going downtown, it matters and is worthy of "3 paragraphs".

More people WFH means an absolute wealth transfer from Chicago and its local businesses to:

1. Jeff Bezos' bank account
2. Suburban housing market
(both #1 and #2 are booming right now)

So you may not like the WFH discussion, but it has real life & tangible implications, because this is the Chicago Economy Thread & everything that impacts it is fair game.
Again - I never once stated the contrary. Please stop putting words in my mouth. Yeah, I don't think it's worth devoting so much time and energy to talking about it because it's one of the most obvious things i've ever seen in my life - that there's impact to a local economy whether everyone is WFH or hybrid. Anybody who has half a functioning brain regarding business, economics, etc could see this from a mile away.

it's good to talk about the negative and positive of anywhere. Moderation is a good thing, but let's be real here. The actual impacts of COVID-19 are not a Chicago-only thing like a lot of people unfortunately make out a lot to be. The office market being what it is and places that had long lockdowns has been felt pretty much everywhere and one of the other main reasons I don't devote much time at all on this thread specifically is because of that. There might be indicators out there pitting different cities' vacancy rates against one another, but the impacts whether NYC, SF, Chicago, Boston, etc are very very similar, unfortunately. You could have an entire thread alone on the negative economic impacts of COVID-19 and it applies in the same way to so many places.

I for one am looking forward to more and more people supporting a local economy (as they're beginning to with restrictions in many places being lifted more and more). And my own opinion is that for my team in Chicago (yes, I have a team in Chicago - but I forgot, I don't support the local economy there in any way) I wouldn't mind if someone above me told us we're returning to the office 100%. And on that topic, my own prediction is that in about 1 year, companies will probably do less and less hybrid everywhere.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:56 PM

Kimberly-Clark relocating sales, marketing and management jobs from Neenah, WI to Fulton Market.

Regarding WFH, I think it’s going to be a wash for big cities overall. There’s going to be a moderate number of people who choose hybrid work, but there’s also significant movement of jobs from smaller cities to metropolitan downtowns happening.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...-fulton-market

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest