HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:57 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

it's so funny to see them shovel the snow out of there.

i never even thought of that -- i hope they did lol!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 11:22 PM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
Yep. Can't say I'm surprised. But the design looks great...right? Can't have those pesky ugly suicide preventives can we?! Anyone with half a brain could see this could and would sadly happen.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Yep. Can't say I'm surprised. But the design looks great...right? Can't have those pesky ugly suicide preventives can we?! Anyone with half a brain could see this could and would sadly happen.
I love the design

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 3:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Anyone with half a brain could see this could and does happen anywhere. What a ridiculous comment. People jump off bridges. People jump in front of trains. But anyone with half a brain would know that would happen, right? Please.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Anyone with half a brain could see this could and does happen anywhere. What a ridiculous comment. People jump off bridges. People jump in front of trains. But anyone with half a brain would know that would happen, right? Please.
Nice whataboutism.

Oh and 'jumping in front of a train...' really? Very disrespectful considering this site is built over tracks.

I hope you get coal in your stocking!

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 9:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the vessel is reopening -- with a $10 fee, netting and more security:

https://therealdeal.com/2021/05/26/v...-new-security/

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:51 AM
New Yorker for life

It's ridiculous that they added the fee and the exclusion of single visitors, but that hasn't diminished the crowd there. Took someone over the weekend, and we decided to skip it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 5:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 10:16 PM
New Yorker for life

As predicted, the new rules (paying, and no single visitors) did not stop today’s tragedy from happening. It may be closed to visitors for good. People will have to use one of the other countless ways to do something tragic.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/29/14-yea...-yards-vessel/

Quote:
“We are heartbroken by this tragedy and our thoughts are with the family of the young person who lost his life,” Hudson Yards spokeswoman Kimberly Winston said in a statement.

“We are conducting a full investigation. The Vessel is currently closed.”

That may be the case forever, according to the Daily Beast, which spoke to the structure’s billionaire developer Stephen Ross.

He told the outlet that he is weighing whether to shut down the Vessel for good following the latest suicide there — the fourth in two years.

“We thought we did everything that would really prevent this,” Ross said. “It’s hard to really fathom how something like that could happen.”

Sources said the boy, who is from New Jersey, was with his parents, sister and grandmother at the time — and said nothing before the fatal leap.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 11:24 PM

I would say demolish the thing and put an iconic fountain in its place like the original plan- but Ross obviously spent too much on this Heatherwick suicide booth. Yes that was an insensitive comment. Just being blunt.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 11:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I would say demolish the thing and put an iconic fountain in its place like the original plan- but Ross obviously spent too much on this Heatherwick suicide booth. Yes that was an insensitive comment. Just being blunt.
That’s a silly comment. People are constantly jumping in front of trains and iff of buildings, but no one is saying we need to get rid of those. The problem is society, and how we deal with mental health issues.

And in this case in particular, maybe the kid shouldn’t have been taken there. Either way, they will probably enclose the stairs.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/30/teen-w...-sister-guard/

Quote:
”There were lots of tourists around. The kid was racing up the stairs with his younger sister and having a blast, having so much fun,’’ said a security guard at the Manhattan tourist attraction to The Post on Friday, a day after fatal jump.

“One of my colleagues told them, ‘I know it’s fun and stuff, but you are not allowed to run in the Vessel,’ and, ‘Stay with your parents.’ Somehow, when he got to Level Eight, he jumped,” the guard said of the teen from upscale Livingston, New Jersey.

Police sources said the teen had a history of depression and had attempted suicide before.

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 31, 2021 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 4:41 PM

Therefore to the next suicide in the subway we should close permanently it...Ridicolous!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
A nice fountain made of good materials (maybe marble or something) would have been way way better than this thing.

I think we're going to see this gone eventually because it's hurting the bottom line of the developers, which is money. Tenants are not going to want to be around here and the bad publicity is tainting the place.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 7:56 PM
你的媽媽

That's unfortunate. Was hoping to visit someday. I would just enclose the openings in glass or something or some type of netting like they have up at baseball games that prevent fans from getting hit by foul balls.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
Therefore to the next suicide in the subway we should close permanently it...Ridicolous!
Right, that's the logic behind closing. The rest of us have to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
A nice fountain made of good materials (maybe marble or something) would have been way way better than this thing.

I think we're going to see this gone eventually because it's hurting the bottom line of the developers, which is money. Tenants are not going to want to be around here and the bad publicity is tainting the place.
Sorry, but a fountain, I don't care how elaborate, just wasn't gonna cut it. As far as the bottom line, this isn't tainting anything. It was free to the public (the $10 fare was added as a deterrent to possible jumpers - it didn't work). The crowds are there as usual, and will only get greater as it's tied in more directly with the rest of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
That's unfortunate. Was hoping to visit someday. I would just enclose the openings in glass or something or some type of netting like they have up at baseball games that prevent fans from getting hit by foul balls.
That seems the most logical solution, to enclose the stairs, at least high enough that no one can jump off. It wouldn't change the overall look of the thing, though from experience it would change the view from within.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture