HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 8:55 PM

Despite all the controversies, Los Angeles deserves this tower. It'll almost be 10 years when the Wilshire Grand was last built if this tower rises and the city will definitely need the supertall to accompany the Wilshire Grand and the US Bank Tower. They'll be the 3 musketeers of the city.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 12:52 AM
New Yorker for life

I'm all for it, even though the design could be better.

https://www.businessinsider.com/los-...skyline-2019-2

The tallest building in California will be a 77-story 'supertall' skyscraper in Los Angeles

Aria Bendix
Mar. 1, 2019

Quote:
At 1,107 feet, the skyscraper will surpass the height of the city's current tallest building, the Wilshire Grand. Its plan includes a mixture of condos, hotel rooms, commercial space, and additional hotel amenities.

To some extent, the skyscraper's height was borne out of necessity. The site where it could soon stand is bound by a freeway on three sides, so architects were forced to design upward rather than outward. When they realized they were close to setting a record, they decided to push the building even higher.

"We got to the point where we were so close to being the tallest that we thought, 'Why shouldn't we be?'" said Jeff DiMarzio, whose firm, DiMarzio Kato Architecture, is designing the structure.

The new building at 333 South Figueroa will buck the trend of boxy development with its sleek, tapered exterior. DiMarzio said the tower's narrow top was designed to stand out among other buildings.

"We're really trying to find a great addition to Los Angeles to give downtown an iconic tower that they can be proud of — just like New Yorkers are proud of their towers," he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 8:31 PM
Not far from Disneyland

I like how different it is from what already exists in the skyline. Wilshire Grand started the trend and this building keeps moving the needle away from the box top!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'm all for it, even though the design could be better.

https://www.businessinsider.com/los-...skyline-2019-2

The tallest building in California will be a 77-story 'supertall' skyscraper in Los Angeles

Aria Bendix
Mar. 1, 2019

This looks a lot better.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 4:46 PM

It’ll be a year and a half when he hear news about this project again. Can anyone guesstimate when this tower will break ground if all goes well?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Great news for an awesome city!

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 10:56 PM

Looks pretty good.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Can't wait to see night renderings of this tower.
I agree!

A whole lot of the newer towers in Shanghai have amazing LED's at night. Some buildings just shimmer while others have static lighting but appear to to have moving lights. Just amazing night lighting in general. China has gone too far on some buildings, however they are "Light Years" ahead of Americas' for profit; cost conscious buildings. This building could be a stunner at night! It could change opinions about how buildings are designed for night viewing.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
I agree!

A whole lot of the newer towers in Shanghai have amazing LED's at night. Some buildings just shimmer while others have static lighting but appear to to have moving lights. Just amazing night lighting in general. China has gone too far on some buildings, however they are "Light Years" ahead of Americas' for profit; cost conscious buildings. This building could be a stunner at night! It could change opinions about how buildings are designed for night viewing.
I couldn't find any night renderings, but did locate this:

https://www.architectmagazine.com/pr...-redevelopment

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 5:31 AM

Nice building.
Below that building is freeway 110 ?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 8:02 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

The evolution and transformation of the LA skyline has been nothing short of phenomenal. Beautiful tower.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 7:08 PM

Any chance this project will move forward?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 8:33 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Any chance this project will move forward?
I've barely found any info on the people behind it (Shenzhen New World Group). Perhaps there'd be more could I understand Chinese.

I wouldn't be too hopeful, and my guess would be no but who knows?

There was an article stating the project may move forward a while back but who knows what that means since it's LA. Take it with a grain of salt.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 9:28 PM

So it's a taller FMC Tower

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I've barely found any info on the people behind it (Shenzhen New World Group). Perhaps there'd be more could I understand Chinese.

I wouldn't be too hopeful, and my guess would be no but who knows?

There was an article stating the project may move forward a while back but who knows what that means since it's LA. Take it with a grain of salt.
I honestly wouldn't count on it being built. China has been restricting major capital from entering other countries.

Aside from debt as a factor, it's why Oceanwide Plaza is halted (more than $1 billion in capital) and it's why One Beverly, another $1-billion-dollar project was sold off from Chinese hands.

This tower is following the same avenue so far despite just being in the planning stages right now.

Factor in the growth in the world economy, piling debt for Chinese companies, China restricting foreign capital investments and we'll likely see this delayed 5+ years or even cancelled.

They already submitted the plans for approvals and there's no cancelling that process. If approved, you can actually just sell the project as-is.

But even then, no one's going to be investing into a space like this for 2 years minimum.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 3:27 PM

The plans are toooo detailed to get tossed in the trash. The company directly involved in the project if i remember correctly is the American subsidiary of Shenzen. So yeah its parent company is Chinese but they are kinda separate. Either way, if anything, it'll get entitlement and be sold to someone else who'll get it done.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 6:16 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
The plans are toooo detailed to get tossed in the trash. The company directly involved in the project if i remember correctly is the American subsidiary of Shenzen. So yeah its parent company is Chinese but they are kinda separate. Either way, if anything, it'll get entitlement and be sold to someone else who'll get it done.
Didn't know that, I guess that's better than directly from China in the current state of things.

Thanks for the info!

If it gets sold to someone else who's to say they'll build this colossus?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 9:02 PM

Cancelled

https://therealdeal.com/la/2022/06/2...candal-guilty/

Quote:
The next trial in the Huizar case, set for October, will focus on the real estate firm Shenzhen New World Group and its chairman, Wei Huang.
Shenzhen and Huang are alleged to have helped Huizar pay off a staffer who had accused him of sexual harassment. Shenzhen, which has pleaded not guilty, had been seeking to build a 77-story Downtown skyscraper. Huang, a fugitive, has not appeared in court.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Good riddance. I always wanted this to come to fruition, but I’m loving the Wilshire Grand as the tallest in LA.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive