HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:25 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.bkmag.com/2016/01/21/city...ite-bean-pole/

City Point’s Third Residential Tower Will Be a Bright White Bean Pole

BY NATALIE RINN

Quote:
Detailed plans for the third and final residential tower belonging to City Point—the 1.9 million square-foot commercial and residential development in Downtown Brooklyn (and home to Dekalb Market Hall)—were revealed by the building’s developer, Extell, at a Community Board 2 land use committee meeting last night.

While the first two towers (one 19 stories, the other 30 stories, with a combined 650 units) rest atop a five-story 675,000 square-foot commercial base, the Extell tower will stand apart from—i.e., way above—its neighbors, according to Brooklyn Paper. At 57 stories with 500 unites—and the color white, because it will definitely stay real clean-looking in this city—it will be one of the tallest buildings in the borough.

Like its two (now comparatively-squat) neighbors, the Extell tower will be attached to a commercial base, this one four stories and 60,000 square feet. (The commercial base anchoring the other towers is 675,000 square feet in total, with the 30,000-square-foot Market Hall in the cellar.) This is Extell’s first project in Brooklyn, and they recently got some negative press for their 33-story Lincoln Square tower in Manhattan, due to the separate market-rate and low-income entrances.

But at the meeting last night, concern from residents was far more surface level than that: How on Earth would a white facade stay snow white?

A system of bespoke squeegees, probably.

“Something that has been discussed is a custom-designed squeegee that actually washes the facades in the grooves itself. We don’t want the building to be looking filthy,” said Bruce Fischer, with KPF Architects.

Extell Vice president, Tony Mannarino, assured attendees that this was completely possible. “We have several buildings throughout New York where we’ve designed special cleaning mechanisms.”

Whew. We may be losing the battle against lots of new and often crappy residential towers throughout Kings County, but we still have our standards. Let our towers be sparkly, at least.

Construction on the 57-story bean pole will break ground this year, and is scheduled to be completed in 2019.

http://www.de-simone.com/projects/project/city-point/

Some images of the food hall construction...
http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2016...hard-hat-tour/

http://www.chainstoreage.com/article...town-brooklyn#

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 8:44 AM
A before E

It is amazing the amount of buildings that have gone up along Flatbush in the past two years. The City Point Complex is definitely looking like a good addition to the area. It will definitely be interesting to walk around that area whenever I go back to visit to just see how much it all has changed.

The white tower definitely looks better than the grey one, and it will be interesting to see the base when it is fully completed. It kind of looks like a big shipping container themed base from what I can see in the pictures.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 1:11 PM

Revealed: 138 Willoughby Street, Extell’s 59-Story Tower For City Point

REBECCA BAIRD-REMBA
APRIL 14, 2016

Quote:
Last summer, the Times reported that Extell had acquired the third and final piece of City Point, a sprawling mixed-use development in Downtown Brooklyn. The developer rolled out initial renderings for their 59-story tower at 138 Willoughby Street in January, and now we have a better look at what will eventually be one of Brooklyn’s tallest towers.

We spotted the image in a presentation for potential foreign investors, and it comes with a slew of interesting details on the development. Extell hopes to build 450 condos on top of a four-story, 68,000-square-foot retail base. The residential portion would fill 466,000 square feet.

Continue Reading

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:36 PM
DENNAB

gorgeous!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 11:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Gary should have gone for more height since it will be just condos.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 6:01 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Gary should have gone for more height since it will be just condos.
I suppose he still has time to do so, in either case the building is pretty awesome looking.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 1:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just some extra details:
==============

Gary Barnett’s Extell Development To Build Luxury Condos in Downtown Bklyn

Quote:
Gary Barnett’s Extell Development unveiled new details about its mixed-use tower at 138 Willoughby Street in the City Point expansive development, as well as a new rendering.

The massive 59-story Downtown Brooklyn building will be home to 450 condominium units in 466,000-square-feet of residential space, along with four stories of retail.

Extell predicts that the condos will sell out for $838 million and the retail space for $33 million. This Kohn Pedersen Fox- designed tower will cost $574 million to develop.

Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates is an international architectural company with locations in New York, London, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Seoul, and Abu Dhabi. The firm provides architectural design, programming, urban design, master planning and graphic design services for clients in both the public and private sectors. Their extensive portfolio, that spans over 33 years, includes designs ranging from civic and cultural spaces to high-rise office buildings and luxury residential and hotel projects, as well as master plans for new sustainable cities and campuses around the world.

They’ll be no need to clean your windows if you plan to reside there. The building will have automatic window cleaners like those that are part of the plan for Extell’s One57 exclusive condominium complex on West 57th street.

The 21,500 square foot City Point building was purchased by Barnett’s for $120 million from Washington Square Partners and Acadia Realty Trust.

The tremendous T1.8 million-square-foot City Point development already has two residential buildings, at 19 and 31 stories, developed by BFC Partners and the Brodsky Organization, as well as a four-story mall built by Washington Square and Acadia.

Extell Development Company is an American real estate developer of residential, commercial, retail, hospitality, and mixed-use properties. Founded in 1989 by Gary Barnett, the company’s portfolio exceeds 20 million square feet. The company has between 125 and 150 employees.

Born on the lower east side as Gershon Swiatycki, Barnett’s father, Chaim Swiatycki was a rabbi and Talmudic scholar. He later moved to Monsey, New York. He received his Bachelor of Arts in math from Queens College and received a Master of Economics degree from Hunter College

According to a survey conducted by The Real Deal, Extell is the most active builder in Manhattan, with at least 11 active projects that total 5.7 million square feet.
==========================
http://jewishvoiceny.com/index.php?o...ork&Itemid=295

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:11 AM
New Yorker for life

I'm not completely sold on this design, though I guess it's meant to blend in with the other towers.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:24 AM
Show me the blueprints

I'm not just put saying this to be a knee jerk skyscraper fan, but it really should be taller. Do they have development rights for more sq ft but aren't using?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 12:50 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'm not completely sold on this design, though I guess it's meant to blend in with the other towers.
I am not either, but I am very happy that it is a lot more slender than the first two towers which I feel look a bit squat and chunky.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 7:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 6:16 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
I am not either, but I am very happy that it is a lot more slender than the first two towers which I feel look a bit squat and chunky.

^ yeah its more slender than the rest so that is good. and i like that street level base well enough.

the tower itself is eh and for sure too short. although with that mediocre at best design i don't think it matters much.

the newest render from spring seems a bit rushed and its disappointing. hopefully we will get another more detailed round of them and a better look later on.

steady work at citypoint, but boy this one has been a long time coming.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 12:13 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: JC_Heights

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 9:10 PM

Judging by those pics it looks like this will be underway soon. None of the taller proposals are as far along so it looks like this could temporarily at least take the crown of tallest building in the city outside of Manhattan. 34 feet taller than One Court Square in LIC.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 3:09 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm still waiting for 9 Dekalb. As much as a new tallest for Brooklyn is nice to have and watch its rise, just knowing the JDS masterpiece is looming to rise kinda makes this project seem not as exciting. Because once that project starts, all attention will be on 9 Dekalb. Its just in a class of its own. Its the Maybach of towers, and this... this is a Civic.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 2:20 AM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm still waiting for 9 Dekalb. As much as a new tallest for Brooklyn is nice to have and watch its rise, just knowing the JDS masterpiece is looming to rise kinda makes this project seem not as exciting. Because once that project starts, all attention will be on 9 Dekalb. Its just in a class of its own. Its the Maybach of towers, and this... this is a Civic.
I truly thought I was the only one who felt this way.

I used to love this project (especially couldn't wait for this phase). But once 9 Dekalb released their renderings - this fall to the back.

9 Dekalb is my primary scraper in the entire city atm. I can't wait until it starts to dominate its rise.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:09 PM

Work on Brooklyn's Next Tallest Building Now Well Underway; Extell Skyscraper to Soar 696-Feet High
February 6, 2017
Quote:
The third and final phase of Downtown Brooklyn’s 1.9-million-square-foot CityPoint development is now well under construction. A recent site visit shows that excavators and earth movers are busy picking away at the rectangular chunk of Brooklyn soil at 138 Willoughby Street, between Albee Square West and Flatbush Avenue Extension. Set to soar 696 feet tall, per recently approved permits, the building is expected to finish in two to three years —well before the much-taller 9 Dekalb, positioned one block to the south. Brooklyn is in the midst of its own modern-day skyscraper race, with the title for Brooklyn’s tallest having been claimed by 5 different buildings since 2009: One Hanson, Brooklyner, 388 Bridge Street, AVA DoBro and soon-to-be-finished Hub.

More PICTURES & INFO in the post here.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 9:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I like the gradual progression to a super tall.

1) One Hanson
2) Brooklyner
3) 388 Bridge Street
4) AVA DoBro
5) Hub

Now

6) CityPoint Phase III

and the one we are all waiting for

7) 9 Dekalb

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:40 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just to illustrate how big DoBro has gotten! As of this month.

On a side note, check out One Manhattan Square on the LES, now imagine 4 more equally sized if not larger towers near it. That's the future people! Use 56 Leonard and 99 Church to visualize 850-950 ft for the LES. One super tall included.

Untitled by Billy, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive