Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Nathan Rourke looks like the real deal.
386 yards & 5 TDs
…..
In the first half.

In other news:
Hamilton plays Jekyll & Hyde from first to second half again.
There can no longer be any doubts about Nathan Rourke. He is now a legitimate marquee name at QB.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 10:47 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Damn.

I am really worried about this league and its future.

Even devout season ticket holders I know in Edmonton are tuning out/off and while it is partially due to the effort on the field, they are busy with other things and football seems to be something they are letting slide.
Yeah it’s not a good situation. It seems Covid might have been the final nail in the coffin for the CFL. I know the league has survived down periods before but this seems different.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 1:15 AM

I can't understand the Chicken Little attitudes that some people go on about and have been going on about for 40 years. I have actually read an SI article in the 80s about the imminent demise of the CFL.

And some of these people are the same people who think the league should expand. WTF?

The league has solid ownership (which hasn't always been the case). That's why I post about owner's finances (see Doman above) Sponsorship has risen in some of the team articles I have seen.

TV ratings are still good, I just read an article about One Soccer getting screwed by Rogers (quelle surprise) by trying to get in their cable packages so despite what some folk say there is still value in that.

Many people still don't want to have to juggle several different providers and want all their options in one space. Also, it should be pointed out that streaming services (despite being the flavour of the day) can be volatile. Netflix lost one million subscribers last quarter and has lost subscribers for the past two quarters. Nothing is etched in stone

And lastly I'll ask the question I always ask and which has yet to be answered. How does this sky is falling talk help the situation? Do you think that will help engage new fans or turn them off? To the NFL people I say, go there and let the rest of us be and let us get on with it.

The whole idea is like what Doman is doing, changing a mindset over generations, if need be. My analogy is it takes time to gain weight and it takes time to lose it, there are no easy roads. No one thought that the first Lions home game would continue all the attendance it had. It was all part of getting the buzz out there and building, slowly but surely. The Argos have mistakenly tried all the quick fixes, they don't work, you have to recapture generations over generations.

So there's no need to be concerned, if you're worried about dying don't keep doing the behaviours that will help get you there, do the things that will make you better. But being negative is easy, putting your nose to the grindstone is hard.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:06 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Damn.

I am really worried about this league and its future.

Even devout season ticket holders I know in Edmonton are tuning out/off and while it is partially due to the effort on the field, they are busy with other things and football seems to be something they are letting slide.
Average for the year across the CFL so far is 20688. Not fantastic, but not terrible.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:07 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There can no longer be any doubts about Nathan Rourke. He is now a legitimate marquee name at QB.
The stat that is staggering is the 81.3% completion rate. 300 yards a game plus that is going to win a lot of games. Just so efficient.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The stat that is staggering is the 81.3% completion rate. 300 yards a game plus that is going to win a lot of games. Just so efficient.
His QB efficiency rating is 133.2, next best among regular QBs is Collaros with 105.4. He leads the league in passing yards, passing TDs, is 8th in rushing and 4th in rushing TDs (amongst all players) He has also played less games than Evans and Collaros.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:34 PM

Impressive numbers. But ahem, speaking of rushing... may I point out that Brady Oliveira is now just 24 yards behind the league leader, Jamal Morrow?

I think it's fair to say that the Bomber running game is shaping up to be better than many expected. Oliveira is silencing the critics more and more with every game he plays.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:08 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
His QB efficiency rating is 133.2, next best among regular QBs is Collaros with 105.4. He leads the league in passing yards, passing TDs, is 8th in rushing and 4th in rushing TDs (amongst all players) He has also played less games than Evans and Collaros.
Completely. He is so far ahead of anyone else for MOP right now.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 5:50 PM

All this talk about the Bombers and you never hear about the architects, The Canadian Mafia.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
All this talk about the Bombers and you never hear about the architects, The Canadian Mafia.
Plenty of chatter in Winnipeg about them. They are not taken for granted by Bomber fans.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Plenty of chatter in Winnipeg about them. They are not taken for granted by Bomber fans.
I would hope so, I was speaking of the scene in general.

Just wondering what people think about the rookie Doman taking on the corporate conglomerate MLSE, looks good on them.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:15 PM
arf

4-0 for 26-9.

Montreal @ Winnipeg: still not picking against them.
Toronto @ Hamilton: Hamilton puts more of a game together.
BC @ Calgary: whew, this is tough one. The only team I'm picking over Calgary is Winnipeg until proven otherwise. Should be an interesting one though.
SK @ Edmonton: is having Fajardo back after a bye week enough? Maybe, but this is going to be way closer than it should be. I'm really close to picking Edmonton here.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
4-0 for 26-9.

Montreal @ Winnipeg: still not picking against them.
Toronto @ Hamilton: Hamilton puts more of a game together.
BC @ Calgary: whew, this is tough one. The only team I'm picking over Calgary is Winnipeg until proven otherwise. Should be an interesting one though.
SK @ Edmonton: is having Fajardo back after a bye week enough? Maybe, but this is going to be way closer than it should be. I'm really close to picking Edmonton here.
This is an improvement. Ottawa not predicted to lose. Oh, they are not playing this week.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 6:55 PM

Apparently Argos were caught piping in fake cowbell sound at BMO last week to make the crowd sound larger than what it was. Glad to see the massive MLSE resources and machine fully behind rebuilding the Argos fan base bahahahaha

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 6:57 PM

Cfl attendance Twitter feed saying Bombers should draw 29,000 tommrow night and Stampeders 25,000

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:18 PM

So I went 3-1 on the week to go 26-9. The Argos have spoiled the last couple of weeks for me, by losing and then by winning.

Here are this week's picks:

Montreal @ Winnipeg: The Bombers will get better with Greg Ellingson back. At some point hubris will get the better of the slow-starting Bombers, but not this week. Winnipeg.
Toronto @ Hamilton: I don't know. It's a coin toss. I'll take the Ticats again and probably be wrong again. Hamilton.
BC @ Calgary: Tough matchup to predict. The Lions are a 2 point favourite. I have no reason to argue. BC.
Saskatchewan @ Edmonton: Edmonton is a basketcase. Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:25 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Cfl attendance Twitter feed saying Bombers should draw 29,000 tommrow night and Stampeders 25,000
I am going with the family to the Bombers game tomorrow - hoping for a loud and entertaining game. First CFL game for the kids.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:27 PM
arf

Quote:
So I went 3-1 on the week to go 26-9. The Argos have spoiled the last couple of weeks for me, by losing and then by winning.

Here are this week's picks:

Montreal @ Winnipeg: The Bombers will get better with Greg Ellingson back. At some point hubris will get the better of the slow-starting Bombers, but not this week. Winnipeg.
Toronto @ Hamilton: I don't know. It's a coin toss. I'll take the Ticats again and probably be wrong again. Hamilton.
BC @ Calgary: Tough matchup to predict. The Lions are a 2 point favourite. I have no reason to argue. BC.
Saskatchewan @ Edmonton: Edmonton is a basketcase. Saskatchewan.
One game different. Someone is going to leading the way after this week.

I'm shocked -- and totally jinxing it -- at how well we've done with our picks this year.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am going with the family to the Bombers game tomorrow - hoping for a loud and entertaining game. First CFL game for the kids.
That's awesome. The atmosphere has been so good at Bomber games over the last couple of seasons... I bet they'll love it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:32 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada