HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 5:52 AM

Mission Rock

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 7:50 AM
heavy user of walkability

Ferry terminal

initial work has started on the ferry terminal project. that is the dredging barge in action on the left

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 2:21 AM

Uber

bayfront park by Chase Center; still looks inactive

Crane Cove Park coming along... this is at the north end by the Ramp, wraps off the now-decorative piece of old machinery

moving south...

Third and 20th, all wrapped up

the mid-block passage at 950 Tennessee is open and turned out good, I think. and was used by several sets of people in the few mins I was by there

the Minnesota side

UCSF Psychiatry Center

looking at Psychiatry Center from 2177 Third

... and from the latter to the former

Vision Neurosciences building and Third St

they're finishing the sidewalk work on the SW corner of Third and 16th in front of the new wing of the hospital

Fourth St

block 6W

hotel on Channel

work along the creek. they don't seem to be in a hurry here

block 9W behind the public safety building

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 12:12 AM

fencing and scaffolding is down around the CCA student housing in Showplace Square. again, not a beaut, but nice to have the area cleaned up and activated a bit. moving around it from north to south

remember they squared off the corner on the west side to 90 degrees, which made some room for a seating area with tree

1 de Haro has a lot more glass now

looking north from AltaPotrero at both CCA and 1 de Haro

88 Arkansas

UCSF Psychiatry

landscaping all in at 950 Tennessee. think that takes care of this one

at Crane Cove Park, this is where 19th St will enter at the south end

it is looking about ready

when they widened the eastern portion of Mariposa a while back, they didn't completely repave it, and now it is apparent why: they are dealing with something subsurface near the intersection with Third

the SW corner of Third and 16th is now open

dredging for the ferry landing continues

(no pic, but the bayfront park site still looked inactive)

block 9W from the south side

work along the creek

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 10:01 PM

Crane Cove Park open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
at Crane Cove Park, ... it is looking about ready
and, it was open yesterday! moving in roughly a counter-clockwise circle starting at the south end

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 10:14 PM

these are still from last week...

UCSF Psychiatry, Tennessee St side

the creek work seen from Third

the hotel

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:58 PM

Not my video but it shows the surrounding area of Mission Bay (Oct 20)

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 9:14 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Not my video but it shows the surrounding area of Mission Bay (Oct 20)

Video Link
The window washing track around the perimeter of the roof is p cool! Looks like not much is happening with Bayfront Park though.

Seems like this area is still lacking in pedestrian activity and life in comparison to the rest of the city though. You'd think you'd start to see more joggers or people out walking their dogs and whatnot by now. Do they need to build more housing and grocery stores and other daily convenience stores? Or is it still too early to draw any conclusions?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Seems like this area is still lacking in pedestrian activity and life in comparison to the rest of the city though. You'd think you'd start to see more joggers or people out walking their dogs and whatnot by now. Do they need to build more housing and grocery stores and other daily convenience stores? Or is it still too early to draw any conclusions?
Haha, I have actually jogged around the area with my gf a couple of times but on the weekend. People usually jog around Chase Center towards Oracle Park

For pedestrian activity, I find that Spark Social and the mini golf across the street caters to that during covid times. Then sometimes we bring our dogs on the weekend to Mission Bay Dog Park. (I haven't gone up to SF from SJ in awhile, as you can tell from my lack of photo posts in the past month+)

I do think that the Bayfront Park would help activate the area more.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 2:14 AM

I live on Illinois and there is a ton of foot traffic by the water and the new string of parks. Crane Cove Park is absolutely packed since opening, it’s really nice. Once they get Bayfront Park done there will be an incredible string of parks in Mission Bay/Dogpatch, from Spark Social all the way down to Crane Cove!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:05 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The window washing track around the perimeter of the roof is p cool! Looks like not much is happening with Bayfront Park though.

Yeah, not quite like the renderings...I still imagine it with greenspace around the arena and lots of people hanging out!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 2:17 PM

UCSF's new vision center has officially opened.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/11/41...ology-programs

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 10:25 PM

First rendering I think I've seen for UCSF's Block 34 project bounded by Third, Mariposa, Illinois, and the new vision center. New clinical building in the middle of the block (left side of image) and a parking garage at the south end (right side of image).

I know that pre-COVID, the schedule called for the garage to be completed in 2021-22 and the clinical building in 2023-24, but I don't know if that has been pushed back at all.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 2:44 PM

I know piles have been going in for a while, but Block 9W has now had an official groundbreaking. Completion projected for late next year, which seems quick to me.

https://sfmayor.org/article/mayor-lo...-mission-bay-0

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Plans to develop Mission Bay's last unplanned site head to Planning Commission
By Laura Waxmann – Staff Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Nov 18, 2020, 2:56pm PST Updated Nov 18, 2020, 3:37pm PST

The San Francisco Planning Commission on Thursday will consider whether to grant Alexandria Real Estate Equities permission to build a seven-story, 183,000-square-foot life sciences building on the last unplanned piece of developable land in Mission Bay.

The Pasadena developer’s vision for the trapezoid-shaped 1.13-acre swath known at 1450 Owens St. — known as Parcel 7, Lot 43 — calls for a 109-foot building containing roughly 133,000 square feet of laboratory use, just under 50,000 square feet of office and 2,600 square feet of ground-floor retail.

To bring that vision to life, the Mission Bay South Redevelopment plan must be amended to increase the cap on the commercial uses allowed at Mission Bay, a limit that was approved more than a decade ago.

The commission must also OK amending the plan to increase the allowed building height on the site, which is currently set at 39 feet, and it must approve up to 49,999 square feet from the city’s small office cap for the proposed project. Construction of the office component must begin within 18 months.

Alexandria (NYSE: ARE) first unveiled its proposal for Parcel 7 three years ago. At the time, the plans were to build an 11-story, 175,000-square-foot building for biotech labs, a life sciences incubator and Alexandria’s new regional headquarters.

In a memo issued in December, Nadia Sesay, executive director of the city’s Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure, indicated the developer’s plan was for 150,000 square feet.

The latest plans filed with the San Francisco Planning Department and designed by IwamotoScott Architecture and associate Powell Architecture call for a seven-story building that faces Owens Street and is entered through a “privately owned, publicly available plaza with planting, benches, and bike parking.”

Planning staff has recommended approval of the amendments. Alexandria on Wednesday declined to comment on its proposal.

The Mission Bay South Redevelopment Project Area is one of two established in 1998 that make up the Mission Bay development, which spans 302 acres between the San Francisco Bay and Interstate 280.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...J5M3BZaElXTyJ9

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 2:21 PM

SFUSD showed off plans for the upcoming Mission Bay elementary school:

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/sfus...entary-school/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 4:09 AM

The Recology site on 7th Street is now going to be an Amazon distribution center rather than housing. They paid $200 million for the property.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...r-15801880.php

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 5:37 PM

People seem to be divided on this project. Many support the deal while many say it should have been housing

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahuatzi View Post
People seem to be divided on this project. Many support the deal while many say it should have been housing
"the site is currently zoned for industrial use but not housing" (in the linked Chronicle piece). That, I think, says it all. A city needs land for many uses. If we turn every piece of buildable land in San Francisco into housing, the people who live in that housing will have to drive out of the city to jobs (or commute online) and we will all have to drive out of the city to buy gas or almost anything else (and for those enamored of online shopping as I am, that's what this Amazon facility would be all about).

I say go with the existing zoning which was, presumably, designated after some master planning and thought.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
A city needs land for many uses. If we turn every piece of buildable land in San Francisco into housing...

I say go with the existing zoning which was, presumably, designated after some master planning and thought.
I agree that the city needs diverse zoning based on a long term vision as well as near term needs. Any zoning can (and should) change when there is a reasonable justification, but spot zoning for a single lot is a bit... mmm shortsighted.

I can't say for sure without being well-versed in the more recent history of the zoning in the area but have to imagine its proximity to rail (which was far more influential / integrated into this part of the city up until, what, the 70s?) influenced its PDR zoning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development