HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Don't forget schools. That's a big one. The other two you mentioned are definitely important as well. There is a noticeable difference between QOL issues in Center City/University City and the outlying neighborhoods though. I don't think there are any real big "quality of life" issues in the more central parts of the city.

Also, don't forget that job growth has outpaced population growth in the city for the past few years. Business tax reform would be great and all, but we still seem to be doing pretty well at the moment.
well outlying neighborhoods covers a lot of territory. I wouldn't generalize. Mt. Airy and Roxborough are quite a bit different from central north philly or west philly proper or Kensington. In some outlying areas issues such as homelessness and dumpster juice are non-issues so in that regard those largely residential areas aren't facing some of the QOL issues the core faces. CC doesn't face issues of violent crime or property abandonment faced by the areas north and west of the core, but it faces other annoyances that don't really touch the more stable outlying neighborhoods.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 8:17 PM

Test Boring.

Yesterday and again today. This is the location of the eventual south tower.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 8:24 PM

Bring it on!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 8:32 PM

We give PMC a lot of very justifiable crap but, say what you will about Mussolini at least the trains ran on time. By that I mean, when they want to do a project they usually get it done.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 2:30 AM

12/20/2016

Soil samples where the North tower would sit

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 1:21 PM
BANNED

^looks like this might really be happening.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 6:28 AM

From LSNA's February Zoning Report:

Quote:
23rd & Arch St.; PMC River Walk, request for an ordinance similar to what was approved previously for this property in regards to proposed zoning changes. The ordinance is proposed to sunset in 3 to 5 years if not constructed, and it is recommended to include provisions restricting the phased development to the plans, height, and uses currently proposed. Major concerns about traffic especially on Cherry Street with respect to retail loading which may necessitate a wider street at the loading entrance and tractor trailers routed through the residential neighborhood to access the loading dock. The developer suggests linking the existing pedestrian and bike path along railroad to this development but does not include it on the site plan. The Arch street access is more of an entrance drive than an civic extension of Arch street; better pedestrian connections to the existing street and community access is encourage, perhaps culminating at a raised river over-look open to the public.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...dmYjI5NjJlMzAw

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:22 AM

PMC made a final presentation to LSNA this week. Does anyone have any details?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
PMC made a final presentation to LSNA this week. Does anyone have any details?
My hope is that LSNA will do everything/anything they can to cause this project to be redesigned. I know its a long shot. But one can hope

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 9:21 PM

My hope is that LSNA will allow this project to move forward quickly with one exception, access to the rivers path. Doesn't seem like much of a long shot. One can only hope.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 8:25 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
My hope is that LSNA will allow this project to move forward quickly with one exception, access to the rivers path. Doesn't seem like much of a long shot. One can only hope.
I'd love to see Banks access here, but if you want a grade-separated crossing, you'd better bet the entire complex would have to be designed around that. This lone requirement would necessitate re-design of the entire podium level IMO.

I'd rather they just pony up some money to build a bridge over the tracks at Cherry with ramp access from Race.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I'd love to see Banks access here, but if you want a grade-separated crossing, you'd better bet the entire complex would have to be designed around that. This lone requirement would necessitate re-design of the entire podium level IMO.

I'd rather they just pony up some money to build a bridge over the tracks at Cherry with ramp access from Race.
I wish this developments planning was tied in better to the 30th Street Station District Plan. I would prefer a pedestrian bridge at Cherry St AND a road connecting bridge at Race St (oneway east) instead of the propose Race St pedestrian bridge plus another trail connection north of Vine St Exp.

something like this:

(this is an old mock up from before the official District 30 Plan came out. hence the different layout and buildings)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 3:45 PM

The tracks are a hard thing to build around because they're incredibly active; it's the CSX line straight from the airport yards heading towards Norristown/New York

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
The tracks are a hard thing to build around because they're incredibly active; it's the CSX line straight from the airport yards heading towards Norristown/New York
I'd put money on a bet that within 10 years the City somehow convinces the effected parties to vacate these tracks and move the trains to our west side working version of the high line.
Wishful thinking------------? The City should think that instead of spending millions in trying to work around the tracks, overpasses and boardwalks in the river, to spend the same (+-) to make the tracks go away.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 9:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I'd put money on a bet that within 10 years the City somehow convinces the effected parties to vacate these tracks and move the trains to our west side working version of the high line.
Wishful thinking------------? The City should think that instead of spending millions in trying to work around the tracks, overpasses and boardwalks in the river, to spend the same (+-) to make the tracks go away.
dont see that ever happening. You don't see new rail lines run in urban areas for a reason. This route is likely very valuable and any diversion of trains around this area would probably add many hours to each trip. Which of course would cost CSX many millions per year.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
dont see that ever happening. You don't see new rail lines run in urban areas for a reason. This route is likely very valuable and any diversion of trains around this area would probably add many hours to each trip. Which of course would cost CSX many millions per year.
Right. And why you saw New York spend insane sums to build Hudson Yards over an active railyard rather than try to reroute the tracks somehow.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Penn and Drexel will block any attempt to do that.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Penn and Drexel will block any attempt to do that.
While it is slightly feasible, as the highline used to be 2 track and is now 1, the east side tracks are much more valuable because they directly connect to the line to NYC, whereas for some strange reason the west side doesn't, despite going right next to it for a spell.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 2:24 AM

A couple of notes...

I would guesstimate that there are about 25 trains a day that go by Philly on the High Line or the old B&O line on the east bank of the river. When Oil was at it's peak I'd say that was more like 35. It is a North-South route for CSX between New York and Baltimore.

The High Line is incredibly old (113 years to be exact) but is really needed as an alternate route through the city. Otherwise a log jam would form. So you really can't route everything over the High Line and you can't route everything down the B&O line along the river.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:16 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
I doubt it. Those tracks are the CSX mainline, and Drexel looks at the High Line and thinks "park" even though those tracks are just as active.

I mean, if the city wants to gift CSX a new long-distance bypass of the city, that'd easily cost in the tens of billions. But it's pretty much the only way to convince CSX to vacate their Center City-adjacent rights-of-way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
A couple of notes...

I would guesstimate that there are about 25 trains a day that go by Philly on the High Line or the old B&O line on the east bank of the river. When Oil was at it's peak I'd say that was more like 35. It is a North-South route for CSX between New York and Baltimore.

The High Line is incredibly old (113 years to be exact) but is really needed as an alternate route through the city. Otherwise a log jam would form. So you really can't route everything over the High Line and you can't route everything down the B&O line along the river.
The biggest issue is actually clearance. Double-stack trains have to be routed over the High Line; the Fairmount Tunnel under Eakins Oval doesn't have the clearance. The second biggest issue is that CSX and NS trains share the High Line, as NS uses it to access Greenwich Yard down by the Port.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive