HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 11:39 PM

The 1998 mayoral election was the first one I was allowed to vote in. I remember supporting Peter Kaufmann, not because I understood what his politics were, but because Murray was the “NDP” candidate. That was a bad word in the household I grew up in.

Flash forward 24 years and I’ve become much wiser (and a lot more centrist). I’ll be supporting Murray this time. Looking back on his time as mayor, he was probably one of the most transformative one we’ve had in a generation or two.

Esplande Riel, Hydro Place and MTS centre. Now it wasn’t all him, he had a major ally on Broadway. If he wins and when Wab becomes premier next year, I feel like we can replicate what he and Doer did downtown, in the early 2000s.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
fixed
lmao.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Her husband is a partner in MNP's tax services group. He also ran for the Canadian Alliance in 2000. Nothing to do with construction.
John Motkaluk, her brother cousin wahtever, Bayview Construction/RockyRoad.

I remember this form last election. "Big times roads money for my fam" was her shtick.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 12:11 AM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
River Heights and Fort Rouge will go for Murray. St James and Tuxedo likely Gillingham North End likely Falcon Ouellette. Motkaluk likely Transcona. The rest of the city i don't know how the suburbs will play out.
Motkaluk beat out Bowman last election by over 11% in Mynarski. She is extremely popular here because she grew up here. You might be surprised how much support she receives.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Motkaluk beat out Bowman last election by over 11% in Mynarski. She is extremely popular here because she grew up here. You might be surprised how much support she receives.
I won't be I think she has a legitimate chance of winning as she has the entire right wing political field to herself right now while the other 10 battle for the left and centre left vote.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 12:52 AM

Motkaluk could be very popular with the blue collar vote

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Her husband is a partner in MNP's tax services group. He also ran for the Canadian Alliance in 2000. Nothing to do with construction.
I think her brother is an owner at Bayview Construction.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I think her brother is an owner at Bayview Construction.
OK, so she's running on a "let's support the family business" platform. Good to know.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:41 PM
North End Troublemaker

I know everyone here is jumping on the Glen Murray bandwagon, but should we be concerned that his Official Agent is the guy who led the charge against the 11 (12?) story building on Bannatyne?

John Giavedoni is the ED of Residents' of the Exchange District, who spearheaded gathering signatures and people out to the Appeal meeting for this building. For an urbanist it's a bit worrisome.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:56 PM

I think people should be concerned about vote splits on the left here as Motkaluk has huge real estate on the right as her only possible concern is Gillingham but they are very very different types of conservative and have entirely different constituencies.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 6:12 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I know everyone here is jumping on the Glen Murray bandwagon, but should we be concerned that his Official Agent is the guy who led the charge against the 11 (12?) story building on Bannatyne?

John Giavedoni is the ED of Residents' of the Exchange District, who spearheaded gathering signatures and people out to the Appeal meeting for this building. For an urbanist it's a bit worrisome.
I saw that and had the same thought. They should keep him in the background. Murray did speak about that tower proposal in that podcast and said it was dumb that it was altered.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 6:14 PM
surely you agree with me

I personally think Murray will suck a lot of voters from gillingham. Out of the ten I might have voted for him as a least worst option. Murray gives me a person to vote for who I actually believe in.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 6:36 PM

https://twitter.com/ScottGillingham/...34712248385537

Gillingham sinking claws into Murray already.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 6:42 PM

Gillingham is so bland and the opposite of what the city needs right now

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
https://twitter.com/ScottGillingham/...34712248385537

Gillingham sinking claws into Murray already.
What a pile of horseshit. The reason the City's credit rating is so solid now is because of the work that Susan Thompson and Glen Murray did to stabilize the ship. Thompson rolled out the Financial Management Plan and Murray stuck to it, leading to a major improvement in the City's financial situation. The City was in bad shape financially prior to that.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What a pile of horseshit. The reason the City's credit rating is so solid now is because of the work that Susan Thompson and Glen Murray did to stabilize the ship. Thompson rolled out the Financial Management Plan and Murray stuck to it, leading to a major improvement in the City's financial situation. The City was in bad shape financially prior to that.
Well said. People like to blame Murry and Thompson alot. But they did ALOT of good for this city. And I definitely will be voting for Murry. He's actually one of the few in his breif talks that has a plan to tackle the bus shelter situation or at least it's a priority for him. And transit safety. You fix those two glaring holes in this city you can take it anywhere really. As those are always so visible to everyone . Developers don't want to build next to a homeless shelter bus shack. People don't want to work close to one. People don't use transit as it's unsafe in some areas. Heck we have a hard time getting drivers for the busses.

I know the road , the road , the road...... Since I was born in 1972 the roads have always been an issue. That should be been our slogan actually lol.

I remember when Murry first ran though and all the freaken homophobic clowns see out. I'm hoping this city has evolved since then. I'm sure we'll see soon.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Well said. People like to blame Murry and Thompson alot. But they did ALOT of good for this city. And I definitely will be voting for Murry. He's actually one of the few in his breif talks that has a plan to tackle the bus shelter situation or at least it's a priority for him. And transit safety. You fix those two glaring holes in this city you can take it anywhere really. As those are always so visible to everyone . Developers don't want to build next to a homeless shelter bus shack. People don't want to work close to one. People don't use transit as it's unsafe in some areas. Heck we have a hard time getting drivers for the busses.

I know the road , the road , the road...... Since I was born in 1972 the roads have always been an issue. That should be been our slogan actually lol.

I remember when Murry first ran though and all the freaken homophobic clowns see out. I'm hoping this city has evolved since then. I'm sure we'll see soon.
Odd comment considering he was successfully elected almost 25 years ago as an openly gay man. It clearly wasn't a wide spread viewpoint then, it certainly won't be one now.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 7:28 PM
surely you agree with me

gloves are off, baby.

I'm waiting for Portage and Main to become an issue again.....will murray open portage and main against the wishes of 2/3 of winnipeg voters?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
John Motkaluk, her brother cousin wahtever, Bayview Construction/RockyRoad.

I remember this form last election. "Big times roads money for my fam" was her shtick.
That's blatant corruption. Degenerate drunk seems like she doesn't know what she's saying half the time.

Who wants another round of Scamming Sam Katz, but without the sense to even hide it?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
That's blatant corruption. Degenerate drunk seems like she doesn't know what she's saying half the time.

Who wants another round of Scamming Sam Katz, but without the sense to even hide it?
This entire city and province are so corrupt it’s not even funny. The mafia built our city’s police headquarters for fuck sakes. Like… how much more corrupt can you get?? S+J built true north square too, and the company is still being awarded provincial contracts. How? It’s pretty much common knowledge that a large chunk of Winnipeg home builders are all mafia run.
This goes right up to the top, we’re probably worse than Montreal ever was for construction industry corruption but nobody cares. Just imagine motkaluk in the mayors chair. Free reign to pad her families and friends pockets. It’ll be worse than Sam Katz.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan