HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 10:52 PM

https://nitter.ca/brent_bellamy/stat...85217918795777

jfc some of the comments on this... "Doing the thing that's currently happening would be impossible!"

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 12:24 AM

The new Ronald McDonald House at McDermot & Juno is coming along. Fully closed in now, I think. Will try and get a picture when I have a chance.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 5:47 AM
surely you agree with me

I can’t wait to see it finished. It’s pretty wacky. Surprised they didn’t want something a bit more home-like.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 2:24 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the eatons house was demolished today aparently on welington cres

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the eatons house was demolished today aparently on welington cres
Why would a Home on the Manitoba Histoircal List come down and what has prevented the media not been all over this like with 514 Welington cr last time a gorgeous mansion was being destroyed on favor of building a cement box with linear slits for windows??

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 12:33 PM

The Capri motel on Pembina Highway is being demolished. Was in a sad state after a fire a few years ago and the collapsed roof was never repaired. Wonder what is planned for that site?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
The Capri motel on Pembina Highway is being demolished. Was in a sad state after a fire a few years ago and the collapsed roof was never repaired. Wonder what is planned for that site?
Apartments I’m guessing

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Apartments I’m guessing
Seems to be the trend.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 6:01 PM

That site should be well within the Plaza Station TOD zone, no?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 6:28 PM

^ It’s legit right next to the station and across the street from the Tavern. The walk score of 58 is not too shabby either and the transit service beside the Blue line is still decent. Hope they can get 200+ units on whatever is being built. With the 16-storey proposal across the street being approved and all the new midrises on Pembina it would be great to finally see a 20+ storey building on the stroad. The Capri site definitely has the footprint to make it possible.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Why would a Home on the Manitoba Histoircal List come down and what has prevented the media not been all over this like with 514 Welington cr last time a gorgeous mansion was being destroyed on favor of building a cement box with linear slits for windows??
Supposedly the foundation was to far gone and the owners couldn't save the house. The new house will use brick from the old house and is similar in design. It honestly sounded legitimate that the house couldn't be saved. And the owners are trying hard to replicate what was there. I guess we will see. I'm on the fence on this one.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 4:26 PM

Speaking of Plaza Dr and the densification of the area around RT.

There really is significant work going on in the “Refinery District”
Ironclad developments posted this more updated rendering with of the entire “neighborhood” as they call it. The last one Hopewell shared wasn’t so detailed and accurate. (Minus the surrounding of course lol)

Notice the two taller white towers in the north east corner. I wonder if that’s in ironclads lots. Also, interestingly enough they’re the ones building the tower behind their Onyx project on Pembina.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 7:20 PM

/\ Great suburban design.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 7:52 PM

^Agreed this should be the standard for suburban development in Winnipeg going forward.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:17 AM

That's fucking dire. Car-dependent dystopia. No one is going to walk or bike to those parking lot infested strip malls. Everyone will have to drive to their jobs offsite, and there are no hints at schools or every day amenities. Would you allow your 10 year old to walk to the store? If not, it's a massive fail. There isn't even a connection to the Blue Line yet.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
That's fucking dire. Car-dependent dystopia. No one is going to walk or bike to those parking lot infested strip malls. Everyone will have to drive to their jobs offsite, and there are no hints at schools or every day amenities. Would you allow your 10 year old to walk to the store? If not, it's a massive fail. There isn't even a connection to the Blue Line yet.
Newmarket Blvd has bike lanes and all the stores are facing the street. The aerial view clearly showcases the parking being hidden on Ballantrae, Scurfield, and Newmarket Blvd. You also need to consider that the area is pretty compact. To get from the Plaza station to GoodLife Fitness is at most a 10 minute walk once the connection to the blue line is completed (hopefully should be soon now that Ironclad finished their building).

What is not even considered in your post is the fact that across the blue line there’s a commercial strip on Pembina with loads of amenities as well. The stores on Plaza have an Indian, Persian, Chinese, and Korean grocers. I would have no problem letting my kids walk to those stores as long as they don’t cross Pembina.

The kids that would live in this area are most likely going to attend Bonnycastle, Arthur A Leach, and then Vincent Massey or FRC. The Blue line stops at all of these schools except Massey with FRC and Leach on the St. Norbert Route. Of course the Transitway also has the dedicated AT path so I would argue it’s safer for kids to cycle to school then in most areas of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
Quite an exaggeration, wouldn’t you think?

There is not a single, single-family home within the development.
It’s full of green spaces, bike paths, literately next to the blue line and a wide variety of amenities within a short distance of the residential areas.

It’s not perfect, but it’s much better than the absolute waste of space that was there before.

And yes, if I lived there I would also let my kids walk to the store. (If I had any)

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 12:48 PM

Johnny Gs downtown building is up for sale

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie5 View Post
Johnny Gs downtown building is up for sale
Main st or Exchange District? I dont see it on commercial MLS

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Supposedly the foundation was to far gone and the owners couldn't save the house. The new house will use brick from the old house and is similar in design. It honestly sounded legitimate that the house couldn't be saved. And the owners are trying hard to replicate what was there. I guess we will see. I'm on the fence on this one.
It sounded a little bit like "the structure wouldn't allow us to do a gut reno" to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan