HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
It's really too bad. This would have been a significant addition to activity uptown.......and filled a significant chunk of empty space in Market Square.

I've read that at least part of the problem was a much lower level of interest from local families than they had hoped. Halifax, given it's size, is probably a better bet to find enough local families to send their kids there at 15k+ tuition.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:46 PM

Somebody finally purchased 115-119 Hazen (the Medical Arts Building) on 24 Jan for just $180,000. It's totally gutted and will need a ton of money, but IIRC plans exist for ~18 units plus commercial on the ground floor. Maybe de Jong and Steepleview (along with the upcoming diocese office conversion and a lot of smaller renos between Charles and Paddock) are attracting interest to this part of Waterloo Village.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 1:06 PM

The glass is now being installed on the new patio enclosures on the boardwalk. MP Wayne Long posted a picture.

Last edited by DyAm00394; Feb 12, 2024 at 1:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Somebody finally purchased 115-119 Hazen (the Medical Arts Building) on 24 Jan for just $180,000. It's totally gutted and will need a ton of money, but IIRC plans exist for ~18 units plus commercial on the ground floor. Maybe de Jong and Steepleview (along with the upcoming diocese office conversion and a lot of smaller renos between Charles and Paddock) are attracting interest to this part of Waterloo Village.
I've always liked that building, ever since my pediatrician's office was in there as a child

I hope you're right about the renovations, it would be a great space for more housing and some offices on the ground floor.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
The glass is now being installed on the new patio enclosures on the boardwalk. MP Wayne Long posted a picture.

Interesting. I guess for some reason I was expecting more of a rollup glass garage door type arrangement. The fronts and roofs are fully openable.....right?

Even the steel framing looks a little more massive/enclosing than I was expecting.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Interesting. I guess for some reason I was expecting more of a rollup glass garage door type arrangement. The fronts and roofs are fully openable.....right?

Even the steel framing looks a little more massive/enclosing than I was expecting.
Honestly in the renders it seems like the doors and some parts of the glass pop out for the summer?

https://ehq-production-canada.imgix....?auto=compress

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Honestly in the renders it seems like the doors and some parts of the glass pop out for the summer?

https://ehq-production-canada.imgix....?auto=compress
I'm beginning to think that I misunderstood what was planned here. I was assuming something very easily opened or closed from one day to the next. Something like open on nice summer days, closed in when it's rainy or cool and foggy..... or open on an exceptionally nice spring or fall day but closed when it gets cool around sunset. Something to the point that you could be eating under the sky and if it started to sprinkle they would push a button and close the roof. Parts of Quincy Market in Boston are (or at least used to be) like that. The patio fronts and sloping roofs were retractable and could be opened or closed in 30 seconds or so.

From what that render suggests it sounds like these might be much more of an involved process.....maybe something like a crew coming to disassemble them on certain date in the spring for the summer and then they would be left that way until fall when panels would be reinstalled?

Slightly disappointing if that is in fact the case.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 3:34 PM

Quote:
I'm beginning to think that I misunderstood what was planned here. I was assuming something very easily opened or closed from one day to the next. Something like open on nice summer days, closed in when it's rainy or cool and foggy..... or open on an exceptionally nice spring or fall day but closed when it gets cool around sunset. Something to the point that you could be eating under the sky and if it started to sprinkle they would push a button and close the roof. Parts of Quincy Market in Boston are (or at least used to be) like that. The patio fronts and sloping roofs were retractable and could be opened or closed in 30 seconds or so.

From what that render suggests it sounds like these might be much more of an involved process.....maybe something like a crew coming to disassemble them on certain date in the spring for the summer and then they would be left that way until fall when panels would be reinstalled?

Slightly disappointing if that is in fact the case.
I definitely thought the metal frames would be to allow a garage door style enclosure as well.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 5:03 PM

Quote:
I definitely thought the metal frames would be to allow a garage door style enclosure as well.
I guess we should reserve judgement until they are done and we see how they actually function. Time will tell if this was the right design for this application or a bad choice. Hopefully the former!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:00 PM

In the comments of Wayne Long's this comment was interesting.

"are the patios going to be closed in?"

Wayne Long: "Retractable."

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
In the comments of Wayne Long's this comment was interesting.

"are the patios going to be closed in?"

Wayne Long: "Retractable."
Yeah....hard to visualize how those door sized framed panels on the front or the big rectangular roof panels could "retract" but I guess we'll know soon enough....

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post

Wayne Long posted another photo:

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 6:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This actually looks quite promising. I wonder if there is a risk of overheating in the summertime with all that glass? I presume there will be ample opportunities for ventilation. I can't imagine them not taking this into consideration.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

This actually looks quite promising. I wonder if there is a risk of overheating in the summertime with all that glass? I presume there will be ample opportunities for ventilation. I can't imagine them not taking this into consideration.
There will be a HVAC system, as well as mechanical and electrical systems included for the patios. It wasn't part of the original tender for the patios construction, so they sent out a separate tender for that. https://www.country94.ca/2024/01/25/...slip-upgrades/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 3:33 AM

Apparently store employees are saying that Cannabis NB is opening a new SJ location uptown. This one will be where King Canna used to be at 76 Germain Street. Opening scheduled for mid-April 2024.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 12:06 AM

Another picture from MP Wayne Long of the new year-round patios progress. He said they will open like an accordion.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 12:11 AM

Not the most attractive or stylish looking thing ever are they?
The metal framing seems way too heavy/chunky looking for the height and width of the structure to my eye. (way out of proportion)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Not the most attractive or stylish looking thing ever are they?
The metal framing seems way too heavy/chunky looking for the height and width of the structure to my eye. (way out of proportion)
It’s a bit of an optic illusion from that angle. There is another pic someone posted inside and it’s very wide. If I can find it I’ll post. That glass is very heavy (pic of worker kneeling on a pane completely supporting him) so I imagine they need large supports to carry the load. The HVAC system alone they’ll string along there would be heavy.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 11:57 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 1:45 PM

Once construction is done on Market Square and at Fundy Quay those patios will look amazing. Can only imagine sitting inside of one having a nice lunch with multiple cruise ships in and Fundy Quay built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces