HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yep, exactly. Everything being built in the city right now is "luxury" and being priced as such. Not only is it putting price pressure on long time residents, but attaching "luxury" to everything is also making the developments easy targets for residents to organize opposition against.
It's the same here in South Florida. All new developments have the description "Luxury" attached to them.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 5:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Florida in that respect is a lot easier to build in. I mean we are not seeing the asinine time tables from blue print to conception that we see here in NYC. And in some respects, South Florida if I may draw a case study is pumping out the units. Seems like every other day a 500-1000 unit development has shovels in the ground. Some tall but some also bulky. Even smaller multi-families, we are talking in the range of 100-200 units. Smaller can work. When we factor in potential frequency of smaller multi-families, it starts to add up.

Getting rid of some of the tough requirements for office conversions can help. Things like bloody window lighting, having to be in a certain portion of the unit. Encouraging more micro units. Easing the process of single room units.

Some of those low rise Queens neighborhoods need to be rezoned. A lot of potential.

Kathy and the state needs to have the balls to have a heavy handed approach on this. A vacancy rate of less than 1.5 percent is ridiculous. Eventually it will cost the state tax payer dollars as folks consider other options and that is no bueno.

Way things are going, we may see a return to hyper dense building occupancy numbers due to all the recent migrants as well. The illegal housing (illegal units) market will skyrocket. 50 people living in a small unit... so on and so on. Already happening as I speak.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
https://w42st.com/post/hells-kitchen...ousing-crunch/

Hell’s Kitchen Skyline: NY Lawmakers Consider Lifting Building Height Restrictions Amid Housing Crunch

by Dashiell Allen
April 3, 2024

Finally!!!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
This mere discussion we're having here and the posted article itself show how denser NYC/NY MSA could become. What stop it of being denser, to build much more, is legislation, lobbies, selfish anti-urban bigoted people.

What has happened to big world-class cities like London, New York are horrible. Regular housing there has become luxury item. Whereas average income there are twice, three times higher (PPP) than metropolises on middle-income countries, housing is like 10x more expensive. That's not sustainable or desirable.

I welcomed @muppet here in São Paulo from London in December and even though we've discussed this subject several times before, visiting friends around on central São Paulo, it's crazy to compare on the ground what regular young people can afford down here and it's impossible to afford in London. And SP is perceived as an expensive city to live.

I know there are other factors on playing (e.g. foreign money poured on real estate), but what London/New York can do about it is to build more, to make easier to build all kinds of housing. It's the only possible answer. To register: even though São Paulo population is not growing fast (on the last census grew slower than both London and New York for the first time), it's building like crazy. It updated zoning 10 years ago and areas that haven't seen new constructions for decades have now new highrises popping up in literally every corner.
Cities are seriously letting society down. How many more big cities are just going to price everyone out because they encourage more conditions that uphold hurdle for building residential units and providing for a growing population? We need large cities to provide a good example of living for all income levels, yet so many are failing at that.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 5:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Cities are seriously letting society down. How many more big cities are just going to price everyone out because they encourage more conditions that uphold hurdle for building residential units and providing for a growing population? We need large cities to provide a good example of living for all income levels, yet so many are failing at that.
There is no learning curve either. People always say, well... than move to a cheaper city or region. Ok.. ok... ok... but than that cheaper region becomes expensive and eventually, it will hit a limit. I mean folks aren't going to move to Frogballs Nebraska is the economy in Frogballs Nebraska can't support or make it feasible for folks to move there in the first place.

Sad part is that that its slowly manifesting to whole states.

Gated community vibe will eventually stifle regions or cities.

Folks said... move to Texas. Now Texan cities are pricing folks out. Folks said move to Tennessee, now the only real powerhouse metro in the state is inching its way to unaffordability. Unless one wants a long commute, miles away... it can be feasible in a lot of expensive regions but is that really making a vibrant metro? Eh... not really.

No learning curve. Future generations will be in trouble if these trends keep up and that will kill long term potential and prosperity.

There is literally a fuck ton of land that could be built on or even bought out. Sometimes I see these multi-families rising and always underwhelming. Large plot... and they only build 3 to 4 floors. Why not 12. It starts to add up over "X" number of developments. Sometimes near rail lines. NJ as an example. Always underwhelming and really due to community requirements and asinine zoning. Something that should be centralized and forced by the state. For the greater prosperity of the state.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 3:22 PM

I could google it but I'd rather have someone from SSP explain it to me: clearly this 12 FAR rule does not actually apply strictly, otherwise all those towers that recently went up in NYC just couldn't exist.

Is it because all those supertalls for billionaires bought the air rights of every other property around them all the way to the point where they literally meet the 12 FAR cap with all the land square footage whose 12x area they control via air rights?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There is no way to build anything but luxury. Nothing pencils out. They got rid of 421-A. So it's luxury or heavily subsidized, nothing else.
Exactly. 100% correct.

Even in much cheaper markets than NYC, it's quite hard to justify building anything non-luxury. I'm looking at building a 10-story tower (~150 units) in my hometown's downtown, and the math doesn't work out unless I can tap into that new $15 billion that was just announced by the Feds to help developers build stuff.

The worst part is that unlike NYC, where luxury will always find buyers, in my hometown, non-luxury doesn't have a good business case (like everywhere else, construction costs being crazy high), but luxury ALSO isn't that safe a bet, because I can't be sure there'll be enough interested wealthy people.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I could google it but I'd rather have someone from SSP explain it to me: clearly this 12 FAR rule does not actually apply strictly, otherwise all those towers that recently went up in NYC just couldn't exist.

Is it because all those supertalls for billionaires bought the air rights of every other property around them all the way to the point where they literally meet the 12 FAR cap with all the land square footage whose 12x area they control via air rights?
1. Some areas have height limits greater than 12 FAR.
2. Some programs let you increase height limit if you have a portion of affordable units.
3. Some buildings buy air rights.
4. Some buildings have setbacks, such that they get higher height but narrower building on a bigger lot.

Its usually a combination of the above.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions