HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
I hope to see this kind of repurposing for the Hayden flour mill in tempe!
I don't think that building would be good for condos. I just don't think it has the size, but maybe I'm wrong. In my opinion they should be trying to mimic Minneapolis' Mill City Museum.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
I don't think that building would be good for condos. I just don't think it has the size, but maybe I'm wrong. In my opinion they should be trying to mimic Minneapolis' Mill City Museum.
I’ve visited that museum. It’s definitely interesting and would it be fun to see a similar approach here.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:20 PM

Phoenix Children's Hospital is in the process of getting a PUD to govern future development. Doesn't look like there are any immediate plans, but the long-term plan is to replace the one-story bulidings along Thomas with 10-12 story mid-rises.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-25-20n.pdf

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:52 PM

I like it! Although, I think there should be a hotel as part of this PUD (unless I missed it). A 10 story hotel to accommodate family, visitors and traveling physicians/medical professionals seems like it would be a good fit. Unless that's the "short residential stay" component?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Phoenix Children's Hospital is in the process of getting a PUD to govern future development. Doesn't look like there are any immediate plans, but the long-term plan is to replace the one-story bulidings along Thomas with 10-12 story mid-rises.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-25-20n.pdf
Interesting.

I thought they broke ground on the new ER wing - but I don’t see that on the map. I do wonder how many of these are new - a lot of the zoning seems to overlap existing buildings - including the main tower itself.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:48 PM
Skyriser

It looks like they're going to demo that huge 1 - 2 story building on the corner of 20th and Thomas in phases probably and consolidate them on the midrises, then eventually build another patient tower roughly the same size as the current one.

And yeah, a hotel is probably what they mean by "short residential stay"--never heard it described like that before.

Will be an impressive facility at buildout. Unfortunately Phoenix doesn't have any history of supervillains to hold it hostage some day.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 6:07 PM

I have a building on Virginia on the south side of the road. They have sent a couple of letters regarding the zoning plans and there have been no mentions of construction of any type at this point. They have to seek neighborhood approval before moving forward with anything, though. The neighborhood is predominantly working class Spanish speaking renters so I don't believe the meetings will be well attended.

They do subsidize some tenants who live in the immediate neighborhood whose children are in the hospital long term and I have heard rumors through the grapevine that building their own temporary housing will save them a lot of money, so that's the intent.

Where it says medical/associated services on the map is currently a parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 6:38 PM
Skyriser

I'm curious as to what that public process looks like once they have the PUD on their property. The point of PUDs is to avoid that sort of thing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 7:29 PM
Skyriser

It also looks like that 1-story building has been there since 1961, just extensively renovated. I can imagine them wanting to get rid of it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
It also looks like that 1-story building has been there since 1961, just extensively renovated. I can imagine them wanting to get rid of it.
Isn’t that the current ER building? If so that won’t come down until the new ER facility is completed.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Isn’t that the current ER building? If so that won’t come down until the new ER facility is completed.
Yes, it was the old ER - the new ER apparently is completed. So construction could be ‘soonish’ I’d imagine...

https://www.phoenixchildrens.org/loc...-hospital-main

Nice map towards the bottom...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:27 PM

Saw the below posted on FB by the Phoenix Historical Society regarding the impending demo of the Steinegger Lodge at 27 E. Monroe (wedged between Renaissance Hotel Ballroom and Hilton Gardne Inn). Figured people here might be interested. Building will probably come down despite their pleas to save it. Very very tough economically to restore it.

****IMPORTANT NOTICE! ****

Good evening fellow Historians

We (Phoenicians) are in big trouble. The owner of the Steinegger Building at 27 E. Monroe has applied for a demo permit. The Steinegger Building or affectionately known as Steinegger’s Lodge/Golden West Hotel, was built in 1889 and is the second oldest commercial building in Phoenix. Believe it or not, it's pretty intact with many of its original details. This isn’t just a building, it is a key part to Phoenix’s great past. The Steinegger’s contributed a great deal to the Story of Phoenix, being immigrants, farmers, prominent figureheads in the confectionery business. To top that off, they were early buyers of downtown lots, erecting the lodging house after the railroad came into Phoenix, and they also donated their money to St. Joseph's Hospital to help them become what they are today.

The Owners meet next week for a demo permit so there is an immediate need to initiate designating it on the Phoenix Historic Property Register. Please help us bring awareness to the preservation of this great Downtown Phoenix ICON! I fear, without knowledge of this history the City will issue the permit for demo. We are at risk of losing yet another vital piece of Phoenix history, we can't let that happen.....THIS CANNOT HAPPEN!!

We have attached a few photos of it's great past and a map from 1890 showing Steinegger's building at just under one year of age then. We have also posted the emails to the Mayor and all 8 City Council districts. Please take a few minutes out of you busy day to contact them and voice your concern for keeping Phoenix History in place!

Share this post with your friends and neighbors!

mayor.gallego@phoenix.gov
council.district.1@phoenix.gov
council.district.2@phoenix.gov
council.district.3@phoenix.gov
council.district.4@phoenix.gov
council.district.5@phoenix.gov
council.district.6@phoenix.gov
council.district.7@phoenix.gov
council.district.8@phoenix.gov

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide View Post
Saw the below posted on FB by the Phoenix Historical Society regarding the impending demo of the Steinegger Lodge at 27 E. Monroe (wedged between Renaissance Hotel Ballroom and Hilton Gardne Inn). Figured people here might be interested. Building will probably come down despite their pleas to save it. Very very tough economically to restore it.

We (Phoenicians) are in big trouble. The owner of the Steinegger Building at 27 E. Monroe has applied for a demo permit. The Steinegger Building or affectionately known as Steinegger’s Lodge/Golden West Hotel, was built in 1889 and is the second oldest commercial building in Phoenix. Believe it or not, it's pretty intact with many of its original details. This isn’t just a building, it is a key part to Phoenix’s great past. The Steinegger’s contributed a great deal to the Story of Phoenix, being immigrants, farmers, prominent figureheads in the confectionery business. To top that off, they were early buyers of downtown lots, erecting the lodging house after the railroad came into Phoenix, and they also donated their money to St. Joseph's Hospital to help them become what they are today.

The Owners meet next week for a demo permit so there is an immediate need to initiate designating it on the Phoenix Historic Property Register. Please help us bring awareness to the preservation of this great Downtown Phoenix ICON! I fear, without knowledge of this history the City will issue the permit for demo. We are at risk of losing yet another vital piece of Phoenix history, we can't let that happen.....THIS CANNOT HAPPEN!!

We have attached a few photos of it's great past and a map from 1890 showing Steinegger's building at just under one year of age then. We have also posted the emails to the Mayor and all 8 City Council districts. Please take a few minutes out of you busy day to contact them and voice your concern for keeping Phoenix History in place!

Oh no another hideous old POS building with no inherit value outside of age..... what ever shall we do!

Expend effort saving things worth saving.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:56 PM

Does anyone have any good pictures of the building pre-1935? This is the only decent shot I've seen of the exterior.

I've NEVER seen any interior pictures either... And Newman's was a bit before my time - so haven't even seen any 'recent' interior pictures.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:04 PM

According to this article, I thought it was already listed both in the Phoenix and National Historic Property Registers?

https://dtphx.org/tag/steinegger-lodging-house/
https://npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/do...t/86001369.pdf

I came across a site couple of months ago that showed the inside of it as well, looked awesome. I'll see if I can find again...

Edit: Found some other pics at the following site: http://www.historyadventuring.com/20...x-arizona.html

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:16 PM

So what are they trying to put there? I would seriously doubt anything good. Looks VERY small. I bet they want to tear it down for surface parking. In which case that would be awful.

On the other hand, this building has been boarded up forever. If they replace it with say a nice skinny tower, I could live with that. But I doubt that's the case.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide View Post

Is there a planned project for this site? In addition, what use/purpose does this "building" have? I say, let it go... let it go....

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
So what are they trying to put there? I would seriously doubt anything good. Looks VERY small. I bet they want to tear it down for surface parking. In which case that would be awful.

On the other hand, this building has been boarded up forever. If they replace it with say a nice skinny tower, I could live with that. But I doubt that's the case.
Someone posted a rendering of a tall, skinny tower not too long ago but I have no idea how to find it again...

Edit: Spoke too soon, found it! And of course it was Crested! LOL

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=16854
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Has anyone ever seen this rendering for a tower adjacent to Hotel Monroe? I know that once upon a time, there was a tower proposed for there and it fell through. However, I saw a big yellow banner behind Monroe about 6 months ago indicating the property was available for a mixed use development and that banner is no longer there. So, just wondering if this is something new or if it was an old proposal?

https://allenphilp.com/portfolio-pos...oenix-arizona/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Someone posted a rendering of a tall, skinny tower not too long ago but I have no idea how to find it again...

Edit: Spoke too soon, found it! And of course it was Crested! LOL

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=16854
LOL I Donot believe that at all but .... he ya know I really hope thats the plan.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:57 AM

I realize the irony of promoting preservation on a development forum buuuuuuuut I’m going to be a devil’s advocate. Will keep my rant short-ish.

Despite my support for most developments and some demos in downtown, I am fully opposed to this demo. The property is too important a piece not only for the remaining downtown fabric but its legacy. Too much of the historic downtown has been ripped down for the current monoliths that, in this day and age (especially in light of the pandemic), have left us with dead-zones and single-use tenants.

It’s not so much that the structure is “old” why I advocate for its protection but because it embodies everything we criticize so many newer projects downtown for lacking. Zero setbacks, lacking off-street parking, 100% lot coverage, as well as aesthetically pleasing IMO. I understand it was built to accommodate its era but aren’t these are fundamentals that both planners and urbanists are trying to return to?

Granted, not all development is good nor is all preservation, see the pink liquor store on the 7th Ave in Melrose for a perfect example, but I’m not for its demolition because it’s been boarded up for a long time. There needs to be some checks/balances with developers in downtown as interest in the core grows. If the envisioned tower can somehow incorporate the existing building into its base, I am 100% for it! And we’ve seen cases where developers can incorporate historic structures for unique projects like the Stewart and upcoming Home 2 Suite in the Warehouse District. We’ve also seen where advocates and residents focus on preservation and have won here such as the 1918 home on north Central Ave and the David-Gladys Wright House in Arcadia.

I don’t propose the perfect solution nor do I have the funds towards its continued existence but I will be contacting city hall and relevant sources to state my case.

This post isn’t targeted at anyone, just my opinion, and for some, insight into why some people advocate for old buildings vs replacing them when they become burdensome.

Rant over

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest