HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 5:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Another explanation that occurred to me is that 2100 N Southport will no longer be in the 2nd ward and will instead be in the 32nd. If Sterling Bay has several projects that will end up switching wards, they may be trying to approve as many projects as possible while Hopkins is their alderman.
Ahhhh.... didn't consider the remap! Gotta get your votes from Brian Hopkins while you still can before NIMBY Waguespack takes over.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 8:01 PM

Sterling Bay plans big apartment building next to Lincoln Yards

Rendering of the building from Crains:

Quote:
A Sterling Bay joint venture wants to construct the 359-unit building on a vacant property at 2031-2033 N. Kingsbury Ave. that it acquired from steelmaker A. Finkl & Sons in 2016, according to a zoning application filed with the city.

To comply with the city’s Affordable Requirements Ordinance, the project would include 36 units set aside for low- and moderate-income renters, according to the document. The Sterling Bay venture would also pay $5.1 million into a city affordable housing fund.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...-lincoln-yards

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 8:59 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I like the Kingsbury, build it.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 9:49 PM

Decent infill that looks like it could be found in Anycity, USA. Pretty tall of the area (right now, at lease).

I could see some NIMBY pushback result in a couple sacrificial floors get lopped off the top. I think a solid number of neighbors are eager to relitigate Lincoln Yards at every turn.

I assume SB is looking to take new "Connected Communities" TOD ordinance? I believe this is within .5 miles of the Clybourn Metra and the Armitage CTA stop.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Decent infill that looks like it could be found in Anycity, USA. Pretty tall of the area (right now, at lease).

I could see some NIMBY pushback result in a couple sacrificial floors get lopped off the top. I think a solid number of neighbors are eager to relitigate Lincoln Yards at every turn.

I assume SB is looking to take new "Connected Communities" TOD ordinance? I believe this is within .5 miles of the Clybourn Metra and the Armitage CTA stop.
As time goes on I'm more convinced that maybe the focus on architecture from a distance isn't what we should be going for. I feel the architecture should focus on the human experience at ground level.

I'm in Boston now, temporarily, and Boston certainly does not build signature towers but it does exceed at building for people who walk by.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 3:10 AM

Quote:

I don’t think it’s anycity USA. This would by “high end design” for the mid sized cities under 1 Mil where 5 over 1’s are par for the course

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:

I'm a little confused as to why you would criticize this as decent infill that could be built in any city. This isn't in the central business district. Until they build the skyscrapers of Lincoln Yards, it's significantly taller than anything surrounding it. This is a big development for the area.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 12:59 PM

there are maybe 5 cities in the US where you could see something like this. and 2 or maybe 3 where you would see this is a residential neighborhood far from the CBD.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
there are maybe 5 cities in the US where you could see something like this. and 2 or maybe 3 where you would see this is a residential neighborhood far from the CBD.
I think this thing is on par with the nicer multifamily work in places like Atlanta, Nashville, Salt Lake, Twin Cities, Arlington VA, etc. as well as sunbelt cities throughout Texas, Arizona, and Florida.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 5:04 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
As time goes on I'm more convinced that maybe the focus on architecture from a distance isn't what we should be going for. I feel the architecture should focus on the human experience at ground level.

I'm in Boston now, temporarily, and Boston certainly does not build signature towers but it does exceed at building for people who walk by.
Boston's success at ground level is mostly about putting parking underground, so there is more active frontage, fewer blank walls. And they have a higher design standard for sidewalks around new development - granite curbs (which are standard in New England), brick pavers, proper landscape.

In Chicago, underground parking is almost never done. The only recent one I can think of is One Chicago, but that also has significant parking above ground. Or we have the multi-level streets hack in certain areas, which effectively puts the parking underground but at a lower cost.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:51 PM

1665 N. Throop and 1687 N. Throop both have pending permits, so they may start before the end of the year

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 7:32 PM

According to Construction Journal, Sterling Bay has received bids to also develop 411 units on parcels D2-D3. They're looking to start construction in February. If anyone has a Construction Journal account, posting any information you can access on the project would be appreciated!

Quote:
The Project is located at the Lincoln Yards South development, Parcel sub-areas D2 & D3. The project consists of 411 units between two towers, all landscaped areas surrounding the towers including the plaza and portion of the riverwalk, and a bridge on level 3 that connects the towers and spans over the plaza. It is bound by Concord Street, the Chicago River, the park Parcel B.1. The anticipated GSF for both towers combined is 495,000 SF. This consists of approximately 406,000 SF Residential, 40,000 SF Retail, 23,000 SF Amenity, and 20,000 SF Back of House. There is also an additional 37,000 SF between Exterior Amenity, Balconies, and Terraces.
https://www.constructionjournal.com/...6fad922ff.html

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 7:58 PM

Quote:
The Project is located at the Lincoln Yards South development, Parcel sub-areas D2 & D3. The project consists of 411 units between two towers, all landscaped areas surrounding the towers including the plaza and portion of the riverwalk, and a bridge on level 3 that connects the towers and spans over the plaza. It is bound by Concord Street, the Chicago River, the park Parcel B.1. The anticipated GSF for both towers combined is 495,000 SF. This consists of approximately 406,000 SF Residential, 40,000 SF Retail, 23,000 SF Amenity, and 20,000 SF Back of House. There is also an additional 37,000 SF between Exterior Amenity, Balconies, and Terraces.
I assume they're talking about this sucker, based on the location and description:

Sterling Bay

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 8:07 PM

Ah, good catch! It's likely the red buildings since they're along the river and the project description mentions a riverwalk. The glass buildings are 1665/1687 N. Throop.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Ah, good catch! It's likely the red buildings since they're along the river and the project description mentions a riverwalk. The glass buildings are 1665/1687 N. Throop.
Yup! The bridge between the buildings is also a dead giveaway.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 9:32 PM
TL;DR

Interesting, what is the bridge for? Is it for parking access? Shared amenities? Or just an architectural flourish?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 9:41 PM

I totally forgot this could even start soon. It's going to be really interesting seeing

a) these high rises right next to the Home Depot
b) How people deal with any sort of public transit in this area ...

I don't do it much but every once in awhile I drive on Elston thru this area and it's hard to even imagine what this area could look like in a decade. I've seen it before (like Long Island City in Queens, NYC) but it's still just hard to imagine.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 10:31 PM

Very happy to hear work will begin on the next piece of this project. It's by far my favorite large-scale project in the city given its location. Looking forward to more construction in the area this upcoming Summer

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 7:12 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I totally forgot this could even start soon. It's going to be really interesting seeing

a) these high rises right next to the Home Depot
b) How people deal with any sort of public transit in this area ...

I don't do it much but every once in awhile I drive on Elston thru this area and it's hard to even imagine what this area could look like in a decade. I've seen it before (like Long Island City in Queens, NYC) but it's still just hard to imagine.
Except LIC is a massive transit hub and LY has no transit except a sad Metra stop and a handful of bus connections.

I think Sterling Bay can build tall here, it just won't be as urban or walkable as we'd all like. It will be more suburban in function, with big parking garages etc. The new Throop bridge will improve traffic flow through the area too, for awhile at least, so SB should be able to put up a few highrises before they run into serious traffic problems.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Except LIC is a massive transit hub and LY has no transit except a sad Metra stop and a handful of bus connections.

I think Sterling Bay can build tall here, it just won't be as urban or walkable as we'd all like. It will be more suburban in function, with big parking garages etc. The new Throop bridge will improve traffic flow through the area too, for awhile at least, so SB should be able to put up a few highrises before they run into serious traffic problems.
FWIW, I do appreciate the effort to bring 606 under the Kennedy and into the "transit" component of LY. Also, I hope they follow through with moving that Clyborn Metra stop into LY as well.

And if the North Branch scope of development really does materialize over the coming years, there's all sorts things CTA/Metra can do to try to further integrate transit.

So it sounds like this next building will start in the next couple months then?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development