HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 3:09 PM

Hard to tell from those renderings, but I think I like it. Somewhat classical styling that fits the Square reasonably well, but an avant garde roof with a nice departure in shape.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:18 PM

So they're not razing the Dilworth House. And it doesn't even look like a fascadectomy. It just looks like they're building the tower behind it and quietly altering the back to forge the house and the tower together. I fail to see what the hoopla is all about given how much the Dilworth House is being preserved.

The tower's design itself is good. But I personally don't like how the tower and house are so separated. A better example is the St. James, which also incorporates a Starbucks into the historic townhome at its base. In the developer's efforts to placate NIMBYs, it seems like a lost an opportunity to put something to help energize the Square, like a cafe or restaurant space. Washington Square is not Rittenhouse Square, but why can't it strive for more engagement with the public realm?

Regardless, between the Dilworth's House preservation, the design that minimizes the tower's presence (to a fault), and the modest height, the developers really conceded a lot. I think it's time for the NIMBYs to shut up and move on.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:38 PM

Big fan of this project, there's no reason why historic commission shouldn't approve.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:55 PM

McBane, I don't think that attaching a modernist design to a neocolonial house as the Dilworth House is a feasible idea. The St James is attached to a pretty sturdy turn of the century masonry building, which is why it's successful. I would've loved to have seen the Dilworth House tower a just bit more taller (200+ ft), but whatever is going to help with the city's density, I'm all for it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
So they're not razing the Dilworth House. And it doesn't even look like a fascadectomy. It just looks like they're building the tower behind it and quietly altering the back to forge the house and the tower together. I fail to see what the hoopla is all about given how much the Dilworth House is being preserved.

The tower's design itself is good. But I personally don't like how the tower and house are so separated. A better example is the St. James, which also incorporates a Starbucks into the historic townhome at its base. In the developer's efforts to placate NIMBYs, it seems like a lost an opportunity to put something to help energize the Square, like a cafe or restaurant space. Washington Square is not Rittenhouse Square, but why can't it strive for more engagement with the public realm?

Regardless, between the Dilworth's House preservation, the design that minimizes the tower's presence (to a fault), and the modest height, the developers really conceded a lot. I think it's time for the NIMBYs to shut up and move on.
Not sure this one is about the NIMBYs. They wanted amenity space for the residents. Without the ability to build much taller in this spot (I think), the best place for that was the existing structure so all the tower floors can be residential units. As a general matter, I'd like to see more restaurants and retail on and around Washington Square too and so would its residents. It's turning the corner a bit with the Curtis Center. And they are trying to market this building on 6th for retail as well. https://www.google.com/maps/place/60...!4d-75.1511114 Talulahs Garden has been a good addition.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I like it. Build it. It's gonna be in the millions for each unit is my guess. Washington West is great in having a park right in your front yard, and a lot quieter than Rittenhouse Square if that's your thing.
Has to be. Full floor units with potentially a bi-level penthouse (or someone at least buys it as such). Would love to know unit size, but I'd think these start no lower than $2 million.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 3:11 AM

I'm not into height boners, but this is one building that would benefit from 50 to 100' of vertical. It looks very stubby to me

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I'm not into height boners, but this is one building that would benefit from 50 to 100' of vertical. It looks very stubby to me
Agreed....Washington Square Park is probably my favorite place in the city, is there a reason they aren’t going higher? I can’t imagine a place like this would have trouble selling.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Agreed....Washington Square Park is probably my favorite place in the city, is there a reason they aren’t going higher? I can’t imagine a place like this would have trouble selling.
It's honestly weird how short it is. I think it looks like a good solid design and they're completely preserving the Dilworth house. Preserving historic architecture and producing well designed buildings is unfortunately all too often used as a bargaining chip in Philadelphia. Normally developers go the extra mile in exchange for something like a taller building so they can sell more units.

I feel like they could say preserving the Dilworth is only economically feasible if they build 2 or 3 times higher and they probably get away with it. I mean you can see in the renderings how Penn Mutual and Independence Sq tower over it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:57 AM

Yeah I think that's exactly why it's so ridiculous that NIMBYs are trying to block it. It's surrounded by taller buildings

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I think there are about 6 overlays on this particular parcel that limit height and impose other restrictions. But I do think they could add a few floors. The project approved for this spot in 2007 by the Historical Commission was 16 stories. The floor plans are also a bit odd and scrunched with some tiny bedrooms and a very skinny and shallow master suite on many of the floors. The setbacks off 6th and Randolph are great and make for some amazing terraces for the bi-level penthouse unit. But I'm not really sure why they could not build flush against the Athenaeum all the way through the building (and after the Athenauem ends) instead of setting back after the first 4 floors or so in that direction. The building is about 42 feet wide fronting 6 street and steps back throughout, ending up only 32 feet wide (after the 4th floor) fronting Randolph Street. Would afford some better layouts if they had/had been about to maintain the same width throughout.

Last edited by jsbrook; Feb 14, 2019 at 12:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:31 PM
Philly Pholly

Popular area!

CC 2-28-19 f

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 5:08 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Nice, job well done! And, it would be nice if the proposal move forward and we get something.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 5:45 AM

https://www.philly.com/real-estate/h...-20190412.html
The historical commission gave approval for the project.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 2:05 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Very good to see this go forward.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
https://www.philly.com/real-estate/h...-20190412.html
The historical commission gave approval for the project.
It's a bummer it won't be a Venturi building in the end. Would have been one of their final commissions, certainly one of their last in the city too...

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 12:17 AM

From PlanPhilly:

Society Hill’s Dilworth House condo tower wins final city approval

http://planphilly.com/articles/2019/...-city-approval

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 7:17 PM

Still floating around...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 8:24 PM

Walked by the site today, literally no change since I had last been there... over a year ago. Even the renovations on the house itself seem to have come to a complete halt.

She might be dead.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 5:19 PM

Finally some movement on this??? Who can read the article?

After 20 years of ownership, Turchi sells Dilworth House to Philadelphia developer

Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive