HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 5:56 AM

University of Manitoba

Seeing as a number of topics about the U of M have been poping up lately, we should start a U of M thread.

To start it off here is a link to The strategic plan for the U of M.

http://umanitoba.ca/images/banners/U...ort_web(1).pdf

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 1:30 PM
What could go wrong?

Andy was asking in the stadium thread about and new residential at the U of M.

The are renovating Tache hall to be the new home of, i believe Music - should start 2009 - $30 mil +

They are constructing a new 200+ unit student residence on D-lot in 2009 - $15 - $17 mil - Friesen Tokar

As well as a new Pembina Hall student residence in 2009 - 300 to 400 unit - $20 to $40 mil - Ray Wan

....much more coming but they need to nibble away at it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 3:10 PM

Yes this series of projects was called project "Domino" as it saw numerous departments move buildings and have upgrades so that it suits everyones needs better. We have a bunch of WFP articles on back in the Winnipeg Construction Thread.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 11:13 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no woder the u of m is building all these sump pumps on their site...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 1:41 AM

I'm happy my Bio-Sci department is taking over the old Pharm building because we need the space - labs most importantly. However, the old Pharm building is in very sorry shape. I'm hoping for the best. On the surface, I love the concept of Project Domino.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 2:35 AM
Capitalist

There are rumours of new retail being developed within the campus. If the stadium and new sports plex is built, I would expect it to go somewhere in that area.

Although there are plans to expand the UofM business park, so some retail may develop in that area as well.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 3:33 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
There are rumours of new retail being developed within the campus. If the stadium and new sports plex is built, I would expect it to go somewhere in that area.

Although there are plans to expand the UofM business park, so some retail may develop in that area as well.
if the u of m does it right they could make them selfs a nice little cash cow to subsidize the lost parking revenue from building the rapid transit line phase 2

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
if the u of m does it right they could make them selfs a nice little cash cow to subsidize the lost parking revenue from building the rapid transit line phase 2
Lost parking revenue ... there won't be any lost parking revenue. Even with a rapid transit line, there are so few spaces at the U of M compared to the number of students, professors, support and admin staff that this won't be an issue. Parking generally sells out in a single day (provided their system can handle the traffic, which it didn't this year).

More retail would still be great however as it would add to the operating budget for the university, which thanks to low levels of funding from Provincial and Federal governments is no where near where it should be. A grocery store on campus is needed so that would be a good start.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 2:27 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
This is where I work. The owner is in talks with the University to construct a new standalone building for the company. However, that was earlier this year and our business is directly tied into the automotive industry. With that said, we're still hiring and are nearly out of space here.

Also, is that Grain research centre (that was announced over the summer) a go, or no?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 5:55 AM

From the Winnipeg Free Press

U of M opens Aboriginal House

Updated: September 19 at 02:16 PM CDT

A new building dedicated to the nurturing of the University of Manitoba's aboriginal community had its formal opening today.

Aboriginal House, a $6.7-million edifice of tyndall stone and wood opened to welcoming remarks from university and aboriginal leaders past and present.

Ovide Mercredi, former national chief of the assembly of First Nations, U of M law school graduate and former president of the first Native Students Association in Canada, was among the speakers.

Justice Murray Sinclair of the province's Court of Queen's Bench was the master of ceremonies.

New university president David Barnard spoke on behalf of the U of M.

Aboriginal House is located on the campus' southwest corner, near the Faculty of Education. It was built to be a meeting place for members of the university's aboriginal community and will house aboriginal programs and services.

There are about 1,600 aboriginal students at the U of M, about seven per cent of the student body.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan